PDA

View Full Version : hair breaking in small pieces - what caused this?

Radiant
June 7th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I have waist length hair, which has been breaking the last couple weeks with brushing. I notice that it tends to shed in many small pieces though - around 1 inch in length. After brushing my hair thoroughly there will be a dozen or so of these small pieces of hair laying on my bathroom counter. Also, as weird as this sounds while combing out my wet hair after washing I'll get little tiny almost "fur balls" at the ends which seem to be where little pieces of hair have broken off and tangled around my ends creating a hair ball that I have to remove. Never had anything like this happen before. Could it be too much protein? I ask because I'd been using a hair mask frequently that's labeled as a reconstructor? What would you suggest I do if this is the problem beyond stop using protein products and increase moisture products? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 7th, 2014, 03:41 AM
What do you brush with, what kind of brush? Also when you comb, do you start at the ends and work upwards?

ErinLeigh
June 7th, 2014, 03:52 AM
You could try some heavy moisture masks to test to see if its too much protein causing it. That way you can cross it off your list once way or the other.
I am sorry to hear about the breakage knots. :( I hope you find what is causing it.

Radiant
June 7th, 2014, 04:00 AM
What do you brush with, what kind of brush? Also when you comb, do you start at the ends and work upwards?

I generally use my Aveeda paddle brush, or a goody ouchless brush that I've had for years.

Yes, after washing when I detangle I will start 1-2 inches from my ends, detangle that, then move up a few inches more etc.

You could try some heavy moisture masks to test to see if its too much protein causing it. That way you can cross it off your list once way or the other.
I am sorry to hear about the breakage knots. :( I hope you find what is causing it.

Thanks. I'm planing to probably clarify, and then use some Loreal Mega Moisture deep conditioner letting it sit for a good while.

On second thoughts, could it even be possible this is caused by dry shampoo? I wouldn't think so, but I've never been one to use dry shampoo and just recently have started using Batiste dry shampoo every other day or so. That's the only thing I can thank of that's changed, beyond using the protein hair mask. By the way the hair mask says on it do not use more than twice weekly, and I did not exceed that. Thanks again for the help in sorting this out.

Kikina
June 7th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I have a similar problem and I though that it's because I haven't had a proper trim in quite a long time, but now I realise my hair feels a bit dry lately... Should I go back to oiling it for that matter? :confused:

Weewah
June 7th, 2014, 05:21 AM
I think it's the hair mask especially since you said there's a warning on it not to use it often. Your plan of clarifying and using a deep moisture treatment sounds good. I would be a bit scared of even clarifying though, you don't want to break off even more hairs during the clarify shampooing process.

Pseudoavatar
June 7th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I have waist length hair, which has been breaking the last couple weeks with brushing. I notice that it tends to shed in many small pieces though - around 1 inch in length. After brushing my hair thoroughly there will be a dozen or so of these small pieces of hair laying on my bathroom counter. Also, as weird as this sounds while combing out my wet hair after washing I'll get little tiny almost "fur balls" at the ends which seem to be where little pieces of hair have broken off and tangled around my ends creating a hair ball that I have to remove. Never had anything like this happen before. Could it be too much protein? I ask because I'd been using a hair mask frequently that's labeled as a reconstructor? What would you suggest I do if this is the problem beyond stop using protein products and increase moisture products? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Is it just the ends that are breaking, or all around? I used to have this exact same problem when I was still straightening my hair, the hair became so hard and 'crunchy' that any mechanical irritant (brushing, teasing etc.) would break the already hardened hairs into small pieces. After examining my hair at that time, I noticed that there was often already some damage in the lengths, basically there was some damage in some spots where the hair would eventually break. If you examine your hair, you might see it as slight, sharp 'bending' of the hair in some parts. At least if your hair is straight that is.

I think that overusing protein products might have the same hardening effect as heat up to a point, which makes the hair more likely to break. I think cleaning your hair from build-up and then moisturising it will probably help,but not erase the problem completely as the damaged parts might already be there.

