PDA

View Full Version : Frizz Control!

sarahmargera
June 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I hope this is the proper place to put this/I'm sure it's already been discussed SO many times, but I can't seem to find anything tailoring to my specific hair type... Which, I'm going to be honest: I have NO idea what type of hair I have!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/sarah_alexandra/photo13.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sarah_alexandra/media/photo13.jpg.html)

So this is my hair. My ponytail circumference is about 3.5 inches. Any hairtyping help would be greatly appreciated.

But now to the actual POINT of this post: I have very fine, FRIZZY, wavy hair. Normal types of products don't do much for me but weigh it down. They don't even really reduce frizz, they just make it look frizzy and greasy. I'll occasionally oil my hair, and some days it looks beautiful and other days it looks disgusting. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce frizz without weighing down my fine hair? Thanks, friends!

lapushka
June 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
That looks like 2a/2b'ish type hair to me.

Maybe conditioning the hair twice will help. It helps with my frizzy hair. My method is in my signature, if you're interested.

two_wheels
June 6th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hmm my hair does what yours does, but is a mix of medium/coarse with a sprinkling of fine...

I assume you know not to touch/comb while it dries?

I'm still figuring it out, but getting moisture in and keeping it there seems to help- you might want to find the LOC method thread. After washing as usual you put a leave-in conditioner, seal it with oil, then style if you want with gel. In (very) small amounts this shouldn't weigh down hair. It is working out for me so far but I am still working on the details.

Another thing that worked ok for me for a while was ACV rinses- again, widely discussed here, a very weak dilution of apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar, or lemon juice) in a big jug of water, used as a final rinse.

Finally, if I need it to look good with certainty, I damp bun it or damp braid it and let it dry, then I get smooth waves and no frizz.

Edit- cross posted with Lapushka! If you do try conditioning twice as she suggests, do report back, it's next on my list (it's best not to try too many things at the same time)

momschicklets
June 6th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Your hair is very beautiful...I'd say type 2b. Are you familiar with the Curly Girl method of styling? You might want to check it out as it is a *great* way to define your lovely waves and control frizz. I consider myself a 2a, and I use the method with a light gel or mousse and it gives me frizz-free waves that last and last and last :D

sarahmargera
June 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the responses! My only problem with conditioning twice is that it ends up looking SO GREASY. But I'll definitely try all the other things suggested :D

velorutionista
June 6th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I don't have your same hair type, but I do find double conditioner can make my crown area look greasy, so when I do that, I condition once all over, and the second time just on the length. That may be worth a shot!

BonnieU
June 6th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I second the loc method...and recommend shea butter.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I don't have your same hair type, but I do find double conditioner can make my crown area look greasy, so when I do that, I condition once all over, and the second time just on the length. That may be worth a shot!

My conditioner goes on the length only - both times. Ear down. That way it doesn't end up a grease ball, and it doesn't weigh my hair down in the least, and I have F hair to boot!

Weewah
June 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM
My hair gets weighed down easily too. What I do is use a really moisturizing rinse-out conditioner, then only a little bit of a light slippy leave-in(Kinky Curly Knot Today), then nothing else or a sparse amount of gel. Also I'm a co-washer. I figured since I can't put things ON my hair to moisturize it without getting weighed down, I just try to keep the moisture levels high through gentle cleansing and a good rinse-out conditioner that penetrates a bit in the shower.

Oh! And switching to drying with a t-shirt eradicated my halo frizz completely. It doesn't wick up all the moisture out of my hair right away so it gets a chance to "wet set" into its own wave pattern. I also recommend no touching while letting it dry, that causes frizz and destroys the waves.

sarahmargera
June 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Update: I conditioned twice -once on my entire head and the second time on the entire length - and it took ALL the wave out completely. I mean, it wasn't frizzy and it was smooth and still nice, BUT all the waves were gone.

two_wheels
June 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Thanks for updating us! Sorry double-conditioning didn't work out how you wanted. (I'd actually really like to have the result you describe, so will be trying it.) Do you have plans for what to try next? Maybe a tiny bit of gel?

sarahmargera
June 9th, 2014, 08:17 AM
No problem :) I think I might try ACV at the end, or trying the double conditioning, but with a different conditioner. I've been trying to stay away from sulfates, but I broke down and decided to try some LUSH products. That might have to do with the lack of wave.

two_wheels
June 9th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Aha... yeah I'm not really into Lush. Some of the stuff smells nice but it doesn't seem to work very well, for me anyway.

Lots of product recommendations over on the Conventional Products forum :eyebrows: and I'm sure others would be able to recommend something if you want suggestions. I need sulphates, and super-moisturising conditioner to compensate, so my input would not really be relevant.

molljo
June 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
You've been given lots of great advice so far, but I would recommend learning about dew points/humidity and humectants, since you say that some days it looks great and other days not so much. The weather is one of the biggest factors in whether my hair looks ok. Lots of newbies tend to focus a lot on SLS and cones, but I would argue that if your hair has any kind of wave or curl, it's important to get familiar with the climate of where you live and the ingredients (especially humectants) you're putting on your hair. Naturally Curly is a GREAT resource for this information.

Also, unless you're co washing, never put conditioner above your ears.