PDA

View Full Version : Help! RARE Hair Problem and hair loss

longerlocks
June 4th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I have had a lot of hair fall over the last 5 years. I am only 34 years old.
I would say I only have about 1/3 of my hair left, at most.

Here is the RARE (or at least I think rare?) issue:
Even though the hair fall has been pretty "even" I have a decent size section in the top right side of my head that moves down through the right side of my head almost to the halfway point, that literally MATS to my scalp! :( This has been happening for about 2 years now. I have to wash it every day, because there is no way to cover it by the 2nd day. The matting clings flat to my scalp and the hair goes in all different directions, making it look like I have a bald spot.
Putting it up on day 2 is not an option because my hair begins to "hurt" on day 2 if not washed in a timely manner.

I have never heard of this matting and clingy to the head before.... does anyone know what this is? Or what causes it?

On an additional note, if anyone has suggestions for the hair fall, in general, I would Love any advice.

My background:

I am 34, caucasian, vegan since 20 years old.
I eat very nutritious, high Raw, and plenty of wholefoods and greens. I don't smoke and never drink alcohol.
I know many lifelong vegans that have gorgeous locks so I do not believe the hair thinning and hair fall could be from choosing to eat healthy.

Both my parents are 70 and have healthy heads of hair. Neither one ever had thick hair, but not too thin either. My brother, who is 2 years older than me started losing his by mid 20's and was pretty bald by 30 (He also wore hats all day every day for a decade before this happened, and leads a very unhealthy lifestyle).

I took birth control to regulate my cycle from 17-20. @ 20, I began doing everything holistic, natural, and organically (so no more birth control)

I am in very good shape. 5'3 110 lbs and everyone thinks I am 10 years younger (which is funny because they call my BF my dad all the time!);)
My body type is very healthy... not too thin looking and not too muscular either.

I think the biggest link is my hormones. I have a history of amenorreah and/or irregular periods my entire life. Every time I have gotten my hormones checked everything comes up "perfect" on both western medicine blood tests as well as naturopathic saliva tests (yet obviously something is off bc I have never had a regular cycle ~ sigh). The only thing that DID show up on a naturopathic test I took a couple years ago was DHT was off the charts! (which is a leading cause in male and female pattern baldness). I have not been tested since, but the hairfall has not stopped either. I did a lot of research on Saw Palmetto, and after reading all the side effects and possibility of even more hair fall, I decided to not take it.
I have had all my organs (as well as thyroid gland, protein levels, Iron, etc...) tested many times ~ both western and naturopathic, and everything always comes out "perfect".

That being said, the only product I have taken to work to balance the hormones is Maca. It has not effected my hair, and while I thought it was helping to create a more normal cycle, it has currently been 60 days since my last cycle. It did however, take all the intense pain away on the first day of my cycle (hopefully that info might be able to help someone suffering from painful menses)

I would Love some knowledgeable advice on either finding the cause of why this is happening, so I can fix it.... or at least some things to try to remedy it and to stop the hair fall until I can figure out the cause.

Anje
June 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Hmm, can't say I've ever heard of the matting thing.... To rule out the obvious, do you sleep on that side?

Pictures might help.

Concerning the hair loss, one thing you didn't mention was whether your iron levels are OK. Anemia and low ferritin are pretty frequent causes of hair loss that come up.
(ETA: Yes, you did. My reading comprehension apparently failed.)

I'm going to move your post over to the Mane Forum, where it's more likely to get lots of views. More eyes seeing your problem might help.

longerlocks
June 4th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Hmm, can't say I've ever heard of the matting thing.... To rule out the obvious, do you sleep on that side?

Pictures might help.

Concerning the hair loss, one thing you didn't mention was whether your iron levels are OK. Anemia and low ferritin are pretty frequent causes of hair loss that come up.

I'm going to move your post over to the Mane Forum, where it's more likely to get lots of views. More eyes seeing your problem might help.

Thank you Anje! I will try and take a photo tomorrow in the morning and post it.
Yes, my levels on everything tested have been spot on.... except DHT was off the charts (which I have to address somehow, but I am not quite sure how yet)
I sleep on both sides... been a side sleeper entire life, but the matting has only developed in the last 2 years or so.