Brattina88
June 7th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Protein overload would be my guess. I know I had ends breaking off when my hair needed moisture desperately

ErinLeigh
June 7th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I could be dry shampoo if hair is already really dry or brittle. Try the clarify, deep condition and skip the dry shampoo for a week and see if you notice a change.
If things seems ok then add the dry shampoo back in while keeping an eye on it. Since there are a few variables you will have to work back one at a time until you find what the culprit.
If you are using a protein mask twice a week...are you following it with a moisture mask with enough frequency that hair feels balanced? If you have too much protein your hair may feel brittle, tangly, stiff and strawlike. What is the name of the reconstructor?

jacqueline101
June 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM
When I had this problem it was due to a lack of moisture. I'd micro trim and then I'd moisturize my ends.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Do you have any white dots or split ends in your hair? From previous straightening or using a curling iron. Examine your ends closely, and try and find out.

Radiant
June 7th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Is it just the ends that are breaking, or all around?

I'm not completely sure, but I'd go with the ends. I've noticed that I have quite a few split ends, and as weird as this may sound I never really have been able to find split ends in my hair before. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but the split ends that I see now I've never seen my ends like this before. My ends are also quite dry and my hair tangles badly in the last 2-3 inches.

I could be dry shampoo if hair is already really dry or brittle. Try the clarify, deep condition and skip the dry shampoo for a week and see if you notice a change.
If things seems ok then add the dry shampoo back in while keeping an eye on it. Since there are a few variables you will have to work back one at a time until you find what the culprit.
If you are using a protein mask twice a week...are you following it with a moisture mask with enough frequency that hair feels balanced? If you have too much protein your hair may feel brittle, tangly, stiff and strawlike. What is the name of the reconstructor?

What you're describing sounds like what is going on. Pretty positive it's the mask and too much protein. The name is Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque by Hair Chemist. It says, "Do not use more than twice a week", which I never have, but I have been using it probably 1-2 times per week for the past month or so. Not going to use this product anymore and will deep condition instead.

Do you have any white dots or split ends in your hair? From previous straightening or using a curling iron. Examine your ends closely, and try and find out.

Split ends, yes, which is very unusual for me. May sound crazy to say, but I really don't believe I've had split ends before (or so few they were pretty much unnoticeable). I've been noticing my ends are really bad lately, and inspecting them I can see quite a few split ends. I don't use very much heat on my hair so it's not from straightening or curling irons. I'm almost positive it's protein overload from the mask I've been using.

pinchbeck
June 7th, 2014, 11:23 AM
If I look at my hair closely I see these little white things and will break the hair off myself because it would have broke anyhow. I have a lot of split ends and a lot of these white dots. I wonder if you too have white dots? I've never straightened my hair before nor do I use any hot styling tools and it is still damaged.

I don't use anything special on my hair such as masks and don't colour it. It is oiled from midshaft down with either coconut or jojoba oil and I comb it with a seamless wide toothed comb and don't use any cones. I think my hard water is part of what causes so much hair breakage. It is so frustrating!

Radiant
June 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM
If I look at my hair closely I see these little white things and will break the hair off myself because it would have broke anyhow. I have a lot of split ends and a lot of these white dots. I wonder if you too have white dots?

No, don't have any white dots like you describe.

Think I was way overdoing protein when what my hair needed was moisture. Had been having dry ends and purchased a reconstructor mask, when it was probably the exact opposite of what I truly needed.

Just did a clarifying wash and one hour of deep conditioning, and am going to keep up with the moisturizing conditioner and stay away from the protein. Really appreciate all the help and advise offered here. Hopefully my hair will get back to normal in time.

HumanBean
June 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM
This always happens to me when I am due for a trim. But maybe it's just moisture. Hopefully what you tried works!

longhairedlady
June 8th, 2014, 06:39 AM
When I had this problem it was due to a lack of moisture. I'd micro trim and then I'd moisturize my ends.

I agree, when I have had this issue I moisturize and microtrim if necessary.

Theobroma
June 8th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I haven't had this issue since I started oiling my ends. In my case it was directly related to dryness.

Beborani
June 8th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I wouldnt comb or brush the ends without added lubricants--oil when dry or conditioner when wet--depending on your hairtype. It is natural for older hair to be fragile in the ends due to wear and tear of cuticle and loss of natural lubricant--lipid layer.

Radiant
June 9th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Yes, I'm going to work extra hard to get my ends re-moisturized, and should that fail I'll just cut a few inches. Although I hope to avoid that since just last summer I cut 10 inches, which I then regretted, which prompted me to find this site and decide I wanted long hair. I'm going to purchase some scissors and trim any split ends my self, deep condition after each wash, and use a leave in on my ends.