PDA

View Full Version : thickness

cat-lady
June 9th, 2014, 03:45 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Weewah
June 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Shampoo bars? Maybe henna? Have you checked out the fine/thin thread?

Edit: here you go! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115

FoxyGhost
June 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Henna if you don't mind the color change, Cassia if you do.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Microtrims help thicken the ends while keeping the length. You only trim the length you grow every month. You won't get any length though.

Flor
June 9th, 2014, 03:58 AM
If your hair has always been on a thin side, there's nothing much you can do. You can't produce new hair follicles. Making sure your diet is balanced and your health is in check is one way to try to influence the thickness of individual strands and the length of anagen phrase, but there's a limit to that as well, due to gens. Some shampoos and conditioners have ingredients (not just silicons) that coat each stand of hair, making it more coarse and slightly thicker. Henna's been known to have similar effect.

If your hair is wavy, you could try enhancing its natural pattern, it'll make it look thicker.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 9th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Henna if you don't mind the color change, Cassia if you do.

FoxyGhost, you and I are hair twins I think! :)

Anabell
June 9th, 2014, 04:59 AM
If your hair has always been on a thin side, there's nothing much you can do. You can't produce new hair follicles.

This is right, but you can try to reach to your fully potential by proper diet and good hair care (carefully handling, protect the ends and etc). You can also massage your scalp to encourage hair growth. Then, if you want more volume than you have you can see what hairstyles allow you to achieve that look in a damage free way (for example: no heat curls, vortex bun, Henna\cassia treatments to thicken up the individual strands).

*The actual thickness and the volume is two different things. There are people with hair on the thickest side but very highly compressed, and in the other hand there are people with hair on the thinner side but full of volume due to the texture.

FoxyGhost
June 9th, 2014, 05:59 AM
FoxyGhost, you and I are hair twins I think! :)

Yeah, just add a little more wave to mine and some henna to yours! ;)

cat-lady
June 9th, 2014, 06:42 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

divinedobbie
June 9th, 2014, 10:48 AM
If you want to go jet black, from the bits I've picked up reading (never done it myself) you'd have to do a two step process with henna, and then indigo. you will find tons of information on that in the recipes and herbal section.

meteor
June 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Cassia, henna and protein treatments can help increase volume and somewhat increase the individual hair strand thickness.

Genetic thickness (hair density) is not something you can increase, but you can try to reach your genetic potential via healthy whole-foods-based diet (healthy fats and proteins, lots of veggies), regular scalp massage with oil, exercise.

An easy way to increase overall thickness is to limit breakage: avoid mechanical, heat, chemical damage. Use quality detangling tools, treat hair as "antique lace", sleep on smooth materials (silk satin), avoid ponytail holders with metal, etc.

Anje
June 9th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Good haircare can sometimes make a fairly dramatic difference. I've heard of some people gaining an inch of circumference after joining LHC and changing their hair-handling. (Me, I gained 1/4". :p)

If you have any health conditions, addressing them can make a major difference. Anemia, hypothyroid, PCOS and the like are all common causes of hairloss. If your hair is substantially thinner than it once was, it's worth checking up on these things.

Some of us have to live with hair that's thinner. You might be one of them. I am -- I have 2.5" of circumference, and there's not much I can do to change that fact. I can fluff my hair up, I can wear it sleek, but at the end of the day I have the number of follicles I have. That's OK -- I like my hair. You can learn to like your hair too, as it is.

Finally, I encourage you to actually measure your hair, if you haven't. Make a ponytail, measure the circumference right below the ponytail holder. See what the number really is. You might have thin hair, you might just think that you do. I've seen a number of people whining that they have i hair, and when they measure it, their hair falls into the iii category. There's nothing wrong with having thin hair, but it's worth seeing these things with open eyes and objective measurements, rather than only your own perceptions of yourself.

ExpectoPatronum
June 9th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Shampoo bars DEFINITELY gave my hair more volume and body, which made it appear thicker. You could give those a try.

cat-lady
June 10th, 2014, 04:30 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ErinLeigh
June 10th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Good haircare can sometimes make a fairly dramatic difference. I've heard of some people gaining an inch of circumference after joining LHC and changing their hair-handling. (Me, I gained 1/4". :p)

If you have any health conditions, addressing them can make a major difference. Anemia, hypothyroid, PCOS and the like are all common causes of hairloss. If your hair is substantially thinner than it once was, it's worth checking up on these things.

Some of us have to live with hair that's thinner. You might be one of them. I am -- I have 2.5" of circumference, and there's not much I can do to change that fact. I can fluff my hair up, I can wear it sleek, but at the end of the day I have the number of follicles I have. That's OK -- I like my hair. You can learn to like your hair too, as it is.

Finally, I encourage you to actually measure your hair, if you haven't. Make a ponytail, measure the circumference right below the ponytail holder. See what the number really is. You might have thin hair, you might just think that you do. I've seen a number of people whining that they have i hair, and when they measure it, their hair falls into the iii category. There's nothing wrong with having thin hair, but it's worth seeing these things with open eyes and objective measurements, rather than only your own perceptions of yourself.

nice post! OP Focusing on health and appearance of it is fine, but love it while you do, as it's beautiful right now. :)
As far as thickening, I don't have much to add beyond what has been posted..but if you hair handles humectants well (honey, glycerin etc) I find those help my hair appear fuller.

AmyBeth
June 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
My hair is so fine it is transparent when it falls into a white tub or sink even though I'm brunette. It was also very thin, probably not much thicker than a pencil. Using all the good advice here (careful handling, udpos, satin sleep cap, henna, massage) my hair has easily doubled in thickness. It's not just me that noticed, after about 6 months, DH and DDs 1 and 2 noticed. You really can maximize your potential and see a difference if damage and breakage are occurring and thin your hair out as it grows.

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I agree with the right oils/ henna treatments and scalp massages you really can see a difference. But be patient, it will take some time for the new growth to catch up to your length.

Silverbrumby
June 10th, 2014, 11:04 PM
if you hair is chemically dyed black and you use heat, like a dryer or flat iron then expect an increase in volume when switching from these practices. A friend of mine who dyes her hair black gets lot of breakage.

cat-lady
June 12th, 2014, 05:14 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Mine is 2.5, also. The real bummer is that when I started on the LHC years ago, it was 3".