BrendaLoan
June 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I think the biggest link is my hormones. I have a history of amenorreah and/or irregular periods my entire life. Every time I have gotten my hormones checked everything comes up "perfect" on both western medicine blood tests as well as naturopathic saliva tests (yet obviously something is off bc I have never had a regular cycle ~ sigh). The only thing that DID show up on a naturopathic test I took a couple years ago was DHT was off the charts! (which is a leading cause in male and female pattern baldness). I have not been tested since, but the hairfall has not stopped either. I did a lot of research on Saw Palmetto, and after reading all the side effects and possibility of even more hair fall, I decided to not take it.
I have had all my organs (as well as thyroid gland, protein levels, Iron, etc...) tested many times ~ both western and naturopathic, and everything always comes out "perfect".

Bolded mine

Have you ever been checked for polycystic ovary syndrome? That could explain the oligomenorrhea/ amenorrhea, the high levels of masculinizing hormones and the hair loss

SleepyTangles
June 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I had iron deficiency in my teens, due to irregular and close cycles. Turned out the culprits were microcystic ovaries. My hair was shedding badly, too.
I don't know if your problem is similar, but definitively check for any iron-related problem!

I can't think anything about your mats, sorry. Have you oily scalp? Maybe your roots need to be clarifyied... Hormonal issues can definitively lead to oily, a bit difficult scalp (mine was really oily, and tangly, and everything).

chen bao jun
June 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM
My background:

I eat very nutritious, high Raw, and plenty of wholefoods and greens. I don't smoke and never drink alcohol.
I know many lifelong vegans that have gorgeous locks so I do not believe the hair thinning and hair fall could be from choosing to eat healthy.

Both my parents are 70 and have healthy heads of hair. Neither one ever had thick hair, but not too thin either. My brother, who is 2 years older than me started losing his by mid 20's and was pretty bald by 30 (He also wore hats all day every day for a decade before this happened, and leads a very unhealthy lifestyle).

I took birth control to regulate my cycle from 17-20. @ 20, I began doing everything holistic, natural, and organically (so no more birth control)

I am in very good shape. 5'3 110 lbs and everyone thinks I am 10 years younger (which is funny because they call my BF my dad all the time!);)
My body type is very healthy... not too thin looking and not too muscular either....

I would Love some knowledgeable advice on either finding the cause of why this is happening, so I can fix it.... or at least some things to try to remedy it and to stop the hair fall until I can figure out the cause.

You may know many vegans who have full, beautiful heads of hair, but it is more challenging to get the necessary nutrients as a vegan and hair loss from being a vegan is quite common. Your diet may not be what you personally need--some possibilities are zinc and protein deficiencies. You can correct either while still remaining a vegan and it does seem worth looking into rather than assuming that it cannot possibly be your diet. You sound like you did a lot of research about what you eat and that you are very health conscious which is great, but not only can needs for certain types of food be personal but they can change--you might be needing more protein now that you are in your thirties or perhaps your exercise levels require more food in general? I don't know, but you can find out.
YOur brother sounds like he has garden variety male pattern baldness--I would doubt this has anything to do with you. I don't know what could be causing the matting.
The pcos is a definite possibility, too. I have a friend who lost a lot of hair from this. I certainly hope that you soon find out what is going on and am very sorry this happened to you.
There is a member here, Emichiee who has a blog on recovering her hair after health issues, also. Perhaps you can find what she has written or perhaps she will check in. good luck.

dulce
June 4th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I have PCOS and insulin resistance plus elevated testosterone.I did go vegan for several months 2 years ago [researched it and ate a balanced healthy vegan diet]Unfortunately for me I lost hair shortly after starting it and even got some bald spots along my part.After doing reading I realized a vegan diet is healthy but higher carb which worsened my PCOS insulin resistance and thus increased my testosterone levels.Am now back to a lower carb diet where I get my proteins from fish,eggs and chicken[no carb] instead of beans/grains etc plus I eat tons of lo carb veggies,berries ,raw nuts olive oil.My hair rapidly grew back.Vegan is super healthy but it is not the best for everyone..I don't know if that could be your problem,I only mention my experience..best of luck in finding a solution.
I am a bit over 60 now,my hair was just cut back to below waist and it is still thick even at my age and with PCOS.As long as I eat low carb and a healthy balanced diet my hair still is doing well.Diet can help control PCOS and testosterone.A note,you never outgrow PCOS,it s still there after menopause..

