PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer wearing their hair up?

arr
June 5th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I often read about how most people would rather wear their hair down because they feel they look better. They wear it up mostly to protect it. Over time I'm realizing i actually like my hair better up. I enjoy learning new styles and i almost feel like i look better with it up, more neat and stylish. I do have bangs and pieces around my face and i really like the look with my hair up. If my hair is hanging down i feel like it quickly starts to look messy and draggy. When i do wear it down i normally do a half up style. I do love to feel it down when I'm around the house and when i brush and take care of it at night, but mostly i think I'm growing long hair for all the great updos (I'm a youtube tutorial addict). Anyone else feel the same way?

neko_kawaii
June 5th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I much prefer it up. Does it look better up or down? Don't know and don't care. As long as it stays out of my way and doesn't take much of my time I am happy.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I prefer to wear mine up, if I didn't it would ALWAYS be in the way. Also I like that up = protected.

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Wear mine up 6 days out of 7. Day 7 is wash day; after it's dry it goes into a half-up. So technically, I wear it up 6,5 days out of 7. Ha! :D

Jumper
June 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I used to wear it up all the time and enjoyed that, but since getting a "sit down" office job I have started really enjoying wearing it down. It probably is getting more damaged because of that but I don't really care. The longer its been since I've washed it the less it tangles or anything.
So I've gotten to the point where it's like half and half as far as time up vs time down.

although with the summer heat, I'll definitely embrace wearing it up more.

Hosta
June 5th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I prefer to wear mine up. I love braids and I am also a youtube junkie. I am always looking for quick simple hairstyles. I also want to learn styles that are simple, and hat friendly. I love walking and hiking and always have a hat in the sun.

Anje
June 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Yep, I generally prefer mine up. I'll wear it down sometimes if I'm out with friends, but it bothers me if it isn't up most of the time.

StephanieP3
June 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I work in a pharmacy and I'm always running around and bending over a lot, so if I have it down I get super hot and sweaty, it's in the way, and gets tangled. So if I'm working 95% of the time it's up, if I'm at home and relaxing I'll have it down but if I'm cleaning or sleeping 90% of the time it's up. So I'd say 85% of the time it's up. Also if I go out in general it's often hot because I'm in florida so it's ALWAYS over 80 degrees. So it has to be nice out for it to be down, so not much! I'd say I prefer it up I guess.

Quasiquixotic
June 5th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Oh me! Me! I do! I can't stand my hair on my neck. I think it's why I would grow it long - my preference - then wear it up all the time, then feel silly for wearing it up all the time (I was young and stupid and prelhc, so go easy one me) and I'd cut it. Now I know it's fine to have long hair JUST to wear it up...why did I need Internet friends to teach me this?! But I'm so thankful they have :)

KittyBird
June 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I prefer mine up. It's always in my face when it's down, so I think I look better with it up. I always pull some of the bits around my face a bit looser in order to sort of frame my face, because the slicked back look doesn't suit me. :)

arr
June 5th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Oh me! Me! I do! I can't stand my hair on my neck. I think it's why I would grow it long - my preference - then wear it up all the time, then feel silly for wearing it up all the time (I was young and stupid and prelhc, so go easy one me) and I'd cut it. Now I know it's fine to have long hair JUST to wear it up...why did I need Internet friends to teach me this?! But I'm so thankful they have :)

Yes, this was me too. Im glad i learned that just because a person has long hair doesn't mean they are obligated to wear it down.

jacqueline101
June 5th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I wear mine up all the time it feels more protected. On top of that I hate having to pull my hair out of my way and dealing with it.

two_wheels
June 5th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I love wearing it up, or pixied! Anything in between is so annoying for me.

People think it looks better down but I refuse to listen :D

Kherome
June 5th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I much prefer it up. Does it look better up or down? Don't know and don't care. As long as it stays out of my way and doesn't take much of my time I am happy.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I don't care what anyone thinks about my appearance, good or bad. I'm living my LIFE not gathering approvals.

Marbid
June 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I like it both ways. But i find that i am most comfortable with it up, even when i am wearing my hair down and curly and pretty for a special occassion, i find myself stuffing it in a bun half way thru the day... I cant seem to spend an entire day with my hair down anymore. So uncomfortable... But i find it very pretty when i leave it down. And i think i look prettier/ more feminine with my hair down...

