PDA

View Full Version : 5th LHC Anniversary :)

Quixii
June 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
Five years ago today, I joined LHC. Every year since then I've meant to do an anniversary thread, but always forget. But I figured 5 is a good number to remember! =)

I saw a link to LHC in someone's signature on another site. It was the second time I saw it. The first time I didn't actually look at it. I figured it was a place for people with really long hair to hang out, and having only hip length hair at the time, I didn't think I qualified. But some time later I saw it again, and actually clicked around, and realized that LHC is much more than that, so I joined.

Not long before I joined, my hair looked something like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/myhair2-1.jpg
I liked my hair, but I was a bit frustrated with it. That picture was from a good day, but most often it looked frizzy and poofy. When I was a kid I used to have fights with my parents over brushing my hair, them saying that I have to brush it to get the tangles out, and I saying that if I brush it the curls go away, and them saying I don't have curls. Finally I reached an age where I realized I didn't really want to have awful tangles in my hair all the time, so I started brushing it once or twice a day and trying to deal with my frizzy, wavy hair.
I also didn't think it was growing much any more, and was rather stuck at somewhere between hip and tailbone. I would later learn that the couple inch trims my mom would helpfully do for me every so often, were actually too often, which is why my hair didn't seem to grow.

When I joined LHC I quickly jumped on this idea that actually, not everyone has to brush their hair, and perhaps I was one of those people. I think this is one of the first pictures I took for LHC:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/DSCN5879-1.jpg
And with more encouragement or care, it looked like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/DSCN9296.jpg
I felt like there was a whole new world open to me. I actually had very nearly the curls I always wanted!

Like many new members, I experimented with the advice I found here. I stopped brushing, I tried combing only in the shower, I switched to 'cone-free and sulfate-free products, I tried plopping my hair in t-shirts and leaving in conditioner or oil and I started learning new ways to wear it up, after having had it basically in a ponytail for the last several years. I stopped trimming, and found my hair was still growing. I settled on a routine pretty early on, and was delighted to find that in following this routine, my hair grew longer and my curls looked better.

My hair passed tailbone and started getting to classic. I realized with mild frustration that it was hard to really monitor my growth, as it could curl differently day to day, but I didn't really mind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN3737.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN0254sm.jpg

I still did fun things, like dying my hair with deposit-only dyes in various ways.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/collage1ssm.jpg

I learned ways to encourage the curl.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN5091sm_zps6e807f95.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/P8210106_zps524b706b.jpg

I learned ways to put it up, and started wearing it up more often than not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/PicsArt_1357107953071.jpg

And finally today, I'm still delightfully happy with my hair. I wear it up most of the time, which is the easiest thing ever. Sometimes I wear it down, and I still marvel at how beautiful I think it is. I'm so close to my goal length of knee, if not basically there already.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/P5310049_zpse49b5510.jpg

Though of course LHC has helped me grow my hair and I'm thankful for that, even more, LHC has been like a consistent friend for the last five years. It was there for my second year of high school, when I entered my first relationship, when I started my first job, when I struggled with the weight of college decisions, when I first started college, when I was stressed or lonely, when my relationship ended. It helped encourage my life-long love of crafts, as I started nail art, discovered the world of making hair toys, got more heavily into knitting. It was there for other health aspects of my life, like introducing me to the world of proper bra fitting and menstrual cups. When I had a question about anything, I could turn to LHC.
Even more than all the online support, I've made real life friends because of LHC. I know I have a community of people I can meet with in either of my current homes. Even when I was studying abroad in London, I met with LHC members there! My current best friend I met first here. The world feels like a smaller, more approachable place because of the impressive and welcoming community I found in LHC.