dulce
June 4th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I don't know if you have PCOS or not, but if you do, check out the book''the natural diet solution for PCOS and infertility''[how to manage polycystic ovary syndrome naturally] by nancy dunne n.d and bill slater m.b.a.It explains why a vegan diet is not helpful for anyone with PCOS.I hope you don't have PCOS so you can ignore my suggestions as I feel how badly you want to be vegan.But the fact your periods are chronically irregular can be a sign of PCOS as well as the increased testosterone and hair loss..Have you had an ultrasound of your ovaries to see if the tell- tale cysts are there?again best of luck.I wanted to be vegan as I love animals but for me I couldn't ,there was no choice,it was not right for me or my health..

BeckyL
June 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Even though the hair fall has been pretty "even" I have a decent size section in the top right side of my head that moves down through the right side of my head almost to the halfway point, that literally MATS to my scalp! :( This has been happening for about 2 years now. I have to wash it every day, because there is no way to cover it by the 2nd day. The matting clings flat to my scalp and the hair goes in all different directions, making it look like I have a bald spot.
Putting it up on day 2 is not an option because my hair begins to "hurt" on day 2 if not washed in a timely manner.

I have never heard of this matting and clingy to the head before.... does anyone know what this is? Or what causes it?

On an additional note, if anyone has suggestions for the hair fall, in general, I would Love any advice.

My background:

My body type is very healthy... not too thin looking and not too muscular either.

That being said, the only product I have taken to work to balance the hormones is Maca. It has not effected my hair, and while I thought it was helping to create a more normal cycle, it has currently been 60 days since my last cycle. It did however, take all the intense pain away on the first day of my cycle (hopefully that info might be able to help someone suffering from painful menses)

It sounds like you might have PCOS. You have a lot of the symptoms of it. The only way I know of to test for sure is a sonogram (sp?). I did not realize it caused hair loss until I started to have massive hair loss last year. I am still having trouble with it. I hope you find out what it is soon. Good luck.

louzen
June 6th, 2014, 11:48 AM

When you say mats to your scalp do you mean it is all knotty? When my hair gets very greasy, the hair on my side crown area sticks and clings flat onto the scalp and sticks together, but it's not knotty. When it starts sticking together and it's flat on my scalp you can then see my scalp. So on greasy hair days, I have to wear it up! Are your hair stands fine?

As for your health - irregular periods tell me that your hormones are indeed out of whack. I would suggest looking into taking a Vitex (Agnus Castus) tincture to help restore your hormones. Also green superfood is an amazing supplement to take for restoring all vitamin/mineral levels in your body. I highly recommend Dr Schulze's Superfood Plus. If you're from the US, it'll be easy for you to buy this. I'm from the UK and buy it from a naturopath.

Rosa Harris
June 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Believe is this perhaps- or one of the related ones it lists? It says it shows up between 3 and 12 but I found nother article where a woman in her 20's spontaneously developed it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_felting

longerlocks
June 6th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have been tested for B-12, Protein, Iron, Thyroid, etc... as I mentioned before and results always come out perfect. Hence, I do not see any "voids" nutritionally that need to be altered or filled.

As for the PCOS... well, I had a Dr. (abroad in another country) tell me that back in 07'. I have since done extensive hormone testing, and ultrasounds as well... and all the doctors in the last 7 years tell me "I do not." The hormone levels always come up "perfect" (which I don't understand bc I have had irregular cycles my entire life). Other than DHT, as I mentioned earlier, is really high (but I do not feel comfortable trying Saw Palmetto, bc I am worried about the reverse effect of getting more hairfall and it breaking out skin, etc...). As for the ultrasounds... from what I can see, it looks like the images of PCOS I see online with the "swiss cheese" look to it. But the Doctors keep telling me because my hormones are "fine", and I do not have all the telltale symptoms of weight gain, facial hair, etc... that I do not have it. Very confusing.

