PDA

View Full Version : people with iii thickness, classic length or longer hair... help?

Hele
June 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
okay, since my hair has gotten to around classic length i've really been having a hard time getting it put up. Things that worked before no longer do, though i'm quite pleased i can FINALLY almost do a proper cinnabun. I've also been trying to get the hang of sectioned buns. I don't know anybody in real life with hair past waist length so i'm asking here, does anyone have any updo suggestions or hair toy recommendations for classic length or longer hair that's quite thick and likes to fight back and break things? Thank you to anyone who has suggestions, i desperately need them! :flowers:

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM
okay, since my hair has gotten to around classic length i've really been having a hard time getting it put up. Things that worked before no longer do, though i'm quite pleased i can FINALLY almost do a proper cinnabun. I've also been trying to get the hang of sectioned buns. I don't know anybody in real life with hair past waist length so i'm asking here, does anyone have any updo suggestions or hair toy recommendations for classic length or longer hair that's quite thick and likes to fight back and break things? Thank you to anyone who has suggestions, i desperately need them! :flowers:

I might have thinner "thick" hair, as I could do a cinnabun (one time around) between hip & TBL. My hair is layered so that helps hugely with the weight of things. A cinnabun is still quite hard compared to other styles, though it'll do. A LWB is *really* comfy though.

akka naeda
June 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Figure 8 bun? That's what I usually wear, and I think if you plaited your hair and then bunned it you'd still be able to do a Fig 8 with it at that length, if you wanted something extra secure. You can secure it with anything.

I can't do a cinnabun because I can't anchor it properly (perhaps I don't have the right pins, but Ficcares don't work). I can count the number of times it has been sucessful on one hand.

ooglipoo
June 5th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm not at TB now, because I sit on it and that irritates me and I cut back... but, when I am at TB, I understand your frustration.

For hold, I like a fork. My most secure is a SenzaLimiti with 5-1/2" tines, four of them!

For ease, the lazy wrap or nautilus. I think I do some strange hybrid of the two with and my LadyIdun stick it will stay alllll day. The thicker sticks and those with wavy shafts seem to work really, really well...

Figure 8 or the 8 on it's side (infinity) really will work well for me at that length, too. I like it to be up high on my head; it distributes the weight nicely.

Have you tried a flipped cinnabun, yet? It stays really well and has a nice pocket to hide ends in, if need be. That's my go-to bun to use with the SenzaLimiti.

And, of course, if you braid, the braided cinnabun... it eats up some of the length and can make it a wee bit easier to roll it around.

Sagi1982
June 5th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I like the Celtic knot, it holds well and isn't that hard to do.

darklyndsea
June 5th, 2014, 02:12 PM
My go-to bun is a cinnabun secured with two Ficcares, or with amish pins. TBH my hair looks kind of weird when I do sectioned buns. I've all but given up on finding sticks or forks that are comfortable and don't break quickly.

If you have pins that work for your hair, the fake crown braid (make two english braids, wrap them around, pin in place) is easy (even if your hair is grabby) and comfortable.

KittyBird
June 5th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Not at classic yet (I hope you don't mind me replying anyway), but I'm getting closer to it, and I have updo problems too. Suddenly none of my go-to styles work anymore. Currently I do sectioned buns, double buns, and buns held with pins (I prefer long bobby pins and spin pins). My favourite pinned bun is the orchid bun, and I prefer lazy wraps held with flexi-8s when I do double buns. I sometimes use small/medium sized claw clips to hold double buns. :)

Shepherdess
June 5th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I bought these clawclips that JJJ uses in many of her tutorials and they have become my best friends.

http://youtu.be/-qQP50kNpO4
I usually roll my hair up like a cinnabun and then put one claw clip on each side of it, similar to that tutorial. My hair is extremely thick and about classic length currently since I cut it back (it used to be almost knee, and so this style works great for long hair). I find hairstyles like this are some of the few ways that I can wear my hair comfortably without hurting my scalp. JJJ has a lot of great tutorials for very long hair and they all look very nice! :)

I do use some hairsticks too at times, but I usually can only do those low on my head or else they can become uncomfortable and hurt my scalp with time.

torrilin
June 5th, 2014, 03:27 PM
My go-to bun is a cinnabun secured with two Ficcares, or with amish pins. TBH my hair looks kind of weird when I do sectioned buns. I've all but given up on finding sticks or forks that are comfortable and don't break quickly.

If you have pins that work for your hair, the fake crown braid (make two english braids, wrap them around, pin in place) is easy (even if your hair is grabby) and comfortable.

