PDA

View Full Version : people with i hair waist length and beyond, hair styles and routine

Agnes Hannah
June 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hi I have i fine hair, and currently wear a cinnamon bun with claw clip, but would like some inspiration to try something a little different. I do the WCC method to protect my fine ends, and this is working well for me. I also use serum every evening, braid it and put it in a silk sleepcap. Would appreciate some hints and tips from other long haired fineys, thanks

greenmagic
June 8th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Right now I use a SO technique and rarely will get water on my head. If I do the water has been through my Berkey water filter and ACV has been added to ensure no chemicals from our "drinking" water is left on it. Normally I put my hair up in a bun when I shower but I don't put a cap on it.

I braid my hair normally once a day, maybe twice. It might seem boring but being a guy you start to get looks when you have it up in a bun a lot even though I do enjoy wearing it that way. I braid my hair after getting into work as I ride a motorcycle and doing it in the morning before riding would be a mistake. After I get to work I use my BBB long before people get into work and brush out my hair then part it and braid.

Sometimes I do the two part twist braid but mostly a three part braid as it is the fastest and easiest to do. That said it still is difficult to part my hair 3 ways evenly even after 16 years of practice. After my hair is up I might use my BBB on just my scalp to make sure my hair is straight and then I won't mess with it till the next day.

On the weekends I tend to take my hair down longer and brush it a lot more. On average I go about 2 months between getting water on my head but I would like to go farther.

Normally I will only involve water when I accidentally touched my head too much while working on my bike. My hair is waist length, and now fairly straight after doing mostly SO but it use to be wavy. It is very shiny and extremely soft; I would venture to say softer than silk.

I should mention I sleep in a hammock and on a satin comforter or sheets depending what time of year it is so my hair sees little friction at night.

Agnes Hannah
June 9th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks Greenmagic. I braid mine at night only unless I'm wearing a paranda. Mostly it is up in a claw. Like you I use a BBB to smooth down if needed, or a very fine tined comb especially for fineys. Friction is kept to a minimum with a silk sleep cap and pillowcase for added protection.

Kherome
June 9th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Do a LWB or Nautilus.

AmyBeth
June 10th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Spin pins come in very handy to hold sticks in place. They are also very much more comfortable that bobby pins. If you are as thin/fine as me, you might find that the weight of the whole updo hangs on one or two strands of hair when it's held in bobby pins, which can be very uncomfortable. You should try cassia to see if it has an effect on your volume. It seems to me, looking around here, that it's the fineys who notice more fullness with it. Henna amazed me with how thick it made my hair, but it adds color (which I wanted) and it is also permanent (which I wanted) and it is also a protective coating on my hair (which I wanted). Cassia does protect and thicken but it does not add color, and will wash away after a few shampoos if you don't like it. I also love love love my parandas because they are pretty, easy, very comfortable and make your braid look thicker and longer. You can wear them down or put them up in buns.

Agnes Hannah
June 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Thank you AmyBeth, I love parandas' too. Maybe I should use them a bit more,they give my hair thickness and extra length which is great!

Madora
June 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Accent crown braid using 2 strands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Easy to do and comfy. I use crimped hairpins to keep it in place.

Agnes Hannah
June 12th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks Madora, going to try that one, it is really pretty, and would look amazing with a flower!

Madora
June 12th, 2014, 03:21 PM
My pleasure, Agnes Hannah! You can also use the same technique with 3 strands, though it's a bit tricky.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Basically, just be as gentle with it as possible. A satin pillowcase is good. I always braid my hair for the night, and tuck the braid inside my nightgown or whatever I'm wearing. Keep the ends conditioned. I wear mine up except while it's drying. Don't let the wind get to it.

Achlys
June 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I have i/ii hair with some taper, but it's not dramatic. It's about 2 inches past hip, I believe? I've been mostly CO for over a year, but I do shampoo occasionally if I've been using a coney conditioner. I wash every 2-4 days. I sometimes pre-oil or oil very lightly after washing, but not very often. I use a BBB to distribute oil in these cases. I only have coconut oil at the moment, but I've used others. I loved jojoba, for example.