So thanks for the last five years, LHC. Looking forward to growing with you more! <3

robijntje
June 2nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
congratulations! your hair is so beautiful!! i love your curls! :D

neko_kawaii
June 2nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
Happy to be here with you! I've never seen those early pics before, thanks for sharing.

martyna_22
June 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
I giggled when I read your parents said you have no curls, if you don't, who does? LHC indeed is more than just hair advice, I can fully agree on that.
You should be seriously proud of that mane of yours, it's magnificent! :crush:
Happy anniversary! :)

two_wheels
June 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM
Such pretty curls Quixii! I also chuckled at the "no curls" parental opinion :D

jupiterinleo
June 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Your hair is SO gorgeous. I'm happy for you! Your hair was nice before and now it's just jaw-dropping!

ExpectoPatronum
June 2nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Omgosh. You have BEAUTIFUL hair! I'm sitting here staring enviously at it.

LHC is definitely more than just hair advice, and that's one of the reasons I stick around.

prettyinpink
June 2nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Congratulations. Your hair is beautiful!

hypersensitive
June 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
I've never seen your before pics. I'm glad to know that LHC has helped you out! These were great! Your curls are to die for!

CousinItt
June 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
I LOVE the last picture. Your hair is so lovely :)

butterfly_dream
June 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Quixii, I always admired your hair. It’s insanely beautiful!!
Happy anniversary!:o

Quixii
June 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I had a whole album of before/during pics, but when the albums crashed I kinda lost those pictures. They're on an old computer in California, I think. Luckily I still have a couple of them, that I gathered for this thread. :)

sumidha
June 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
What lovely curls! :)

Would you mind sharing a little bit about your current routine?

fiğrildi
June 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
You have my dream hair... you're my hair hero! :bowtome: Your rainbow hair was amazing! Congratulations on your 5th anniversary :)

cocolover
June 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous hair! Happy anniversary :)

slynr
June 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Your hair is amazing. I love these progression posts. It is so cool seeing people's hair transformed. It was beautiful before but WOW now:) Congratulations!

Larki
June 2nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Your hair is absolutely STUNNING.

Quasiquixotic
June 2nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Quixii your hair is beautiful! You inspire me to grow to knee :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 2nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Wow. Be proud of that hair, it is superb! I just want to keep looking at that last photo! :)

Quixii
June 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Would you mind sharing a little bit about your current routine?
Sure! It's super simple because I'm lazy. :p
Usually once or so a week, I wash my hair. I detangle it with a wood bristle brush before I get in the shower. Then I shampoo the roots (down to about my ears) with sulfate- and cone-free shampoo, then rinse that out. Then I use a ton of cone-free conditioner. I've been using Tresseme Naturals for a long time, because I like how thick it is and it seems to do the job. I do a bit of finger detangling to make sure it's detangled and has the conditioner worked in, and then I put my hair in a bun and go about my remaining shower activities, letting the conditioner soak in or whatever. Then I rinse it out. Then while it's still dripping wet, I brush it again.
Some days I then immediately put it up, and I'll then wear it up until the next time I wash it, because it adopts various shapes easily and most often the resulting bun waves look a bit wonky. Some days I want to wear it down or in a ponytail, so I'll smooth in just a bit of conditioner and leave it alone to dry. Sometimes I'll put it in a cinnabun or give it an encouraging twist, which I undo while it's still really damp. This can help encourage the curls to all go in one direction. Or it can make my hair decide it doesn't want to cooperate that day. :lol:

Anyway, that's basically it. Like I said, I wear it up most of the time because it's so easy and worry-free.

woodswanderer
June 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Amazing pics! I love to see how you found your true texture and encouraged it. Lovely.

Beatnik Guy
June 2nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
5 years? :silly:

Your hair is stunning --- and it was great to meet you in London last year! :D

Vanilla
June 2nd, 2014, 04:14 PM
Awesome pics, awesome hair and congrats on your anniversary! I totally agree that LHC is more than a place to meet to discuss hair :)

ashke50
June 2nd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Quixii your hair is stunning! I love the curls, the natural colour, and the rainbows!

