PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo and conditioner making me break out..?

battles
June 8th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I've noticed that when I use commercial shampoo, conditioner or body wash that I get little tiny red bumps all over my chest and shoulders. It's extremely frustrating with it being so hot out.

Does anyone else get a reaction like this, and what do you use instead? Any tips, thoughts? :(

meteor
June 8th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I think it's not uncommon for certain conditioners to cause break-outs on some people's skin. You could either look for another conditioner with simpler and shorter ingredients list, or use vinegar rinses and oils/butters as pre-poo and/or oil rinse and leave-in. Acidic rinses and oils don't replace conditioners completely but they do have some conditioning effect.
Another thing you could try is using tub/sink when conditioning your hair, so the conditioner is not touching your back.

If the shampoo is causing it, just make sure you apply only to scalp and rinse with your hair tilted away from your body. If the body wash is causing this then obviously you need to replace the body wash with a product that has ingredients you trust.

Anje
June 8th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Definitely, some people get acne from products, most often conditioner. However, lots of tiny red dots sounds more like dermatitis to me -- you might be allergic to one of your products, particularly if it itches.

Nope
June 8th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I got pretty bad bacne when I was using products with silicone, so that may possibly be your problem. If not, you can still try clipping your hair up in a loose bun while your conditioner is in to keep it off your back.

lapushka
June 9th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I'd say it's about time for a doctor's visit, especially if it doesn't clear up with different products. If you're allergic, it's better to have it tested.