PDA

View Full Version : Barber thinned my hair.. question about hair growth

TheIronicIron
June 8th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Hey friends. My hair was pretty thick and i liked it that way but after learning that if I want to grow out my hair I need to trim it every now and then (big mistake) I went to the local haircut shop and told the lady what I wanted done. She trimmed the edges, got rid of my little curls I had at my neck (nooo) and I only realised after she had done it but she had thinned my hair out with thinning scissors.

If I want it to go back how it was (not that there is much of a difference), instead of cutting it off and starting all over again could I let it grow out and when it touches my shoulders, just cut off a nice 4 inches like how long it is now and the rest will go to natural thickness? Or will it always grow how it is since being thinned until I shave my head like shawn the sheep? I want to know so i can settle the mind games. Small problem I know but hey this is a hair forum. lol :cool:

farmlass
June 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Sorry about the misunderstanding with the hairdresser, unfortunately it seems all too common :( Anyway, personally I'd let it grow and just see what happens. You will probably have to trim away the thinned out ends, but as your hair is short at the moment, it may actually end up fairly even by the time it reaches shoulder length. You may not have to trim as much as 4 inches to even it up.

ErinLeigh
June 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Agree. Wait and see how it grows out. If it looks thinned or mullety you may want to do small maintenance trims until it thickens up. In the other hand, the cut looks quite nice actually so you may find it grows out well. I don't think shaving head is needed at all

Give it a month or 2 then send us an update to review :)

spidermom
June 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I agree. Grow and trim the bottom as needed.

TheIronicIron
June 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your input! I think I will grow it to my desired length, then grow it a little more, then trim back to that length, and all this I would do anyways as to maintain length, and it will even out perfectly. Have an awesome day.

SnowbirdRose
June 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Hello TheIroniIron- The last time I went to a hairstylist for a trim she used thinning shears on my hair. I'm growing out a pixie cut and have baby fine hair. It is between chin and shoulder length. Why would she use those type shears on fine hair?

chen bao jun
June 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah, grow it out and then cut off the bottom.
Expect a while while it looks even thicker as the thinned part starts to grow and shoves the rest outward, if you know what I mean.
At least now you know to never let that happen again. It's amazing how barbers and hairdressers just do what they feel like and don't even tell you sometimes until they are done.
Personally, I think thinning out your hair is a dreadful idea and not a real solution to thick hair, if it is troubleseome for you, but i have heard of people who like to have it done. To each their own. They should ask, though.