PDA

View Full Version : felt like bragging, but willing to take advice too

cdonald2
June 3rd, 2014, 11:02 PM
My hair is very slow growing, and unfortunately grows mullety since it is above my shoulders, once i reach shoulder i will be fine, but in the meantime, i am getting frequent trims when it starts looking outrageous (to me).

Anyways, i have always wanted long hair, and it used to be so thick i couldnt even run a brush through it. When i hit puberty it thinned out. It thinned even more due to heat and dye abuse, and when i got a perm, i had to chop it all off.

I am right above shoulder, and i now have virgin hair, but it is so healthy now thanks to all the amazing advice from here that it has now doubled and almost returned to its former thickness, (with the exception that it is now straighter/wavier instead of curly)

i am beginning to enjoy my journey, however, i work outside as a garden center cashier for a Lowe's near me. So my hair up all the time in ponytail holders. They are the no snag ones, but i do worry since i havent heard anything one way or the other on them.

The style i use are intertying ponytails: I make one ponytail with my shortest layer, then another with my second layer, then one more with my last layer (they all get tied together, so most of my ends are hidden) Will this hurt my hair as long as it isnt pulled too tight? i don't want to look like kimmi from full house so i am not using scrunchies right now, and my hair isnt long enough just yet for some of the awesome hair toys ive seen. I use the style im using now to keep all my hair off my face while i work outside so it isnt in my face constantly and i use a coney protectant spray from pureology:

http://www.glossybox.com/pureology_colour_fanatic

Is there something better i can use for my hair in the meantime to style it ant keep it all off my face? headbands seem to give me headaches, but i will take any advice offered.

Lirona
June 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM
First off, congrats! And if you're not seeing any breakage where you make the ponytails, I say carry on. Things are clearly working!

cdonald2
June 3rd, 2014, 11:29 PM
thanks :) the only thing im worried about is my conditioner doesnt seem to get in very deep. Should i saturate my hair in it and leave on for a few hours? it seems dryer with the coney serum but it protects it from the sun and breakage from my ponytail holders it seems.

molljo
June 3rd, 2014, 11:44 PM
As for styles, it's important to mix it up so you're not constantly stressing the same hairs at the same place. At your length I was able to do twin French or Dutch braids with the ends tucked in. I also like a headband braid (French/Dutch/Lace) that goes from behind one ear, across the forehead hairline, down to the nape on the other side, secure everything in a side pony. Alternate the direction of the braid on different days, apply serum/oil/leave in/whatevs on the tassel. Braiding needs to become your best friend right now, basically.

cdonald2
June 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
thankyou for the advice molljo, ill definitely have to work on my braiding. i kind of stink at it right now. haha

fiğrildi
June 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Have you tried flexies (Flexi-8 )? You have a wide variety to choose, and they are pretty stylish. Once you'll reach shoulder, you'll be able to try a lot of different styles :) Happy growing!

Miss_Green
June 4th, 2014, 08:39 AM
The style i use are intertying ponytails: I make one ponytail with my shortest layer, then another with my second layer, then one more with my last layer (they all get tied together, so most of my ends are hidden)

This was my favourite hairstyle when I was growing out my hair aged 11! I eventually learnt to French braid my hair without my mum's help, and it opened up lots of possibilities. Start practising - it'll be worth it! :o

lapushka
June 4th, 2014, 08:42 AM
My favorite style was a peacock twist, but it might not be manageable until a longer length. It's a very non-damaging way to wear the hair. Wore it all the way to hip+ (almost TBL) - twice!

cdonald2
June 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
My favorite style was a peacock twist, but it might not be manageable until a longer length. It's a very non-damaging way to wear the hair. Wore it all the way to hip+ (almost TBL) - twice!

i think peacock twists super cute! but always avoided them because i thought that exposed ends would cause damage to my ends. do claw clips work well with these?