PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the aftermath (of a shed)

kitcatsmeow
June 7th, 2014, 08:03 PM
So I'm not sure exactly why...Either extreme stress, my crohns flare and the lack of proper nutrients as a result, or just neglect (washed it once a week and it pretty much stayed in a bun 6 days a week) but my hair went through a pretty nasty shed. It's not THIN but....ugh it's definitely thinner. I lost a lot of thickness and every time I braid my hair it makes me sad. One braid is probably as thick as two used to be. And It's finally waist length.

I managed to stop the shedding with cayenne serum and castor oil but now I'm dealing with the fact that it's much less hair. Luckily I had a lot to begin with but I have fine hair so it looks thin. I keep thinking I should just suck it up and cut a couple inches to get rid of the very thin ends but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it/

What do you guys think? Should I let it go a couple months and see it I can thicken it up a bit and then trim or just get it over with?

GrowingOut
June 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM
If you're worried on ends, MICROTRIMS ARE YOUR FRIEND! Waist is a very good place to trim, as you have a never-changing marker of where to cut, while still able to keep your length!

MiaBeth
June 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Sorry you have had such shedding issues!! My ends are way thinner than the rest of my hair, and I've often gone the route of trying to cut back to where it appears thicker. But I usually regret it. My approach now is to try a different hair style to busy myself and reevaluate after a month. Usually I feel better about things :)

Leeloo
June 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
So sorry to hear about your shed :flowers: I'm not sure if you should trim or not. Maybe wait a little until you are sure what you'd like to do. I'm sure your hair looks lovely.

BrendaLoan
June 7th, 2014, 08:21 PM
There is a member here on the LHC, Emichiee, who has a hair related blog. Among other things, she writes about hair loss and microtrimming. You could find useful information there http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com.ar/search/label/hair%20loss

Sarahlabyrinth
June 7th, 2014, 08:21 PM
My ends are much thinner too after a big shed last year from stress, I lost about a third of my thickness. I decided to grit my teeth and allow it to continue growing as I preferred the thought of longer thinner hair than shorter thicker hair. Now , a year later, I have regained the thickness again although it will take some years to move down to my ends, of course. Once I reach my goal I will probably microtrim to allow the thickness to move down the length.

Hugs - it is AGONISING having great wads of hair falling out every day, I know just how it feels.

Bopoluchi
June 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM
im recovering from a shed too :( what stopped it for me was kalonj / black seed oil. i have a lot of hair but its fine and i was losing quite a lot so my hair looks much thinner to me. my hair is classic length, i was thinking of cutting to tailbone, but i just left it and now i feel better about my hair, its still pretty cool, so im going to just let it be, maybe microtrim a bit more than usual. so i agree with Leeloo and recommend just waiting a bit, leave your hair alone for a few weeks until you're more relaxed about it and then make a decision.

MungoMania
June 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
There is a member here on the LHC, Emichiee, who has a hair related blog. Among other things, she writes about hair loss and microtrimming. You could find useful information there http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com.ar/search/label/hair%20loss

Yes definitely, Emi wrote the book on coping with thin ends.

Drosmand7
June 8th, 2014, 01:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. It probably is the Crohn's, as it is an autoimmune disease and any flares disrupt the normal homeostasis of the body, causing disruptions such as hair loss.

I know with Crohn's you are limited in diet but make sure you're getting as much balanced nutrients as you can.

For hair shed prevention: make sure protein and iron levels are sufficient.

For hair shed recovery: I'm sure the other girls are better than I to answer that questions.

Flor
June 8th, 2014, 02:12 AM
If you were shedding for the reasons stated, then neither serums or oils would have stopped that. It must have stopped because the cause was addressed (benign neglect wouldn't have caused it, btw).

As for what to do with the hair as it is now, it's entirely up to you. If the initial condition that caused the shed was treated, then you're likely going to start getting a lot of new growth soon, but it won't look drastically different until that new growth is long enough to make the rest of the length look thinner in comparison, which will happen in a year or so. Until then it's just about the looks. If you don't like thin ends, trim them. If you want to keep the length, don't trim. It makes no difference to new regrowth, just the looks of your hair as it is now.

mira-chan
June 8th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry you have had to experience the health issues and this shed. I, like Emichiee, have had a pretty nasty shed because of a medical problem. I've also had mini shed flares afterwards as well until I got my vitamin issues addressed. My shed happened a while ago but I was already at hip/tailbone length at the time and it takes a while for the new hair to catch up. As my on and off shedding left my hair tapered anyway I opted not to trim till I got to goal length and then maintain. I've been maintaining for almost 3 years now and there's definitely been improvement. I'd say I have a year or so more to go.

