PDA

View Full Version : Could use some support/questions about postpartum shed

mamaherrera
June 4th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Like everyone else, I was hoping as I entered my 4th month postpartum and still only shedding 25 hairs per day or less, that the postpartum shed would not happen to me. My husband was hopeful as well as he said, "you didn't notice a big shed with the other three". which is true, but with the other three, I wasn't into my hair like I am now. I noticed after my third, because I started a big shed and it didn't stop for four years. Obviously it was more than just postpartum, it turned into something else! So I've got this trauma to add on to me now with fear that this shed is going to go on forever as well!! Well this week, the shed began. It started low, still under 100 a day (yes I'm counting just because I was hopeful that it wasn't a shed, and I was just going to start shedding normally. But yesterday, it was a lot!

Here's what is getting me. The night before, I ran my hands through the first bunch of hairs on my right side (lots of snarls, so I finger comb). And a lot of those 2-3 inch hairs came out, like 7. Also longer strands came out, but that isn't my point. So yesterday after losing tons in the shower, (wash day) and then I run my fingers through that same area, and again like 8-9 of those short ones came out. Now I will be honest, I have lots of temple hairs at the beginning that are short, and only grow that long. so I do think they're from there. But it seems like like too many of those to be shedding. I don't think I have enough of those types of hairs to shed that many. . .. so then I start freaking out that I'm going to thin in those areas. Anyone else notice this?? I thought just the longer ones that hung on during pregnancy were going to go in to high shed mode, not the short ones!

Finally, is it true (cuz I heard from someone) that with a postpartum shed, you tend to get more white hair?? I HOpe not, as I get enough as it is, and I hope I don't get tons more from having this. Just wondering from others' experiences. It's so hard for me, having that terrible experience with postpartum shed, to go through this again. Hope to hear from you!

pogo0685
June 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I'm so sorry this is so stressful for you. I have not heard of the white hair thing so I can't comment on that but I know it didn't happen to me. I know the shed is hard to deal with but don't worry, it will be over before you know it. I would say just put it up and forget about it for a while :) doesn't make the shedding stop but might take your mind off it. Congrats on the baby!

slynr
June 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Congratulations on the baby!! Sorry to hear about your very common postpartum shed. I shed a lot with my first pregnancy and then the following year after an ectopic pregnancy. I'm talking hair by the handful all day long. Every time I would touch my hair many hairs would fall out.

First thing is they definitely did not come back white. I have maybe 5 at most silver hairs and this is 10 years after these events so nothing to worry about there:)

Second I think the key to it is to stop fixating. Stop counting hairs. This shed is normal but the stress over it is not and could actually make it worse. Take care of yourself and your baby. Eat healthy as possible. That's all you can do. The hair fall will stop but you just have to think of other things.

Remember most people shed a lot less during pregnancy so now you are just losing the hairs that would have gone during that time:) believe me I have fine bordering on thin hair and it was all OK, and you will be too!!!

Again rest, nutrition, and as much relaxation as is possible with an infant:)

mamaherrera
June 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much!! I know I've gotta be calm. It's just my trauma from the last postpartum that turned into a nightmare. And since I began getting more white lately, that's why I'm a bit worried about that. But thanks. I guess I have heard of some women who do shed more in the temple areas after a baby, so maybe that's part of it.