PDA

View Full Version : Another Salon Visit Experience

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 02:55 PM
Yesterday I went to get my layers redone and get an inch or two cut off, for maintenance’s sake. Since reaching my goal of WL, I am comfortable at this marker. My hair is in good shape, and I can wear it down without too much fuss. I can also bun it when I need to, and since I have never been a huge braider, this works well for me.

I made an appointment at my new local salon. I had long layers cut back in October. Until then, my hair was mid-back, but because it’s rather thick, it was really heavy and did not move much. It made wearing it down a bit uncomfortable and bunning it was giving me headaches after merely an hour. The long layers were a huge success for me.

Overall, yesterday’s visit was good. The girl who washed my hair was receptive to the water temperature I requested since it was much cooler than most of her clients, and the young lady was quite gentle with my hair. I was also advised that because I was not blow drying my hair, I would pay $15 less than the usual price. After my hair was washed and conditioned, I wasn’t hassled about detangling my own hair. The stylist told me to take my time and once he was ready to make the first cut, he showed me how much he was taking off and waited for me to agree.

At first, I was a bit nervous he would cut off too much or that the hair would be thinned out too much as he redid the layering so I took before and after pictures to compare:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/0601142_zps1b207838.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/0601142_zps1b207838.jpg.html)
Before the cut

It was a good experience once again, but I had not realized how much my hair had grown. As he was shaping it, I could feel it becoming lighter. The only drawback out of this visit was the products they used in my hair. The sulfate based shampoo wasn’t too bad, but the coney conditioner applied directly to my scalp and then slopped on my length was awful. It made my hair stick straight, but frizzy, and once it dried, it was limp and smooth except at the ends, which were very tangly. No matter how much I scrunched with my usual gel while it was still wet, it just lay flat and lifeless, and when it dried, it just stayed the same way…ugh!

So today, I washed it again with a clarifying shampoo to get all the cones completely out, and then I used my usual set of products. What a huge difference. I know many here love coney products, and I totally respect that, but for myself, I will never go back to using them.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/060114_zpse6acca18.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/060114_zpse6acca18.jpg.html)
After I washed out all the gunk out of it. It's still slightly damp here, but you can see the layering really well.

two_wheels
June 1st, 2014, 03:00 PM
I love your layers! the movement and wave you have going on. Beautiful.
I get the same with cones btw, straight, limp and frizzy.

What products do you use? (enable another wavy, go on)

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 03:56 PM
I love your layers! the movement and wave you have going on. Beautiful.
I get the same with cones btw, straight, limp and frizzy.

What products do you use? (enable another wavy, go on)

Shampoo - Shea Moisture's Baby Red Tea and Babasu Head to Toe Wash and Shampoo

I have been doing WCC and alternate between:

Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner and Aubrey Organics GPB

I finish each wash with some Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner

I then wrap my head in a turban towel and mix a small amount of Monoi Oil and DevaCurl's Light Defining Gel from roots to ends and scrunch

two_wheels
June 1st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Cool, thanks! I'm going to get some monoi oil when I run out of regular coconut, will have to try mixing with gel, sounds good :)

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 04:05 PM
You're very welcome. As your hair gets longer, your wave will develop more...can't wait to see! :)

BrendaLoan
June 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM
Wow, the layers look amazing! Today is my first day cone free, and I hope my hair can look like that, so nice and shiny :o

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM
Wow, the layers look amazing! Today is my first day cone free, and I hope my hair can look like that, so nice and shiny :o

Your hair already looks amazing so I can imagine how magnificent it will look with more body and less stuff to weigh it down.

Sharysa
June 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM
Fantastic! The last time I had layers was at shoulder-length in high school. With lots of straightening.

So with my borderline wavy hair, you can imagine why I'm not too keen on trying layers again yet. Plus I like braids.

Kherome
June 1st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Cool, thanks! I'm going to get some monoi oil when I run out of regular coconut, will have to try mixing with gel, sounds good :)

Just to chime in here...if you get REAL monoi oil you may be disappointed. Real, honest to goodness monoi is just refined coconut oil that has had Tiari flowers soaked in it. It does NOT retain much, if any floral scent. To make sure it's real you'll have to be sure it has the appellate of origin on it as well.

Now, if you buy pseudo monoi, you can get it in any scent you like ;)

MissPetite2010
June 1st, 2014, 04:46 PM
Beautiful hair! :) He did a great job!

two_wheels
June 1st, 2014, 04:50 PM
Just to chime in here...if you get REAL monoi oil you may be disappointed. Real, honest to goodness monoi is just refined coconut oil that has had Tiari flowers soaked in it. It does NOT retain much, if any floral scent. To make sure it's real you'll have to be sure it has the appellate of origin on it as well.

Now, if you buy pseudo monoi, you can get it in any scent you like ;)

Ah! Thankyou... Might go for the frangipani enhanced ones then, or add some essential oil :)

Kina
June 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM
Dweamgoil, your hair is absolutely stunning!

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 06:00 PM
Dweamgoil, your hair is absolutely stunning!

Thanks, Kina :)

sourgrl
June 1st, 2014, 06:12 PM
DweamGoil, your hair is gorgeous!! So shiney and thick. May I ask if you henna?

spidermom
June 1st, 2014, 06:12 PM
I like your new cut a lot.

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 06:17 PM
DweamGoil, your hair is gorgeous!! So shiney and thick. May I ask if you henna?

Yes, ma'am. I henndigo to hide my greys.

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 06:19 PM
I like your new cut a lot.

Thanks, spidermom. It's so much easier to deal with now that the weather is warming up :)

Mainesongbird
June 1st, 2014, 06:23 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! :cool:

Crystawni
June 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM
Beautiful job and nicely balanced! I love how you've found your hair HG. It looks dreamy!

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks Mainesongbird and Crystawni :)

Miss_Green
June 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Beautiful, your layers really bring out the curl!

DweamGoiL
June 4th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Again...thanks everyone! You are all such a supportive bunch of lovely people :toast:

HintOfMint
June 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Ack! Your hair is so lovely!

Clytemnestra
June 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
What a gorgeous cut! Layers are so tempting.