PDA

View Full Version : How can I obtain this color using henna?

Finnebon
June 9th, 2014, 06:36 PM
So here is my hair indoors and outdoors. It looks slightly red, but mostly is just dirty/blond or light brown.

http://i.imgur.com/ZlhXxBe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zbduD8V.jpg

It is much more dark and browner at the roots, and kind of fades naturally in the length.

I would like to get this color. This is the actress that played Elizabeth in The Walton's 70's-ish tv show. I always LOVED her hair, and as she grew up, it got darker and deeper colored. What color would you call this? I wouldn't mind if my hair was slightly more coppery than this, but I do really like this color as-is.

http://i.imgur.com/xAlxoj4.jpg

I would prefer to not have bright coppery hair, but like more of a chestnut? Would that be a more accurate description? Could I obtain this shade with my hair using only henna? I know it gets darker the more times you apply it. How often can use henna?

TIA! :D

lunalocks
June 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Your hair is a beautiful color. Please try something temporary if you mus color your hair. you might try a catnip or rosemary rinse to get some red highlights.

VanillaTresses
June 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
With as light as your starting color is I would say that it is going to end up bright and coppery with henna. I have blonde hair naturally and have used henna in various combinations and strengths on and off for almost 10 years now. To be honest, I am always weary about trying to match a color whether by chemical or henna, but especially with henna. :twocents:

tbonita
June 9th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I think indigo would have to be involved to brown it up like that (in small amounts!!!) but I must agree with the above posters when I say (a) your hair and its color is GORGEOUS and (b) with henna/cassia/indigo it's kind of hard to match up.. And it will look different in every light! If you're very very sure about it we can maybe help come up with some ratios? Always strand test on shed hair, and please know that henna/indigo cannot in theory be removed.

Shatam1
June 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't change ANYTHING about that beautiful color of yours:) your hair is just gorgeous:heart::blossom:

spidermom
June 9th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I agree; you have gorgeous hair with perfect color. If you must change it, please use something that will gradually fade away.

P.S: I wouldn't call that dirty blonde. It's more of a honey blonde on my screen. The other color that you posted I would call auburn.

Loviatar
June 9th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I have no sensible advice, but oh my goodness your hair is amazing.

Seconding Spidermom on the honey blonde remark.

Finnebon
June 9th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Wow :bigeyes: thank you all for the compliments! You're all so nice! Hmm ok so I guess I'll start calling in honey blonde! xD

So you think henna would definitely make it more coppery? I was thinking about doing a henna gloss with 1:3 or 1:4 henna:conditioner and see how that goes.

To be honest, I'm planning on cutting it. To APL or maybe BSL. I'm 25 but just yesterday I was again asked if I am in high school... People look at me and still think I'm about 10 years younger than I am! It's very frustrating, and I know I'll "appreciate it when I'm older", trust me, I hear that every. single. time! lol

I'm going to try to cut it so it's more of a mature look to maybe help? It's been a pain only being able to find part time minimum wage jobs, I can't live on that! So I'm hoping I'll be able to find a real job easier if I look older? Or at least look my age. It's kind of lame, because I do like my hair this length, and I've been struggling with this decision for MONTHS, but I've pretty much decided that I'll cut it.

I do really love henna'd hair. But it's been at least 5 years since I've dyed it so I'm a little nervous! I know henna is a definite commitment since it can't be removed, but if I can get a color I really like, I wouldn't mind the monthly touch ups.

Anyway, long story short, I just need a change :)

Shatam1
June 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM
OMG... No don't cut it please.... Why don't you put it in updoes ??! That will give you the mature look you are looking for without having to go to drastic measures. I had that very young look when I was your age too and putting my hair in low buns, Spanish style always gave me that mature wise look I was desperate to portray.. Of course it is your decision and I shouldn't be telling you what to do or not to do.. I just dont want you to regret it as it takes maybe ten fifteen minutes to cut it but years to grow it back, so decide wisely what you reallllllllllllly want:) Good luck

Shatam1
June 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM
If you absolutely want to do a henna gloss I would suggest very little henna in your conditioner, if you don't like it it will eventually fade with washing. I helped a friend of mine do that and there was no henna visible in her hair after almost four months. We added one table spoon of dye released henna in a cup of conditioner.. More like a mug.. So let's say cup and a half. Now she does it once every six months just for the strengthening effects and to give a redish shimmer to her strawberry blond hair. And just like you she has no greys yet:)

tbonita
June 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM
If you cut it, can you send all that glorious hair to me so I can put it on my poor pixied head? Lol good luck with what ever you choose :)

Misso
June 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Your hair is stunning! colour and all.

ARG
June 10th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Not a henna head, but just popped over to say your hair is beautiful. I have BSLish hair and I'm also 25, I've had chin length hair and the shorter my hair is, the younger people mistake me. After I had my daughter, two years ago, someone thought I was 14... I understand how irritating it can get, but its just a phase in our lives that we will soon miss.

I say, invoke the 2 week rule before you do anything to that gorgeous mane of yours. I know you can sometimes achieve a brown color from a ratio of henna/indigo, but have you thought about trying manic panic or even a paranda? It might help you out of your boredom.

spidermom
June 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I understand wanting a change. I don't understand thinking that a haircut will make you look more mature. There are a lot of high school and even middle school girls running around with APL and BSL hair.

I agree with a former poster that an updo would do more to give you a mature appearance. That's one reason that I avoid buns. I look old enough without them.

But if the whole purpose is because you crave a change - have at it. Hair grows back.

lapushka
June 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
With henna most of it depends on your starting color. Your hair is a mid-tone blonde (not brown in the least), so when applying henna you are going to end up a coppery brassy orange. Not like the picture - at all. You might obtain that with lots of applications, but not in one go. I agree with the posters who have stated that if you want to try, then try a semi-permanent first. Henna can't be gotten rid of easily when things go south, and you'll have ruined all that length - for nothing.

Finnebon
June 11th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Oh gosh, you're all so nice! :inlove: haha. I have been thinking it over for months, but I'm so indecisive. I'm so waffley, I keep changing my mind. On one hand, it would be nice to have it a bit shorter and actually styled for once, but on the other hand, I would be chopping over 2 years of growth. I also LOVE putting my hair up in a nautilus bun. I do it for work, and have it up in that way a lot at home too. I don't need any tools, no hairties, clips, bobby pins, hairsticks, nothing. Just hair wrapped up in a certain way is enough to keep it very secure and last for hours and hour. I'm so in love with this bun style since it's so easy and I'm pretty lazy lol. But if it's shorter, I don't think I could do it in this style anymore.

I might change my mind again later on, but right now, I'm thinking maybe instead of a big chop, I'll just try bangs again. And possibly doing just a henna gloss? Just for a light sheen to see how it would look? What do you guys think? Are there any suggestions for a style of bangs that look good with long hair?

Quasiquixotic
June 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I am also in the don't cut or color your beautiful beautiful hair camp, full of people who don't really get to have an opinion :eyebrows:

I think it's more what bang style looks good with your face. Do you have a long forehead? Do you want to style them everyday? Personally I like fringe bangs over a blunt bang.

Wallabear
June 12th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Don't dare touch scissors! OMG! O.O You have GORGEOUS and I mean G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. hair!!!! Color and all. The color is MY dream color. Think very carefully before you do something drastic you may regret! I'd die to have your hair... lol!

Wallabear
June 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
If you want a change... change how you style your hair. Try new types of buns, braids, parts, and any combination thereof. Try new hair accessories etc.