Even on iii thickness hair, you can probably hold it in place with claw clips. I'm a ii so I use tiny ones, but 1" or 2-3" cm ones should work to anchor the braids for thicker hair. Depending on your hair, I'd figure on 3-4 claw clips to hold it in place. Small claw clips are pretty readily available, and while they're not the most durable thing going, findable is pretty cool and useful. And sometimes you can find cute colors or decorations.

The other findable option is mini spin pins or regular spin pins, depending on exactly how thick your braids are. My sister is a iii and she tends to use minis for sectioned styles like this or a vortex bun. Buy at LEAST 2 packages if you plan to use minis on iii thickness. 3 is dicey even on my ii hair, and we routinely wind up needing 5 or 6 for my sister's APLish hair. I can easily see classic length needing more for some styles.

I'm not sure when a celtic knot bun starts working for iii hair. A plain knot takes less length, and an Aphrodite knot even less (section your hair in two. tie the sections together in a knot. tie it in a second knot. arrange ends to taste). For me, a celtic knot and styles like a flipped cinnabun or a figure 8 bun start working at about the same time... but that's around BSL, and my sister's hair can easily take an extra foot or more of hair to do a given style.

hypersensitive
June 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Take a look at TorrinPaige's Youtube videos. JJJLonghair is another one with long thick hair.

Hele
June 6th, 2014, 01:11 AM
oh my goodness, i youtubed celtic knot buns and they are awesome! This might be my new go to bun once i get it down better. LWBs just haven't been feeling as secure as they once did and that was my usual updo. Figure 8 buns are kind of hit or miss for me, and nautilus buns only work as half ups (though there is a great recent exploding nautilus attempt picture in the "hairstyles gone rogue" thread). I'll give the braided cinnabun a try next, my hair likes to explode from braids but maybe both a braid and a bun will be able to contain it? I've never had much luck with pins...between my hair spitting them out, tangling itself around them, and warping them i'm a bit wary of them. I'll definitely look into the claw clips though! I really appreciate the responses, like i said i have nobody in real life to ask about this. And of course i'm happy you replied too KittyBird, you have some impressive hair! My hair's been knee length before but i was just going the ponytail route back then. At the moment oversized Ead sticks and Good Village Woodcraft forks seem to be working the best for me.

eadwine
June 6th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I don't have iii hair, but I bet if you divided the hair in two and just made two whatever buns on top of or right next to each other it'd come out really nice :)

spidermom
June 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I liked 2 buns at that length, also braids pinned up.

mira-chan
June 6th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Figure 8 bun? That's what I usually wear, and I think if you plaited your hair and then bunned it you'd still be able to do a Fig 8 with it at that length, if you wanted something extra secure. You can secure it with anything.

I can't do a cinnabun because I can't anchor it properly (perhaps I don't have the right pins, but Ficcares don't work). I can count the number of times it has been sucessful on one hand.

I can't usually hold a cinabun with a ficcare, I need two for it to hold well but 3-4 prong forks or hairsticks work well. I have a lot of taper still and I'm at borderline of thick so I don't have as much of a hair weight issue yet. My preferred and most secure style that I usually do for work is a braided bun with 3 claw clips, of a medium size. This distributes the weight best and secures most strongly.

longhairedlady
June 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I have iii almost knee length, and a cinnabun with clawclip is about all I do. Its quick (like less than 30 seconds) and the clawclip holds it tight. I have tried lots of other toys, pins, etc and the clawclip is about the best thing that works to hold securely without it pulling. I dont really style with other buns but if i did, I would probably secure with the clawclip.

BlackRedRaven
June 12th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I reccomand Nessa's vidoes and buns: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmyemrOguOEbKMH9IOdLqaw she has really thick iii-hair in classical length+ .

Hele
June 12th, 2014, 06:13 AM
oh yes, i stumbled across her videos just the other day, i really like them! Now i just got to work on my "following bun instructions dyslexia"... I still need to get my hands on some of these claw clips that keep getting mentioned. I think that once i get a bit past classic i'm going to be all about the cinnabun, i'm still excited i'm finally starting to be able to kind of make one!

meteor
June 13th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Torrin Paige has a great video on sectioning buns (she presents three examples), which is helpful for distributing the thickness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

Also, anything braided (like a braided cinnabun) helps distribute the weight and thickness.
I highly recommend a coronet braid, as it's very comfortable:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o9tFLFxZVN8/UnCfWmw4oPI/AAAAAAAAA8M/zripMBMQE3g/s640/PicMonkey+Collage1940.jpg
You can also do a coronet braid made with 2 braids (similar to milkmaid braids).