PDA

View Full Version : I've had a monster in my midst!!!

diddiedaisy
June 7th, 2014, 02:06 AM
When I put my hair up around the house I use a beak clip. But last night I happened to clip it onto my finger. As you do lol. Omg it hurt, it has loads of sharp little teeth I've never noticed before.

Could this be breaking my hair and the reason I cannot even after six months get the back of my hair to look anything other than scruffy. I use them everyday and have done all year ???

eadwine
June 7th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Very likely! I just got two beaks in, they are very pretty but I can see now why ficcares are so much more hair friendly :lol: even though those technically speaking are beaks as well.

Rosa Harris
June 7th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Oh yes any sharp pressure against the hair can do some real damage so its a very real possibility.

I like Flexi 8's myself because they hold well and look very pretty with lots of options - spin pins are supposed to really do the trick too but not tried them myself but seem very hair friendly.

diddiedaisy
June 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM
hmmmm I think I'll think I'll have to look for a replacement. Too bad, they are so easy to use.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I used claw clips instead of beaks. Did the trick and aren't as sharp. I went all the way from APL to almost TBL last time with a claw clip and my hair in a peacock twist (which had to be folded under as I gained more length).

Illia
June 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Recently I've done some extra reading about hair and its cuticles. It really opened my eyes into how even the seemingly safe things people do to hair on a daily basis can harm your hair's cuticles. I've heard many say "Well hair is just dead cells," but if that's the case, than why do we work so hard to protect it and keep it healthy? The several golden rules about hair care on these forums are definitely the way to go. I'd say no to sharp objects in the hair.

I think the misconception with hair is this: Since our hair behaves like fiber when we roll it up and put it in a bun, the way it gives seems to be safe for those teeth. However, it's got to be mashing against the cuticles somehow. If teasing/back-combing ruffles the cuticles, I wonder how those teeth on the beak clip behave.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Recently I've done some extra reading about hair and its cuticles. It really opened my eyes into how even the seemingly safe things people do to hair on a daily basis can harm your hair's cuticles. I've heard many say "Well hair is just dead cells," but if that's the case, than why do we work so hard to protect it and keep it healthy? The several golden rules about hair care on these forums are definitely the way to go. I'd say no to sharp objects in the hair.

Think of hair as a wool sweater, wouldn't wash that on high either, would you, even though it is "dead" material. :)

Illia
June 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Yes, but wool isn't attached to my head with roots. ;)

torrilin
June 7th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Nope. Wool is somewhat less fragile when it's attached to a sheep. But off the sheep? It makes human hair look sturdy as hell. Some kinds of sheep have such fine wool that it routinely will felt on the sheep with even slightly off care, despite the sheep's natural oils to help prevent it.

If you tried to wash a wool sweater the same way you wash your hair, odds are good you'd felt it fairly quickly, no matter how gentle you think you're being.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Well, you have to compare it to something. ;)

eadwine
June 8th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Comparison kill, accomplished ;)

Allychan
June 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM
That's it. I am throwing out my beak clips as of today!

I have been trying to regrow hair damaged from straightening and hair dye for the last three years. But each month, my monthly progress pic comes around and I am saddened by what I see. My hair, to just past my shoulders feels like silk and it is lovely and thick, but from there down it is just stringy and thin. My hair grows reasonably quickly, but last year when I reached waist I had to cut it back to above BSL because of my stringy ends.

Yesterday, I realised I have been using a towel turban for 3yrs now (I never used to). I believe the towel turban is breaking my hair, now I have just read about these beak clips and surprise, I never used to use them either. They are the only damaging things I do to my hair so out they go.

It will be interesting to see my hair progress from here on.??????? Only time will tell if I am right in my conclusions :)

diddiedaisy
June 8th, 2014, 05:53 AM
That's it. I am throwing out my beak clips as of today!

I have been trying to regrow hair damaged from straightening and hair dye for the last three years. But each month, my monthly progress pic comes around and I am saddened by what I see. My hair, to just past my shoulders feels like silk and it is lovely and thick, but from there down it is just stringy and thin. My hair grows reasonably quickly, but last year when I reached waist I had to cut it back to above BSL because of my stringy ends.

Yesterday, I realised I have been using a towel turban for 3yrs now (I never used to). I believe the towel turban is breaking my hair, now I have just read about these beak clips and surprise, I never used to use them either. They are the only damaging things I do to my hair so out they go.

It will be interesting to see my hair progress from here on.??????? Only time will tell if I am right in my conclusions :)

My hair fairytales from collarbone, I hate my see through ends (mainly from massive shed and layers). It looks similar to yours when it's quite straight, but my hair is tatty whereas yours looks neat. The ends look ok when I air dry as it curls. But I don't like that look at the length I'm at which is heading towards apl. I've decided to try and wear it up everyday now for as long as I can stand it. Plus it means I won't have to blow dry everyday.

I'm using a child's towelling bobble today in pink lol. It doesn't help that all I can do is a looped ponytail.

lapushka
June 8th, 2014, 06:11 AM

Anything will break already fragile hair, don't forget that. So you either have to be extra careful all the time, or be prepared to cut some or all of the damage off. At least, that's how I see it.

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Yes they can. I found out the hard way I wore a claw clip in my hair and suffered breakage from it.

truepeacenik
June 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM
The common comparison for hair here was "antique lace."
I remember one UK member remarking that she treated antique lace like sweat socks.

I'd modify it to antique, damaged silk lace.

And all hair is damaged. Dryness, moisture, updos, leaving it down, washing, detangling, everything damages the cuticle.
We are all just learning to compensate.

Allychan
June 9th, 2014, 02:23 AM
Diddiedaisy, my hair in my sigi picture was combed straight so I can get a more consistent look at my length. My hair is usually pretty ratty because I rarely brush it, I only scalp massage with oils.
Lapushka, what you say is true (damaged hair is quite fragile), my problem is I grew out and cut off the damage. My hair is fine so I think it needs gentler treatment and the bird clip thingy and the towel turban are just too harsh on my hair type.

My progress photo is due tonight. So, from tonight on I am testing my theory and I know y'all will tell me if it tests true in a couple of months from now.