Crumpet
June 2nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
One of my favorite heads-of-hair on the LHC. Really gorgeous curls, length, and colour. Your 'before' picture was a surprise to me -- I'd always seen such happy curls on you. So glad you found the LHC!

lapushka
June 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
That was an awesome post to read, Quixii. Happy anniversary, and many more. Happy growing! :)

Yozhik
June 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Your hair is so beautiful, Quixii, and I love to see its progression!

Stunning hair! :thudpile:

Also, I completely agree with you on what an amazing and supportive community LHC is. Without it, my life would quite honestly be less rich and diverse. :heart:

krissykins
June 2nd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Oh my goodness, seeing your before pictures brings back memories. :p Congratulations on five awesome years! I'm glad you're still around. :)

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Gorgeous hair and so glad you came here to learn all about caring for it :) I just LOVE happy endings!

Arwenlily
June 2nd, 2014, 06:24 PM
You have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen! I hope my curls stay like yours when I reach that length.

BrendaLoan
June 2nd, 2014, 07:09 PM
Happy anniversary, Quixii! Your hair is amazing :crush: Thank you for sharing your journey with us

Beborani
June 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
You are wise and lovely and your hair is of course gorgeous. Good luck with the next stages in your life.

MeowScat
June 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Congratulations on 5 years! Your hair is always gorgeous and I really enjoyed this post. Great pics! :)

EdG
June 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Happy anniversary, Quixii! You have been here for a quarter of your life. :)
Ed

allycat
June 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
Quixii, your hair is stunning! Happy anniversary!

It cracks me up that your parents tried to tell you that your hair wasn't curly. Do they think it's curly now? ;)

duchess67
June 2nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Happy anniversary, Quixil! Gorgeous hair and I love the curls.

littlehedgy
June 2nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe its all my baby hormones but reading that almost made me cry!! Very very sweet sentiment and then incredibly encouraging. Your hair is jaw dropping and gives me hope that maybe I have some curls just saying to come out. Happy anniversary!!

kitana97
June 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM
Your curls look so great! Yay on your 5 year anniversary <3

Sterlyn
June 2nd, 2014, 09:34 PM
Quixii, your hair is beautiful and your curls are :thudpile:

54chevy
June 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM
Very touching :3 And also... parents don't always know whats best, but I am glad you learned. Do they love your hair now? ((They should, it's gorgeous))

longhairedlady
June 2nd, 2014, 09:47 PM
The difference in your intital picture (with was beautiful too!) and your later pics is amazing! You have ringlet curls, I couldnt be anymore jealous!

Tini'sNewHair
June 2nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
:thudpile: The queen of curls!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER EVER seen curls THIS amazing, especially at THIS length!!!!!!!!!

Teazel
June 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
Awesome anniversary post. Congratulations on 5 years and on your utterly glorious hair! :thud:
I, too, am wondering what your parents think about your lack of curl now. :D

cat11
June 2nd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Your hair is beautiful and its amazing how you "unlocked" your curls like that! The last picture is amazing. Congrats!

I LOVE these anivesarry threads. So cool to see. Please keep posting em people!

Quixii
June 2nd, 2014, 11:18 PM
You have been here for a quarter of your life. :)
:bigeyes: Ohmygosh you're right! That's crazy!

And thanks everyone for the compliments! (I gotta admit, I don't mind that part of LHC either. :D)

MaryO
June 3rd, 2014, 04:16 AM
Oh my word your hair is gorgeous! Well done on doing such a good job! :-D

embee
June 3rd, 2014, 04:48 AM
Beautiful post, Quixii! :)

momschicklets
June 3rd, 2014, 05:52 AM
UN. Believable! What a show-stopping head of hair you have! The curls...the color....the length....drool...:blossom::blossom: Happy anniversary!!

browneyedsusan
June 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM
Atta-girl! Quixii! :cheer:

I giggled at your idea of hiplength hair being too short to join, when I elbowed my way in with the a pixie!