My hair is up pretty much all the time nowadays, but I used to wear it down a lot until it got past waist. I usually do a nautilus with a stick or a cinnabun using a ficcare-type clip, sometimes U-pins (really lazy when it comes to learning new styles). I bun it (beebutt with a scrunchie) for sleep and use a satin pillowcase. Braids didn't feel very protective for me. I fingercomb and then detangle/brush with a tangle teezer every morning and evening. Also when I have to redo my bun. I make sure to detangle before washing my hair and gently fingercomb while I'm rinsing out the conditioner.

I use henna, but I haven't noticed an effect on hair thickness. It has made my hair straighter, though. I used to have slight wave, now only my ends flip.

So, nothing special, really? Mostly it's just "put it up and forget about it".

pinchbeck
June 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I don't know which type of hair I have, but do know it is between thin to medium thickness and multitextured (canopy is straight, interior is wavy). Currently it is waist length (2" past my elbows).

My hair gets washed every two days with fragrance free shampoo that sometimes contains sulphates and added salicylic acid to combat the white stuff on my scalp and it gets conditioned with cone free conditioner and I try to avoid quats (they tend to leave a coating on my hair). I will detangle my hair wet if I feel there aren't many tangles, but if there are I wait until it is dry and apply a bit of coconut oil to provide slip.

Daily my hair is worn in one simple braid. I wish I could tie it up or back but it has always been uncomfortable. It's too bad because I am missing out on pretty updos. At night my hair is worn loose because securing it any way drives me batty.

Pallas
June 14th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I have had thin and limp hair for a really long time, and I always had scalp cleavage issues, whether it was up or down. I went water only a while back and I really didn't expect that to do anything other than save money, but it ended up giving my hair on top wayyyy more body and helping the hairs kinda stay in place instead of parting in weird places. I don't know it you also have hairloss or above average shedding, but for me it slowed down my shedding rate dramatically, and I'm seeing tons of new growth.
I know WO is a commitment and not for everyone, so I'm not trying to talk you into it or anything.

Other than that, I try to french braid my hair a few passes bofore doing anything like a bun or ponytail, because it really helps distribute the weight more evenly for me, so I don't get those weird sensitive pulling strands as much.

As for oils, I like light oils that don't weight down my hair, jojoba. But I recently discovered castor oil, which is thick and heavy, and yet works for me because using a very tiny amount somehow really sets my curls so that the length of my hair keeps its texture throughout the day and doesn't get all deflated looking :shrug:

pinchbeck
June 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Other than that, I try to french braid my hair a few passes bofore doing anything like a bun or ponytail, because it really helps distribute the weight more evenly for me, so I don't get those weird sensitive pulling strands as much.

As for oils, I like light oils that don't weight down my hair, jojoba. But I recently discovered castor oil, which is thick and heavy, and yet works for me because using a very tiny amount somehow really sets my curls so that the length of my hair keeps its texture throughout the day and doesn't get all deflated looking :shrug:

I like how you worded "weird sensitive pulling strands".

How do you distribute castor oil on your hair when it is so thick? Emulsifying it between my palms has never worked and I have a big bottle of it sitting here collecting dust.

nuvola
June 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I have i hair (2.3 inch circumference) and just reached hip. I really love my apricot kernel oil, which is in my opinion very light. The other thing i use as a leave in is sheabutter.

I wash it twice a week which works perfectly for me. Most of the nights I sleep with a very low Lazy wrap bun.

My day to go style is a bun like Nuvibun, lazy wrap bun etc. Sometimes I braid, but that's not too good for my tips/ends.

Honestly, I don't do that much for my hair and just let it grow :)

pinchbeck
June 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
My day to go style is a bun like Nuvibun, lazy wrap bun etc. Sometimes I braid, but that's not too good for my tips/ends.

Braids aren't good for the ends of hair? Why? Maybe this is why I have a ton of split ends!

Agnes Hannah
June 16th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Braids aren't good for the ends of hair? Why? Maybe this is why I have a ton of split ends!

When I tried growing my hair in my 20s, I used to plait it for bedtime, and tie off the ends, and this caused no end of splits. Now I plait it without tying off the ends,because I put oil or serum on the ends beforehand, this helps to hold the braid before putting on my sleepcap, and tucking in the braid. It stays like this til morning, and I have had few problems with splits. I gave my hair an S&D session a couple of days ago for the first time in about 6 months.

nuvola
June 16th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Pinchbeck, well I think it is different from hair to hair, but first the hairtie at the ends applies some pressure on them and second while sleeping the sensitive ends rub against each other and thereby get damaged.