For the matting... yes, it "sticks" to my scalp on day 2. Looks fine day one when I wash it, by 2 it is sticking to my scalp in different directions. I use to go 3-5 days with no washing. Now on day 2 it is sticking to my scalp (just in one section). If I do not wash it on Day 2, I get WAY more hair fall than if I washed it every day.

As for Green Superfoods, I have been using them since 2001. I eat extremely healthy. I tried Vitex a couple of times over the years and did not get a desired effect. Presently, I am taking Maca. The rest of my body and face look great... it's just my hair is thinning and falling.... I have done SO many tests with both conventional and naturopathic docs and even though I am a nutritionist myself... I just don't know what to do.

I have also tried to remedy it from a topical point of view to rule out any unknown bacterial, fungal, etc... issues there with Neem, Teatree, etc... and all remains pretty much the same.

Thank you for all the suggestions, but I am still not sure what to do :(

~Abi~
June 6th, 2014, 04:43 PM
The only thing I can think of other than PCOS is thyroid. I know you say those tests came back normal, BUT I read that something like 30-40% of people with thyroid issues are never diagnosed with them because the current range of acceptable thyroid hormone levels is too broad (Don't quote me on the exact statistics). If you have not done some personal research on the thyroid, I would suggest reading "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by Dr. Brownstein. Iodine might be slightly deficient too (don't know if that is one that you have had tested).

Oh, and I had a friend that had ovarian cysts, and had no weight gain or facial hair or whatever. I don't know if the cause of hers was PCOS or not though. I would suggest finding another doctor to at least look at your ultrasounds, because I may be no doctor, but it sounds like you very well may have PCOS even though you may not have all of the symptoms.

BrendaLoan
June 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I'm still a med student, but I see there are a few things that have to be taken more seriously by your doctors:
1. Your hormone levels are NOT perfect if DHT is so high
2. High DHT levels come from somewhere. This is not an isolated thing they can just ignore
3. You don't need to have ALL the signs and symptoms listed in a book to have a syndrome (my teachers always say "you may have none, some, of all of them")
4. You said your last period was 60 days ago. They can't ignore that either, amenorrhea is an important sign

If I were you, I would probably ask for a second opinion. Oh, and I'm almost sure DHT is causing your hair loss!

Pamala513
June 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I am sorry you are having such troubles. I know it can be very frustrating not knowing.....as for thyroid testing, most doctors don't test properly, they do a simple thyroid test which many times can come back normal, but what is really telling is Tsh3 and tsh4, as well as antiboties to rule out Hashimoto Disease. I have been suffering hair loss for 20 years before I was correctly tested.

MungoMania
June 7th, 2014, 01:22 AM
The only thing I can think of other than PCOS is thyroid. I know you say those tests came back normal, BUT I read that something like 30-40% of people with thyroid issues are never diagnosed with them because the current range of acceptable thyroid hormone levels is too broad (Don't quote me on the exact statistics). If you have not done some personal research on the thyroid, I would suggest reading "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by Dr. Brownstein. Iodine might be slightly deficient too (don't know if that is one that you have had tested).

Oh, and I had a friend that had ovarian cysts, and had no weight gain or facial hair or whatever. I don't know if the cause of hers was PCOS or not though. I would suggest finding another doctor to at least look at your ultrasounds, because I may be no doctor, but it sounds like you very well may have PCOS even though you may not have all of the symptoms.

This was my thought too. If you're borderline for thyroid issues it can be hard to diagnose as you'd appear asymtomatic. But vegan diets are high in soy content which can often lead to underactive thyroid and hair loss as in Hashimoto's syndrome.

Do you take any hair vitamins or supplements? Beta Sitosterol, inositol and taurine are a few I would try to help this problem.

Toffeemonster
June 7th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Hi

Well I have an answer for the matts, I had it with my post partum hair loss with my second child(which was really bad). The loose hairs were simply causing extreme knotting. So I'd think more than likely, the matting is just a symptom of your hair loss, which is the real issue.

