PDA

View Full Version : Tangling and length

detritus
June 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I've never had long hair before because my hair is fine and prone to breakage. That and I get bored and take that out on my hair. Currently, its a little past my collarbone and driving me absolutely bonkers. Ever since it hit my shoulders, I've had terrible tangles. Knots within an hour of just working at my desk, golf-ball sized mats at the nape of my neck if I forget to comb it midday, etc. I even lost my patience a few weeks ago and had my husband shave my nape hair off completely because it just tangled and hurt all the time. I was even getting noticeable bald spots back there. I do all the stuff you are supposed to do to prevent tangles: secure it at night, sleep on silk, deep condition, oil the ends, clarify periodically, wear it up a good chunk of the time, etc. I had a trim 8 weeks ago so the ends are pretty healthy. Does the tangling decrease when it gets a bit longer? I wonder if it's just hitting my shoulders, curling up, and tangling. Maybe when it gets to APL or BSL it will just flow past my shoulders and behave? Because if this is just what I'm going to have to deal with from here on out I'm seriously considering a lob.

Fericera
June 3rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Generally hair does get easier as it gets longer, because whatever style you choose, the more hair there is to keep it secure or braid out of the way.

My hair isn't fine, but the collar/shoulder length has always annoyed me incredibly. I feel like it just scruffs everywhere and at night it's all right under your head, ends and everything, getting tangled. I think it would be worth it to keep at it a little while longer.

Anje
June 3rd, 2014, 12:58 PM
It seems like a lot of people report serious tangles at about shoulder length. (Wasn't in my experience, but that's because mine was pretty permanently ponytailed at that length.) For now, push through it, but make note of the are certain shirts that do it to you worse than others. Some materials or necklines might be contributing.

If that and length don't take care of it, there are ingredients to try and ingredients to attempt avoiding that might help, but that sort of thing takes experimenting and tends to be very individual.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
I didn't have tangles at collar bone or shoulder length. I keep it pony tailed. I didn't have any tangles until about bra strap length. I found leaving it up helps a lot.

Larki
June 3rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
I also have fine hair, but mine never tangles..

lapushka
June 3rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
You might want to switch to coney conditioners if you don't use those already, and try conditioning twice after a shampoo. Just something you might wanna try.

maegalcarwen
June 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
I HATED my hair at shoulder/APL. For me that was the most horrible length ever. Not long enough to braid, but too long to be out of the way by itself. I am passed BSL now, its sooo much easier! I got much better for me, but on the other hand, I don't have fine hair, more dry and wavy.

YamaMaya
June 3rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Olive oil will make your mats fall apart as if by magic. I know this because DH gets tangles at the exact same spot and is always asking my help to get them out pain free. It might also help to cut out the most damaged bits that are prone to tangle again. Also of course, continue to put it up and use moisture treatments.

detritus
June 3rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Ok, I'll keep at it a bit longer. Originally I told myself I'd give it until at least my birthday in September. I avoid cones because they just pull all the volume and body out of my hair. Maybe I could try some just at the ends, though. Would you believe that I've gotten major knots even when my hair was ponytailed?

Marbid
June 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I had a similar problem when my hair was short like that.... Generally the neck hairs suffer a lot more friction than midle or even canopy hairs... Especially if short... The ends are more close by to tangle...

When hair tangles.. It generally tangles with shorter hairs... New growing hairs.. Thats because short hair has an easier time winding around itself and other hairs than longer hair..... So in my experience.. Once my nape hairs passed the neck area and i could secure all the nape hairs into a high pony (bun) without any escaped neck hairs ( they dont move anymore if they are all secured into like a bun) the mats ended... Otherwise.. The simple friction of your nape or back of your head against collar or chair will cause the hairs to wrap around each other.

Either too short to tangle or too long to tangle at nape are the solutions in my experience.

diddiedaisy
June 3rd, 2014, 11:34 PM
I have past cbl fine hair that can get knotty. It's been like that all my life. Show me a bit of wind and I'll show you some lovely rats tails!!!

If it's really tangly I spray with oil before I comb, not full oil but something like got2be. It then combs through easily without any tugging involved. I always do this after a wash.

I've never found a way to stop my hair being tangly but you can find a way to deal with it in a kind way that significantly reduces breakage.

StellaKatherine
June 4th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Like many others allready said. The worst is the new groth hair i have which is now at the back of my neck. They tangle like crazy! I am kinda thinking of trying to oil the ends of the shorter hair on the neck and see if that would help with making them less tangling. All in all i would say, that long hair needs some patience. I live by the rule my grandmother said to me when I was a child while detangling and braiding my hair. " Beauty needs sacrifices". I make those little sacrifices daily, with detangling, oiling, braiding, putting in a bun. But then again i think short hair needs a lot of work to make it look great too, unless someone is lucky enough to have a very nice behaving hair :D

Anyway, you are the one who is living with your hair. So only you can decide if it worth to keep longer ot not :)

Janette17
June 4th, 2014, 01:53 AM
When I wear my hair down it tangles constantly too, especially underneath at the back of my hair. Now it's longer it is better, mostly because I wear it up. I found the biggest culprit was necklaces or scarves, or anything around my neck!

MINAKO
June 4th, 2014, 02:23 AM
I dont use my silk pillow case very often tbh, but when i wear my hair down i sure go for a silk blouse, fine silk kniw sweater or a silk scarf to prevent friction and tangles. I think it's often the clothes, not so much the hair itself.

ETA: leather shirt! ;)

lapushka
June 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I douse my hair in cones, and never get a tangle (if it's all done *right*). My hair is hip+ right now, on its way to TBL (2 inches to go). It's never combed or brushed either (for a week, until right before a wash). My washing & styling method is in my signature, in case you're interested and might want to try cones for a while. They're not bad, honestly. Especially for long hair, I deem them a necessity.

FuzzyBlackWaves
June 4th, 2014, 07:34 AM
My hair definitely got more tangles when it was shorter and when I tried to give up cones completely.