Your hair is as beautiful as your character. :flower:

harpgal
June 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Well done, Quixii! Your hair is truly very beautiful! May you keep your tresses this lovely, forever.

gossamer
June 5th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Oh Quixii, your curls! :inlove:

Tota
June 6th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Your hair is stunning! Congrats on your progress. You belong in LOTR movies or GoT series - a mysterious fairy princess with magic golden locks.

Stray_mind
June 6th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Amaaaazing hair. I allways had a thing for curlies and wavies.. Congratulations! :)

ErinLeigh
June 7th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Great hair and story. I enjoyed reading the story as much as I enjoyed the pics.
Your hair is soooo pretty. I adore the color and curls and I am happy to read you think your hair looks beautiful. I don't see that stated very often and it actually made me smile to see someone truly enjoy what they have.

justme
June 7th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Gorgeous hair, beautiful ringlets!! I too remember my mom wanting me to brush out my hair! Even a few years ago, she still tried to comb it. Doesn't work when it's curly at all, even wavy, and certainly not with ringlets like yours!

This place is pretty special and I feel privileged to have been here with you and everyone else during so much of our lives! :D

HairFaerie
June 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Beautiful words and even more beautiful hair! :)

Radiant
June 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Your hair is seriously the most gorgeous hair I believe I've ever seen. So amazing!

Komao
June 7th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Quixii, I really enjoyed reading your post and looking at your hair through the years.
Happy Anniversary and your hair is beautiful. :o

Impulsive
June 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I hope my hair eventually turns out to be just a little bit like yours, because your hair is stunning. Happy Anniversary!

Quahatundightu
June 12th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Gorgeous, it's really amazing to see your progression :) Your post was very sweet, and I totally agree, this is a wonderful community that I have learnt so much from!

Selchie
January 28th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Your hair inspires me so much! It's the most gorgeous I ever saw, my dream hair! Love the pics <3
As Tota said, you belong in LOTR movies! :eek:

yogagirl
January 28th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Oooh thank you for bumping this thread! It was before my time, but I really enjoyed it.

Quixii, your hairs is magnificent! Wonderful color and I adore the curls <3 You did a wonderful job bringing your curls to life.

PS: Everytime I see your signature picture I think of a girl I met in college. You could be twins, from the backs of your heads at least! :) I wish I had hair like you two!

Mearwynna
January 28th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Your story is encouraging. Thanks for sharing it. You siggy pic is amazing.

Belle Paix
January 28th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Oh it's so awesome to see this! You're definitely one of my hairspirations on this site. Beautiful!!

browneyedsusan
January 28th, 2015, 04:42 PM
So pretty, Quixii! My sister has a headful of dark curls. Me, not so much! lol! I love how your curls take on different shapes and roll patterns.

I totally agree about the awesomeness of TLHC. (I felt welcome with a growing-out pixie, for heaven's sake!) I've gotten lots of help and support with all sorts of life situations from members here!

Keep up the good work! Your hair is totally fabulous!!!

FallingDarkness
January 28th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Words cannot describe your hair and capture all of its beauty.
Your curls, your length, your thickness - perfection!

Daylilly
January 28th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I am so touched by your post. I am new and had no idea what a great place LHC is and you just let me know I have stumbled on something special. Your hair is so amazing!

Flowerness
January 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I loved reading your post and seeing your beautiful photos. You have such cool hair! If I could choose to have hair any way I wanted, it would be long and curly like yours... even if just for a day!

Now, after seeing your hair grow so much and look so healthy and beautiful, do you ever wonder where it will be 5 years from now?

Thank you for sharing your hair anniversary and photos with everybody!

Quixii
January 28th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Oh gosh, this has been bumped up!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Komao
January 29th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Quixii, so enjoyed looking at your beautiful hair, curls are to die for and reading about your hair journey. :)