PDA

View Full Version : Curlies, cut dry or wet?

sourgrl
June 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
My DS4 has decided he wants to go shorter with his next hair cut. He has a mix of loose waves and tight curls that I would like to have cut to compliment their natural ways. I'm under the impression that the best way to cut his hair to compliment its natutal texture is to cut it dry instead of wet, especially since some of it has tight spirals that stretch when wet so they dry into a different length. Every time he's gone in for a trim they cut it wet. Should it be cut wet or dry?

chen bao jun
June 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
I won't get my hair cut wet as you really have no idea what is being cut off and how it will look dry. If you are obsessed with a perfectly even hair cut, let the barber brush it first--even though the person looks ridiculous with brushed hair, you do know what you are cutting and wash it afterwards. but to be truthful, it doesn't matter if my hair is cut evenly or not, curls look fine cut unevenly.
It's harder for a boy, maybe someone with a boy can weigh in. for a boy you might actually try a black barber (AFrican American), they are used to working with curls and are very very skilled (unless black hairdressers for women who are a disaster). a black barber will also have worked with wavy hair, as there are black men with naturally wavy hair and I have seen them cut white men's hair with no problem. Just get a recommendation for someone good in your area.
they also tend to be CHEAP.

sourgrl
June 2nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Chen, I would have never thought of that. That is very helpful. Thanks so much.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
It sounds like in his case it would be a good idea to dry cut if you want the different textures to dry at the same length.
Personally, I cut mine wet. I know you're not "supposed" to but I'm a little OCD about it being even. But then again, I rarely wear it down. It's usually braided and I wouldn't want the end of my braid to look oddly uneven. I haven't noticed the wet trimming contributing to any more split ends like I've heard it can- I'm finding fewer and fewer as time goes on and I take better care of my hair overall. :shrug:

legendya
June 2nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
I agree with the others. Cut it dry. You can see how long the curls will be in its natural state.

sourgrl
June 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you, lauren_alia and legendya. I really appreciate your input. I think it will be easier to ask for it cut dry then to convince the hubby it's time to go a little shorter with DS hair.

CurlyCap
June 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM
What kind of cut? Is its going to be more conventional (short sides with slightly longer top), then I'd cut dry. But remember that any amount of drastic cutting will result in breaking the curls up as they manipulate the hair, so it would be until he re-washes that he'll know what he got.

If he's going for more of what a girl would call a curly pixie or bob (basically, even length all around), you can cut either wet or dry.....but I'd cut one curl at a time. But the same amount from each curl to get to the right approximate length and then trim the curls that you want shorter for shape. It's being called a Diva Cut these days, but whatever the name the technique points out that the whole "comb out and cut across the bottom" approach that works for straight hair is a nightmare with curly hair.

Just like with a girl, make sure he knows (or you know if he's too young) what you want the final cut to be like so the hair dresser know's what they're shooting for. Also, make sure to ask if they know how to achieve that look with his hair type and be willing to pay them for their time if they say "No."

queenovnight
June 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
In my opinion, curly and wavy hair should always be cut dry. You can see what your working with, and how it'll turn out. With wet hair.. anything can happen.

MINAKO
June 2nd, 2014, 08:20 PM
I cut mine on the last day after i've flatironed it, before the wash. So it's bone straight and also quiet heavily oiled, it's gives me the control i need to do it on myself: But the again i need to do it this way, as i prefer to wear it straight anyways. The thing is, it's still very even when the waves pop back in after the wash, i just dont have this curly underlayer, so it's probably more predictable on my head. Rgardless of the pattern tho, i would just not dare to cut random pieces of curl, as they might fall differently the next time and there are pieces sticking out you haven't seen before. Happened to me bfore when i went for a dry cut at the salon.

chen bao jun
June 2nd, 2014, 09:05 PM
I think the cut Curly Cap is referring to is called a "DevaCut". I heard that they are great but didn't realize they did them for boys.

sourgrl
June 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Thank you CurlyCap. I'm familiar with the Deva cut but I don't believe there's a place within a reasonable driving distace that is familiar with it. I'd be happy to find someone that's familiar with cutting curls, which seems to be hard. We're going short and shaggy, if that makes sense.

What kind of cut? Is its going to be more conventional (short sides with slightly longer top), then I'd cut dry. But remember that any amount of drastic cutting will result in breaking the curls up as they manipulate the hair, so it would be until he re-washes that he'll know what he got.

If he's going for more of what a girl would call a curly pixie or bob (basically, even length all around), you can cut either wet or dry.....but I'd cut one curl at a time. But the same amount from each curl to get to the right approximate length and then trim the curls that you want shorter for shape. It's being called a Diva Cut these days, but whatever the name the technique points out that the whole "comb out and cut across the bottom" approach that works for straight hair is a nightmare with curly hair.

Just like with a girl, make sure he knows (or you know if he's too young) what you want the final cut to be like so the hair dresser know's what they're shooting for. Also, make sure to ask if they know how to achieve that look with his hair type and be willing to pay them for their time if they say "No."

Thank you for your opinion :)

In my opinion, curly and wavy hair should always be cut dry. You can see what your working with, and how it'll turn out. With wet hair.. anything can happen.

I appreciate your thoughts, Minako.

I cut mine on the last day after i've flatironed it, before the wash. So it's bone straight and also quiet heavily oiled, it's gives me the control i need to do it on myself: But the again i need to do it this way, as i prefer to wear it straight anyways. The thing is, it's still very even when the waves pop back in after the wash, i just dont have this curly underlayer, so it's probably more predictable on my head. Rgardless of the pattern tho, i would just not dare to cut random pieces of curl, as they might fall differently the next time and there are pieces sticking out you haven't seen before. Happened to me bfore when i went for a dry cut at the salon.

I don't think of boys when I think of a devacut but if I knew of someone that could do it we'd be there.

I think the cut Curly Cap is referring to is called a "DevaCut". I heard that they are great but didn't realize they did them for boys.

Miss_Green
June 4th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I would STRONGLY recommend that you cut it dry. Some parts will be curlier than others, and the end result could be really quite uneven if cut wet. I've found (on my own hair), that the shorter the overall haircut, the more obvious this unevenness is.