Maurelle
June 5th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I definitely prefer the way I look when my hair is down. I usually part it off center, then roll each side back. That way I get the benefit of having it down, but it's kept off my face and out of the way. Of course, I only wear it down on weekends, sometimes. :D

Fericera
June 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I prefer it up. That's part of the reason I'm growing it out. The idea of short hair is appealing but I don't have the patience for styling it for half an hour each day and then it all blows into a mess the second I step outside. I love braids, buns, and sometimes only half up during winter. It looks good, it stays, and once it's long enough there's the wow factor of having long hair that makes even a simple English braid look stylish.

Chromis
June 5th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Oh yes, I always wear mine up! Even when it was shorter, before I knew how to make buns that didn't involve nine zillion booby pins I kept it in a ponytail all the time. I have crazy cowlicks when my hair is short and it is completely unmanageable no matter how much product I gobbed in. I hate having hair in my face or office chair or that sneaky corner bit on L-shaped desks or falling in the dirt while I am gardening and it just plain isn't safe down when cooking!

Even better, now I have a lovely excuse for loads of pretty hairtoys and I enjoy coordinating them with my outfits :D

melilot
June 5th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I usually wear my hair down, braided, because my thought process is that I've put so much hair into growing my hair long, I might as well shot it off, but I've been changing this recently. My back and neck have started hurting from my hair and I've found that wearing it up is the only thing that helps, have been looking into up braided styles. It's a bit fun to wear it up!

duchess67
June 5th, 2014, 06:31 PM
When it was shorter it was always down, never up. Now that I am growing my hair I prefer it up. If my hair isn't up I get irritated, it gets in the way of everything. And what other genuine excuse to use all the pretty hair toys I've been buying lately :)

BonnieU
June 5th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I have way too many fabulous hair toys to wear my hair down! I do love the way it looks down, but I so enjoy wearing a great piece of art in it.

chen bao jun
June 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
It's much more comfortable up and always has been. I never had really long hair by LHC standards (the longest has been bra strap straightened) but I always wanted it at least long enough to pull back or pull up because it gets hot, it annoys me getting into my eyes, its in the way. Also, because I have curls everybody and their brother wants to touch and play in it, which is flattering but gets annoying quickly. I do get a lot more compliments when its down--but on the other hand, the compliments get aggravating too. I'd rather be thought to be an interesting and /or nice person than hear too much about how I look.
I don't know that I actually look better with my hair down though. I think I look a lot more approachable, probably TOO approachable--apparently I give off this vibe to others that says tell me your sad story, ask me for money, expect me to take care of you and fix your life...
But I probably still give off that vibe with tight lady mean librarian hair...

HintOfMint
June 5th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Lucky people who enjoy wearing their hair up! It's better for my hair to wear it up, but I just can't bring myself to do it. What can I say? When I walk, it goes "swish," I can't resist that!

Adelle84
June 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I used to hate wearing my hair up, but I've come to prefer having it back for practicality, when reading, driving, on the computer, etc. If I hadn't started wearing it up all the time, I probably wouldn't have grown it out to the length it is now. I basically never got it cut because it was always up. I definitely prefer how I look with it down; unless I'm trying to look nice for something, I'd rather have it up.

Madora
June 5th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I've worn my hair up for years because it pretty much ended any problems with tangling and thus helped protect my hair and helped me to grow it longer and longer. Loved being creative with braided updos too. Not so much any more, but I still love a good accent crown braid around my head.

Fairlight63
June 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I prefer to wear my hair up. It annoys me when it is down & getting in the way. When working around the house I for sure have it up & out of the way. I guess it is because I have always had short hair, then I grew it out long & always wear it up, I feel uncomfortable when it is down.

dellad
June 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I think my hair looks better up. Something about the way my hair parts and falls when it's down makes my face look chubby. Very unflattering.

Beborani
June 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I did whenever I had long hair before now but this time I am wearing it down as I get pretty curls that I never knew existed last time I had long hair. I am also growing lost hair from a long ago shed--I like to feel the ever so slight increase in weight down my back. Also, in my culture older women were expected to wear it up--so I like to defy that a bit though women these days cut it short and wear it down. Finally, I can longer bear the weight of updos for long time.

Ingrid
June 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I used to hate wearing my hair up but now I really enjoy different updos and braids (although my braiding skills are still developing...). I prefer having my hair up most of the time so it doesn't get in my way. I also like updos because I like using different hair toys. I like it that having my hair up means it doesn't get dried out by the sun and wind. I only really have my hair down occasionally at home. That way I can enjoy having it down without having to deal with damage and tangles later.