Edited: because I just saw the second page! I don't know a huge amount about thyroid or PCOS, but I do know someone with PCOS who is very thin and has less facial hair than me!(very little if any) I don't think they're defining or necessary symptoms.

There are also other conditions like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata
I knew a sufferer who had all over body permanent hair loss, and had to take meds to try to slow it down. I'm not 100% certain it was the above condition or another, I don't remember the name.

Best of luck, I hope you can figure out what the problem is!

dulce
June 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Definitely get a 2nd opinion,I have PCOS and some but not all the symptoms as does my adult daughter,she is thin[eats a lo carb Asian diet of fish and veggies, a bit of rice,fruit,nuts-no breads or suger or cereals , as her husband is Asian], but her only sign is irregular periods [since age 12] and she can't get pregnant [so far] PCOS is different in everyone as to symptoms,some have all the symptoms,some a few ,others the only problem is the periods.So definitely ask for a 2nd opinion..Being on a healthy balanced lower carb diet can ease many of the symptoms.Also going vegan if you eat a lot of tofu that can suppress the thyroid in some people which could affect the hair .

FuzzyBlackWaves
June 7th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I have PCOS and when I tried vegetarianism for a year I became very deficient in iron. It's worth noting that not all people with PCOS have facial hair and weight gain - I don't. It's pretty common that the hormone tests come back Ok when it's not actually the case. I have an excess of testosterone, and it's very hit or miss if it shows up or not. Not sure about its relationship to your hair but it causes a lot of dandruff and dry scalp for me.

ceruleansky
June 7th, 2014, 03:44 PM
One thing that stands out to me regarding imbalanced hormones is cholesterol and vitamin D status. I had a lot of problems crop up a few years after practicing a vegetarian, often vegan, way of eating. My total cholesterol measured at 113 at some point in that time, despite using large amounts of seeds, nuts, plant oils, avocados, etc. Cholesterol is essential for creating vitamin D in the skin, and both cholesterol and vitamin D are necessary to create and maintain hormone balance. I had all the symptoms of PCOS which continued to worsen despite raising my cholesterol. I got improvement quickly followed by total elimination of all symptoms after making permanent diet modifications that were healthier for me and getting my vitamin D status into a healthy range.

longhairedlady
June 8th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Sounds like PCOS to me (I have it). Lack of menstrual cycles, elevated testosterone, string of pearls ovaries. All signs. With PCOS you can be thin or overweight, have cycsts, or no cysts, have "normal" hormone levels or abnormal. It is different for everyone. Your elevated dht is not normal and you should push for answers from doctors. PCOS will can thinning of your hair.

longerlocks
June 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I am sorry you are having such troubles. I know it can be very frustrating not knowing.....as for thyroid testing, most doctors don't test properly, they do a simple thyroid test which many times can come back normal, but what is really telling is Tsh3 and tsh4, as well as antiboties to rule out Hashimoto Disease. I have been suffering hair loss for 20 years before I was correctly tested.

Pamela how did they properly test and what was your diagnosis? Did your hairloss stop? 20 years is a long time!

Sounds like PCOS to me (I have it). Lack of menstrual cycles, elevated testosterone, string of pearls ovaries. All signs. With PCOS you can be thin or overweight, have cycsts, or no cysts, have "normal" hormone levels or abnormal. It is different for everyone. Your elevated dht is not normal and you should push for answers from doctors. PCOS will can thinning of your hair.

longhairedlady your hair is AMAZING though! Has the PCOS not effected your hair ever? And if it did, what did you do to correct it?

I'm still a med student, but I see there are a few things that have to be taken more seriously by your doctors:
1. Your hormone levels are NOT perfect if DHT is so high
2. High DHT levels come from somewhere. This is not an isolated thing they can just ignore
3. You don't need to have ALL the signs and symptoms listed in a book to have a syndrome (my teachers always say "you may have none, some, of all of them")
4. You said your last period was 60 days ago. They can't ignore that either, amenorrhea is an important sign

If I were you, I would probably ask for a second opinion. Oh, and I'm almost sure DHT is causing your hair loss!

