PDA

View Full Version : Self - trimm videos / tutorials

Katyusha
May 31st, 2014, 06:41 PM
I decided that I'll start self trimming because I was disappointed with hair dressers many times. They tend to trim to much or not the way I want. And I know there are many of you self trimmers with happy results. :happydance:

Ok, so we all know Feye's self trim instructions for long hair ( if you haven't seen it here is link: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ ). I know it does wonders for many self trimmers out there. But I was thinking that not all of you use this method.
I would like you to post videos and tutorials on how you trim your hair (yours or videos that you find helpful). Tips, tricks and anything useful for future happy self trimmers. :p:scissors:

Today I found this video linked below and I think I will try it when I'm ready for next trim. I chose this video because her haircut is similar than mine, only that I have longer hair. I still have layers and some bangs. I want to grow them out but I still need to trim top layers until they even with rest of my hair, so Feye's method unfortunately won't work for me.
Here is video that I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlevrcsvbkI

p.s.: I saw typo in my thread name, if someone could change it I'd really appriciate it.

Katyusha
June 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM
No interest in this topic? :/

eadwine
June 1st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Patience my dear Watson ;) It's not even been a day and it is a Sunday to boot :)

teela1978
June 1st, 2014, 01:08 PM
I ususally use feye's self trim for a U-shape and then follow up with something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ

Though I don't put my ponytail so far forward... more right on top of my head, and just trim the ends to give slight layering.

I mainly self-trim because I'm cheap and lazy. I can't be bothered to waste an hour at the hair stylist's, or spend $30 to do to when I can get a similar results in 5-10 minutes for free at home. Some people seem to feel like the hair stylist visits are relaxing and pampering, to me they're nervewracking and boring. So I just don't go anymore.

Katyusha
June 1st, 2014, 01:55 PM
eadwine as you guessed patience is not my biggest attribute :p

teela1978 I saw this method to. Today I tried moving my ponytail to see where would be the most even point and that is on top of my hair. Did you ever accidently cut something really wrong?

jacqueline101
June 1st, 2014, 02:12 PM
I trim my own using the feye method. I'm in the no trims challenge for a year. I'm another one that's not wanting to spend the money on my hair I have other things to spend it on.

Larki
June 1st, 2014, 02:12 PM
I tried Feye's method once a few months ago and butchered it, there was a huge chunk like 2-3 inches wide on one side that was like 2 inches shorter than the rest. :(

spidermom
June 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
I always got an uneven result from Feye's method, so I decided to bring the two sides into a single ponytail right under my chin at the center of my neck. Of course I check to be sure that the hair is combed forward evenly on each side. Then I comb the ponytail straight down and close a book (a child's hard-page type) over the length, keep the book level, and slide down towards the ends. I then cut the ends straight across at the bottom of the book.

I get a shallow U-hem from this method.

Katyusha
June 1st, 2014, 02:35 PM
larki did you figure out what went wrong with Feye's method? Have you found new method or you no longer trim your own hair?
spidermom when you put your hair in front in ponytail do you take elastic out when you add book or do you keep elastic band in? I saw some kind of plastic thing instead of book used for self trimming, but it was to expensive for piece of plastic so I decided not to buy it.

Also what kind of scissors do you use, and how much did you spend on them? I know good scissors are really important.

ladonna
June 1st, 2014, 07:06 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMII do my hair like youtuber Gia Nasim. V-hemline with framing layers.

teela1978
June 1st, 2014, 07:50 PM
eadwine as you guessed patience is not my biggest attribute :p

teela1978 I saw this method to. Today I tried moving my ponytail to see where would be the most even point and that is on top of my hair. Did you ever accidently cut something really wrong?

Katyusha, I've never cut more than an inch or so (2-3 cm max). Hard to make much go really wrong on that scale :) Plus my hair is just wavy enough that any unevenness wouldn't really show.

Sharysa
June 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
I use Feye's self trimming method for a moderate/deep U-hem. I'm not too concerned with being perfect as long as everything looks symmetrical and I can keep my fairytale ends, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Tini'sNewHair
June 1st, 2014, 09:30 PM
Has anybody got a self trim tutorial for a STRAIGHT hemline please? I do the feyes method for this, but i would like to hear feedback from others doing it as well. I do the ponytail at the back... Im not sure if my hemline is really straight across tho

tiny squirrel
June 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I just tried Feye's method for the first time. I like a straight hemline too. I used a single pony in the back and cut about an inch off. I repeated the process 3 more times each time switching which side I pulled the pony over, and only trimming the stragglers that stuck out. I looked straight ahead or maybe tilting my chin SLIGHTLY up when pulling the pony downward. The results were great. My hemline is a BARELY noticeable U shaped, but it looks basically straight. I actually think I like it better than my usual blunt straight hemline; it's a bit softer.

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
For layering, there are two techniques called "compact cuts" (from the book, "Haircutting for dummies"). One method is gathering all your hair on top of your head and cutting for longer layers:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

The other method is gathering your hair on top of your forehead for shorter layers.

I'd recommend your hair be at least BSL for these layering techniques or you are going to end up with pretty damn short layers. My hair is cut with the second method. My longest layers are hip+ and my shortest layers are APL+, so...

Katyusha
June 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM
When I'll be needing a trim I'll go for this method as you suggested lapushka. I was playing with my hair and I noticed that my hair gets to a blunt point in the middle of my head. I will trim away really small amount because I don't want to make any mistake.