Kaelee
June 5th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I prefer mine up, where it can't get caught in things and annoy me.

I feel SEXY with it down...but I'm not always going for "sexy". I usually wear it up even at home, otherwise it tends to fall in my face/get caught in things. I feel beautiful with it up, and I get to wear pretty hairtoys, and I feel good knowing my hair is protected.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 5th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I have always preferred my hair up and out of the way even as a kid. It probably looks better down.... I get more compliments when it's down, but whatever. It gets hot and falls in my face and bugs me.

YvetteVarie
June 6th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I prefer wearing my hair up. It feels weird wearing it down, and if I do wear it down, I end up putting it up again. Its just easier to get on with things while my hair is up without worrying about it

pixldust
June 6th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Absolutely, my hair is up about 99% of the time. Even when I get home from work it often stays in whatever updo til it's time for bed. I view having my hair in a plait as being 'down' which sounds a bit weird but it's a way of displaying the length (or lack of, in my case :D) without getting the tangles and damage from having it properly down. I guess it's what you're used to and what feels most comfortable. I work with a girl who has about bsl hair and she wears it down all the time. I've never seen her with her hair up or even in a half-up.

LadyCelestina
June 6th, 2014, 03:25 AM
I prefer mine down unless I have time to do an updo that I like,which often includes a lot of braiding which takes time.Sometimes I twist my hair randomly and come up with some bun hybrid which I happen to like,then I just keep it until I have to put my hair down for some reason.
That being said,I only recently started doing updo's which I like.And I'm growing my hair for,what,3 years or so. :D

Selkie-
June 6th, 2014, 03:29 AM
I've always preferred my hair up and out of my way. I get annoyed when it is down and I have to faff over it.

I have no idea whether it looks better up or down and don't really care. :p

Youngjae
June 6th, 2014, 04:04 AM
I have recently discovered the magic which is buns. Not only do I look classier than I actually am, I don't get as many tangles and don't have to worry about getting my hair stuck in places. Made my life so much easier.

FuzzyBlackWaves
June 6th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Mine feels better when it's 'up' (technically it's just always in a half braid) because when it's down I sometimes feel the oils transferring to my acne prone skin or it keeps going in my mouth or I have to move it all the time so I don't sit on it. I do think it looks better down though.

veryhairyfairy
June 6th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I do! :D

As much as I love the way it feels to have my hair all loose around me (is it just me, or is there something decidedly sensual about feeling your hair swish around on your skin?), I feel so much more comfortable with it up. And like others have said, hairtoys make it even more fun!

I've never really been a loose-all-the-time person, anyway; I've been wearing braids and bee-butt buns to keep my hair contained since I was a young teen. And now that I'm planning a career that is both physical and contamination-al (nursing), it just makes a lot of sense to have a great repertoire of styles and toys to make myself feel beautiful AND safe. :)

LyndaF
June 6th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Count me as one who likes her hair better up. I don't know that it looks better, but I don't really care. Up until the last couple of months, I was wearing it down or in a boring low ponytail that I always had to re-do. Now I've been putting it up (usually a bun) and leaving it alone all day. I love that I don't have to worry about it, and I sure don't miss all of those nasty tangles. Besides, I've bought way too many hair forks lately to not use them. :)

eadwine
June 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I am betting some of my clients (I work with the elderly) would prefer me wearing it down, but they understand that down means ploop in the bucket so up it has to go :)

I prefer it up as well.. it's just less in my way, though I loooove the wow factor hehe. Good thing my hair doesn't tangle easily, not even after days of not combing it.

AmberJewel
June 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I love the feeling of my hair down when getting ready for bed at night or when showering, but I can't stand having it down for too long. It just tangles so easily! I get these tiny little knots all over the place and millions of split ends. Plus having it in my face gets annoying. Now that I'm learning new updos I enjoy having it up more and more. So I'll go with preferring it up.

spidermom
June 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Up. One thing that keeps me from cutting is the realization that I'd never be able to get it all off my neck if it were short.

