PDA

View Full Version : Plopping, easiest one ever. How do you plop?

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 07:56 AM
I used to grab a pillowcase, but it is slightly small, so I have like 1" worth of material to tie together.. and all that trouble to gather all the material..

Whenever I put my hair in an oil treatment, I put this BIG hanky on there.. fold a tip part way back, use that now flat end for the front, flip the rest over my head and tie at the nape making sure the flipped over part is between my neck and the tie so it stays put.

My hair is dripping from just having been washed after henna, I am going to leave orange spots all over, and it dawned on me.. what if I plop to get rid of the excess water with that hanky??

So.. same procedure, just put the hanky on the table, fold over on the front, put my hair and head on it, flip the large part of the hanky over my head, hold with my right hand, then grab the left pointy end and bring it to the nape, hold the folded back tip there with that hand now, grab the right pointy end and tie the dealie, stand up, pull the folded back tip down a bit so it is tight against my head and done!

Here I was making it SO hard on myself :rolleyes: this is SO much easier! :D :lol:

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 08:19 AM
Glad you found a way that works. You could try a big towel or a big t-shirt (the sleeves roll up at the sides and give you something to tie the plop with).

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 09:12 AM
I tried.. nope. I'll use this way from now on, works like a peach :)

jeanniet
May 31st, 2014, 12:14 PM
I use a flour sack towel folded in half like a triangle. Lay the towel on the toilet seat, pointy end away, lower my head down, pull the flat part against my forehead and bring the ends around to the back, lift up pointy part to cover the back and tie around it. I don't tie too securely because I only plop for 10 minutes.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 12:16 PM
Ah yep.. that is pretty much how I do it. I just had to use way too many words :lol:

Agnes Hannah
May 31st, 2014, 12:32 PM
UMM, I haven't plopped, what is it, what does it do?

jeanniet
May 31st, 2014, 12:35 PM
Ah yep.. that is pretty much how I do it. I just had to use way too many words :lol:

I thought you were doing more or less the same thing. Are you actually using a big hankie, or is it some kind of towel?

Agnes Hannah, plopping is a way of removing water from hair without wrecking the wave or curl pattern.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
It is an actual hanky :) Not one used for honking though, only for hair stuff :lol:

Here is a picture of a lady sporting one on her head, you can see it is quite big :)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4121/4868759183_ef900c258e_z.jpg

jeanniet
May 31st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Aha, I get it! Here I think you would call that a bandana. Much bigger than a regular hankie. I couldn't figure out how you could manage to fit your head in a regular-sized one. :p Pretty similar to a floursack towel, except maybe a little thinner in the fabric.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Over here people actually use the thing as a hanky though, but mostly (if not only) men.

But I love the big size of it, that is for sure!

Kaelee
May 31st, 2014, 01:04 PM
I don't, but after seeing your results in another thread, I want to try!!! :D Especially after reading these instructions. I'm finding it no longer seems "too much work" and actually might be doable for my lazy bum. :D

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 01:14 PM
I was SO struggling with the stupid pillowcase. It would not sit tight on my head, slip off, I had to rotate the fabric and.. it was one big heap of ugh!

This trick is SO easy!

Just make sure to use a fabric that absorbs the moisture. I believe the hanky is a cotton thing and otherwise linen. Works like a charm! Don't pull it too tight when plopping, you don't want to have FLAT curls hahaha.

neko_kawaii
May 31st, 2014, 01:16 PM
Over here people actually use the thing as a hanky though, but mostly (if not only) men.

But I love the big size of it, that is for sure!

I've used them as hankies when there were no tissues or toilet paper handy, and I have a friend from California who calls them hankies. I've heard in the UK (or some subset there of) they are called 104s because they have so many uses. I used one as a bandana this morning to keep stray hairs out of my face and protect my hair from the grabby straw hat. I have used them for plopping before.

The problem I have with plopping is that my hair is highly malliable, so it takes on any shape it is "told" to, and it holds that shape pretty well. I have to arrange the hair very carefully before plopping or I end up with strange shapes.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 01:29 PM
For me it is not too bad, I do the plopping first and then apply the product and scrunch it in :)

jeanniet
May 31st, 2014, 01:31 PM
Some definitely do use them as hankies, but I think they're supposed to be more of an all-purpose kind of thing for the outdoorsy sort (wiping hands, mopping sweat, etc.) as opposed to the smaller hankies that are for blowing noses. Regular hankies tend to be more muted in color and design, whereas bandanas can be very colorful. I use hankies (men's are really better than women's because they're bigger, but I have both), but sometimes I'm tempted to buy bandanas just because they're so bright and cheery.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 01:36 PM
A rose would be called a rose ;)

I cannot quite call it a sheet :lol:

Buy some, they're fun!