If you like the length you are at now, then maintain, trim all new growth off and the new hairs will grow and catch up as your health improves. There are styles that are possible at waist for thinner hair, play with those instead of braids. Braid thinness was an issue for me for a while as well, and I wore buns more instead until the braid thickened up at least halfway. It's now to the point of "graceful taper" instead of "thick -BAM - thin" so things will improve with time and some trimming. :flower:

kitcatsmeow
June 9th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all your replies and encouragement! Very helpful.
I think I'm going to compromise and do a small trim on the summer solstice. I'm thinking 1/2-1 inch as that won't set me back much and will get the worst of the whispy ends off. Plus I've started taking "care" of it again. Benign neglect worked fantastically for a while but now it's time to encourage growth and pamper. I do believe the oils and serums work even if it was a nutrient issue (which I have solved). Certain oils can reduce hair fall and improve grip to some extent no matter what the reason of loss is. I've also been doing some treatments like coconut milk/olive oil/egg yolk, and that has greatly improved the texture and strength. I haven't done any treatments or deep conditioning treatments in....oh gosh, over a year!

Being diligent with my supplements as well should help :)

Either way, I'm just grateful that it has STOPPED falling out :joy:

Flor
June 9th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Certain oils can reduce hair fall and improve grip to some extent no matter what the reason of loss is

Sorry, but no. There's no such thing as "grip" when it comes to hair follicle renewal. Once each individual hair goes into telogen stage, there's no reverting it back, with oils or whatnot.

truepeacenik
June 9th, 2014, 08:49 AM
But certain nutrients and fatty acids could be absorbed by skin, I'd think.
So, maybe, maybe the roots get some benefit, along the lines of applying vitamin c serum to wrinkled skin.

The other option would be decreasing follicle diameter, trapping hairs a bit longer.

I'd love to get some sources on "grip" and what it meant in original use.

mira-chan
June 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I'm glad your stopped falling out! Yea I need to be very on top of my supplements otherwise things go downhill quickly, ugh. I'll be trimming on the solstice too, they make nice time points for trimming.

kitcatsmeow
June 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
But certain nutrients and fatty acids could be absorbed by skin, I'd think.
So, maybe, maybe the roots get some benefit, along the lines of applying vitamin c serum to wrinkled skin.

The other option would be decreasing follicle diameter, trapping hairs a bit longer.

I'd love to get some sources on "grip" and what it meant in original use.

Ecactly! Your not stopping the cycle but rather discouraging and fighting it. Look into Myrrh Essential oil.

Flor
June 10th, 2014, 04:20 AM

But what would be the point of that? It's like avoiding to massage the scalp, because it makes hair that's ready to shed come out in bulk instead of one by one during the day? If it finished its cycle, it will come out eventually. Either now or in a few days/weeks. And in the meantime it won't grow, because it's past growing stage already.

I do see a point in preventing follicles from going in telogen stage. But now sure how much topical application of oils and serums can affect that, if there's a condition that's causing the excessive shed.

ErinLeigh
June 10th, 2014, 05:06 AM
kitcatsmeow I am so glad to hear the major shed has stopped for you. I think doing some hair care right now is a great idea. It will be soothing to start giving your hair some attention and encouraging it to look its best. I find certain treatments not only help my hair, but help me mentally to start appreciating my hair again instead of looking at the negatives of it.

As far as cutting, I think your microtrimming plan sounds good. It would be hard to cut back a lot at once I imagine after all you went through. Dusting ends makes a noticeable difference so I would try that first and analyze from there how you feel each time.
Congratulations on reaching waist by the way. From the pictures I have seen your hair is gorgeous in color, texture and style. I am sure it still looks incredible.

kitcatsmeow
June 10th, 2014, 06:05 AM
kitcatsmeow I am so glad to hear the major shed has stopped for you. I think doing some hair care right now is a great idea. It will be soothing to start giving your hair some attention and encouraging it to look its best. I find certain treatments not only help my hair, but help me mentally to start appreciating my hair again instead of looking at the negatives of it.

As far as cutting, I think your microtrimming plan sounds good. It would be hard to cut back a lot at once I imagine after all you went through. Dusting ends makes a noticeable difference so I would try that first and analyze from there how you feel each time.
Congratulations on reaching waist by the way. From the pictures I have seen your hair is gorgeous in color, texture and style. I am sure it still looks incredible.

Thank youso much! Couldn't agree more. It's definitely making me feel better.
I did decide to get a trim on the 13th (full moon) And according to the lunar chart it's the best day for thickness! So I'm thinking 1/4-1/2 inch. Maybe more depending on my mood. What I've learned through all this is it's ONLY HAIR. There was a time when i was obsessed with growing my hair out and although I still want long thick beautiful hair, I know there are more important things. And I will eventually have what I want (especially looking back at my shoulder length hair when I first started regularly posting on LHC and seeing how far I've come!)