Some days I think I'm going to wear my hair down, then it gets hot and tangly and in my way, so up it goes. Or braided.

mira-chan
June 6th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I prefer it up. I have worn in contained some way, at least a ponytail, since it was long enough, at all times though most of my childhood and teens. I didn't even think of wearing it down till mid 20's. When I did, I found out it's a hassle and a nuisance when down. Even when "down" I clip back some of it so it doesn't go everywhere.

ashke50
June 7th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I do! :D

As much as I love the way it feels to have my hair all loose around me (is it just me, or is there something decidedly sensual about feeling your hair swish around on your skin?)
:scissors:

It's not just you! I love the feel of my hair on my skin, it does feel luxurious.

When I started wearing my hair up I would have preferred to have it down but wanted to protect it. Now I find it more comfortable and much less damaging to have my hair up and out of the way. Much less eating the hair and finding hair everywhere, cooler in summer, and much healthier hair.
Also, I enjoy wearing pretty hair toys (it's like more jewellery!) and have loved learning to do interesting styles.

I still think I look prettier (and sexier) with my hair down, but as Kaelee said, I'm not always going for looking sexy. I look more professional, and perhaps slightly older, with my hair up, which makes it easier for me to be taken seriously in my job.

julee
June 7th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I have way too many fabulous hair toys to wear my hair down! I do love the way it looks down, but I so enjoy wearing a great piece of art in it.

This :D Although I do like to wear my hair down occasionally, if its not too windy.

PrincessPhoebe
June 7th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I normally used to wear it down. Now it is the longest it has ever been, it starts being annoying very quickly so up it goes. I'm not very patient and buns and braids save lots of detangling time. If I hadn't discovered LHC and learnt all about updos and hair toys, I suspect it would have been chopped by now. I do try and have it down for a few hours in the evening though, as I am prone to scalp and neck pain.

LauraLongLocks
June 7th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I prefer wearing it up. It keeps it out of the way, and tangle-free. Do I think I look better with it up or down? YES! I look good with it both ways, so whoopie, I can wear it however I like.

stargazer616
June 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I like it a lot both ways. I like the way it feels when it's down, and if I'm really cold I'll take my hair down for use as a blanket :) but it does get in the way, so most of the time if my hair's down it will end up in a bun or a braid by the end of the day.

Drosmand7
June 8th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I ALWAYS wear my hair up. I honestly believe that's what helps it maintain moisture and prevents breakage.

Even when I try to wear my hair down, I find myself bothered by it and pull it back up again, haha.

Paraply
June 8th, 2014, 05:56 AM
In my job everyone with long hair must wear their hair up in a bun or in a ponytail. Because I'm afraid of the mechanical damage, I only wear protective buns or braids. Neatly done buns decorated with hairtoys look more beautiful to me :)

battles
June 8th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I prefer mine up. It's still really short, so I'd rather hide it and ignore it til it gets somewhere. :p I prefer it up even when longer, though.

Agnes Hannah
June 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I love it when it is down because it is swishy and sensual, but it gets on my nerves after a while so up it goes!

meteor
June 8th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I prefer wearing it up because it's so ridiculously comfortable and not messy. I don't think I'd be able to keep long hair without keeping it up and out of the way 99% of the time.
I am assuming I don't look that great with it up, because I'm often asked to wear it down and I get a lot more compliments that way, but frankly comfort & convenience always trump appearances for me.

HaMalka
June 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I prefer to wear my hair up in some sort of braid wrapped around my head. I used to prefer to wear it down with a headband, then when it got longer I started braiding it to keep it from tangling and getting in the way, and now I put up the braid to keep it out of the way. Every once in a while I wear my hear down with pretty clips or ribbons holding it off my face. I do not do this very often because I hate getting my hair caught on doorknobs.

pwettyfleur
June 9th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I've always disliked having my hair down. It was always put into fancy styles as a kid, and it prefer it up. When it's down it always gets in my eyes/mouth as i have to bend down a lot at work. Also having it up also stops it becoming a tangled mess.

MeowScat
June 10th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Years ago I constantly wore it down, but now I prefer it up since it gets in the way and tangles so easily. I only wear it down to air dry.

Laurenji
June 10th, 2014, 03:37 PM
My hair was long as a kid, but my mom always braided it. I don't think that there's ever been a period in my life when I've worn my hair down consistently, as I got so used to having it up that even when I try to wear it down, it's so bothersome that I put it back up again pretty quickly. It's just so much less in the way when it's up.

Scarlet_Heart
June 11th, 2014, 06:23 AM
I feel sexier with it down, but in the summer when it's hot like this, I like it up and out of the way. And I have come to like it up more than I used to.