PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair And Bangs

UP Lisa
June 4th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Hi. For years now I have not had bangs. I had them for years before that, and they never stayed in place, looked greasy all the time, etc. I said NEVER AGAIN. However, recently I have become so annoyed at a small section of hair in the front that is never long enough to stay back. I thought about just cutting that section short. Well, last night I decided to just go ahead and cut some side-swept bangs. Now I'm afraid they will drive me crazy and never lay right. Even though my hair is wavy, it does not wave till longer lengths, so my bangs are straight. So not a problem there.

So do any of you have bangs? If so, what kind? Do you like them?

Fericera
June 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I had them and liked them, but decided to let them grow out with my length.

Have you washed your hair yet? Sometimes it takes a few washes to get them laying right in my experience. I hope you grow to like yours.

diddiedaisy
June 4th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I have a full fringe and fine hair. It doesn't stay in place and tends to part where I used to have a cowlick. I've no idea when that disappeared but it still lets me know it's lurking somewhere!!! Hairspray is the answer for me, in fact I've just discovered Pantene hairspray and I love it.

I would like to get rid of the fringe, but I don't think I suit it, although I never had a fringe for years until I grew my perm out.

UP Lisa
June 4th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I just hate hair spray, but I might have to resort to it.

Anje
June 4th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I'm in the "never again" category. :p For me, there's a choice between greasy bangs or a peeling dry forehead. I can't both moisturize and have bangs that look remotely nice.

(Then there are all my other hangups with bangs, the fact that they don't look good on me, etc. But having a dry itchy forehead and greasy bangs simultaneously was just plain annoying.)

Have you tried a little gel in it? You can scrunch that once it dries to make the hair not look gelled, but it's another possibility for a little hold to keep the hair going the right direction. Theoretically, hair can be trained to sweep the right way, but I didn't have much luck on that front.

blue_eyes
June 4th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I had the same problem. My hair has always been fine and very straight, and I had bangs all through my childhood up until I was about 12 (my mom thought they were cute) but good lord did they ever look greasy and seem to clump together in little chunks. I can't even stand looking at photos of myself back then. It's a shame because I do like bangs and would love to experiment with some, but never again.

I tried side-swept bangs a while ago and ever they seemed to clump together weird/not hang right. I'm trying to grow them out but I do get urges to cut once they reach those awkward stages.

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Well, I switched out the side swept bangs for regular bangs, since I discovered after all these years that I actually have an oval face instead of a round face. Of course they don't want to stay in place any better than they ever did. I really like the look, though.

roseomalley
June 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I have baby fine (and now thinning ) hair. I am growing my bangs out, as they never stayed in place. Also, with my thinning hairline, I feel I need the bang hair to help with coverage.

Larki
June 9th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I have fine hair and have always had thick blunt bangs. I love them; they always stay in place and need no styling. The only time they start looking weird is when they're too long - the corners curl out. They do obviously get greasy quickly, but I wash my hair every other day so that's not a problem for me. No skin problems from them like some people seem to have. My forehead is actually the only place that never gets acne, and the oil keeps my forehead moisturized. :p

Nadine <3
June 9th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I have straight a crossed bangs right now but I'm growing them a bit longer so I can go back to having longer side swept bangs. I love bangs on myself and switch from straight a crossed to side swept quite often. They need styling on wash day or they go crazy wavey. I just blow dry them straight and they usually stay pretty good through the day. During the night I pony tail my bangs, otherwise they look wet in the morning. For 2nd day hair I push them to the side or pin them over, but I could use a blow dryer and a bit of water to get them laying nice again I'm just to lazy.

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I have fine hair and have always had thick blunt bangs. I love them; they always stay in place and need no styling. The only time they start looking weird is when they're too long - the corners curl out. They do obviously get greasy quickly, but I wash my hair every other day so that's not a problem for me. No skin problems from them like some people seem to have. My forehead is actually the only place that never gets acne, and the oil keeps my forehead moisturized. :p

Your hair looks thicker than mine. My hair is particularly thin in the front.

molljo
June 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I've had bangs for years and years; I love them. This is my strategy: Get a fine tooth comb (like a barber's) and while your bangs are wet, take the comb and place it at the roots. Move it side to side in a sawing motion a few times, which will rumple your bangs a bit. Then you comb them outwards, parallel to the floor. Let them dry, and do the whole saw-roots, comb outward thing again. I've found that this helps them lay nicely more than any other technique. You might want to add gel as well. I also recommend using a large, fluffy makeup brush to apply cornstarch/cocoa powder as dry shampoo on them when they start getting clumpy. Just "paint" it on your bangs, leave it for 5-10 minutes, then do the combing process. Hope this helps!

LauraLongLocks
June 9th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I like bangs on mmyself, but after 2.5 years of having them, I decided I want a change. I've been growing them out for about 6 months now. Now that I am aware that there are clip-in bangs, I will never again have the itch to cut real bangs again. I will just use clip-ins when I want them. Mine are straight-across and I think that looks best on me. I can't stand side-swept because they are too long and cover one eye all the time. Annoying. I have a cowlick right in front that looks funky if I don't blowdry my bangs.

UP Lisa
June 10th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I've had bangs for years and years; I love them. This is my strategy: Get a fine tooth comb (like a barber's) and while your bangs are wet, take the comb and place it at the roots. Move it side to side in a sawing motion a few times, which will rumple your bangs a bit. Then you comb them outwards, parallel to the floor. Let them dry, and do the whole saw-roots, comb outward thing again. I've found that this helps them lay nicely more than any other technique. You might want to add gel as well. I also recommend using a large, fluffy makeup brush to apply cornstarch/cocoa powder as dry shampoo on them when they start getting clumpy. Just "paint" it on your bangs, leave it for 5-10 minutes, then do the combing process. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. I will try that. Are you saying to comb them out from underneath?

molljo
June 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Thank you so much. I will try that. Are you saying to comb them out from underneath?

No, from the top.

UP Lisa
June 11th, 2014, 07:16 AM
No, from the top.

So when you comb, are you combing through the part that you "rumpled"? And with the comb, do you have the teeth pointing down into the hair?

Bet you never thought this was such a complicated procedure! LOL!

molljo
June 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM
So when you comb, are you combing through the part that you "rumpled"? And with the comb, do you have the teeth pointing down into the hair?

Bet you never thought this was such a complicated procedure! LOL!

Haha, no, I know, I've tried to explain it before, and it's hard to put into words.

No, you don't comb through the rumpled hair. With the teeth pointing down, you rumple the roots and then you pull the comb through the rest of your bangs. After going side-to-side, don't take the comb out to reposition it, just rumple and glide it out. Is that making more sense?

UP Lisa
June 11th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Yes. I think I've got it now. Thank you.

Haha, no, I know, I've tried to explain it before, and it's hard to put into words.

No, you don't comb through the rumpled hair. With the teeth pointing down, you rumple the roots and then you pull the comb through the rest of your bangs. After going side-to-side, don't take the comb out to reposition it, just rumple and glide it out. Is that making more sense?

allycat
June 11th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I've had bangs forever too, because they make my long face less narrow. My two top tips are:

1. My bangs get greasy-looking daily. So I quickly spot wash only them when I brush my teeth in the morning. (My whole head gets washed less frequently.)

2. I prefer wax way more then any other product. I like my bangs to be a little piecey and have a little direction to the side, but my fine hair overpowers gel or mousse and just gets floppy on them ;)