BrendaLoan I agree with you 100% but it is so hard to find the "right doctor" ....though the mission to find one will continue. Is there anything natural you suggest for DHT? Do you think I should try the Saw Palmetto? I am not comfortable using any medicines... I never even take advil or tylenol.

Thank you Dulce. Your hair is beautiful! Did the PCOS ever effect your hair? And if it did, what did you do for it? I too do not eat flour, bread, sugar, etc... and I dropped eating soy about 5 years ago. When I did eat soy it was only in the form of edamame beans.

One thing that stands out to me regarding imbalanced hormones is cholesterol and vitamin D status. I had a lot of problems crop up a few years after practicing a vegetarian, often vegan, way of eating. My total cholesterol measured at 113 at some point in that time, despite using large amounts of seeds, nuts, plant oils, avocados, etc. Cholesterol is essential for creating vitamin D in the skin, and both cholesterol and vitamin D are necessary to create and maintain hormone balance. I had all the symptoms of PCOS which continued to worsen despite raising my cholesterol. I got improvement quickly followed by total elimination of all symptoms after making permanent diet modifications that were healthier for me and getting my vitamin D status into a healthy range.

Thanks ceruleansky. I will have them test my cholesterol and Vitamin D again next time. What diet modifications did you decide to make?

longerlocks
June 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I'd like to put pics up, but I don't know how. I clicked the icon to upload them but it says to just "type in" the URL? vs a normal drop down selection from iphoto...

Rosa Harris
June 8th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I post pics by uploading them here https://www.flickr.com/ and then adding the whole link into the text of the post not using any of the buttons - just copy and paste it in.

Anje
June 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I post pics by uploading them here https://www.flickr.com/ and then adding the whole link into the text of the post not using any of the buttons - just copy and paste it in.
This or another photo hosting site (imgur.com, photobucket.com, postimage.org, etc.) is the best, easiest way to do it. I've got a link to a thread with detailed instructions down in my signature.

dulce
June 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM
My hair did thin a bit around menopause,I stopped all dyes and all heat appliances and switched to a floor fan to dry.I stopped a lot of brushing ,switched to a wide tooth comb instead,made sure I had 60 grms of lean protein a day with a lo carb ,balanced diet.I pull it back gently ,use only gentle hair styles or wear loose and FINALLY accepted my curly hair..My hair did thicken up over time as I changed my hair care and changed my nutrition.When I saw the hair loss at age 50 thought I'd be bald at 60 but my hair is doing great ..The last lab test still showed slightly high levels of testosterone[out of normal area] in my late 50's.
.I also temporarily used 5% minidoxidol at age 50 to help regrow the thinning areas.I stopped it after using it for a few years,and it has stayed thick since.Thanks to PCOS and irregular periods with the hormonal imbalance I did develop early osteoporosis in my 40's[before menopause] just like my mom So weights /exercise and vit D3 with k2 tabs with an easily absorbable calcium supplement became very important.K2 tabs help chaperone the calcium into the bones and keep it out of the soft tissues and arteries.Like my mom,I developed diabetes and toxemia very early in all my pregnancies[2nd month] because of the PCOS.PCOS affects so many things in your body.

ceruleansky
June 11th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks ceruleansky. I will have them test my cholesterol and Vitamin D again next time. What diet modifications did you decide to make?I got rid of all of the carbs, aimed for a solid 110 grams of protein a day, and began consuming lots more saturated fat in its many forms. Dulce is right on with the advice on the K2, it tells the body where the calcium is supposed to go. I also feel the a chelated magnesium supplement is important as well (D+K+Mg+Fish Oil is my "holy grail" where supplements are concerned).

MandyBeth
June 12th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Your weight may related to odd cycles. It was mentioned by several doctors to me that 110 pounds is a frequent point on reducing or stopping cycles.

Thyroid needs the full testing to rule out problems and if you are low normal, you may still need treatment.

My PCOS wasn't known until my spay. I just bled constantly thanks to endometriosis, and had tiny cysts on the inside of my ovaries which never was visible on any tests.

With the hormonal sounding issues, soy is not a good part of your diet, and gluten may add more grief.