PDA

View Full Version : Gray, shorter terminal?

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 07:43 AM
I've noticed my gray (well, white) hairs are way shorter throughout my hair. There's none that I encountered that are as long as the rest of my hair. I wonder why. Do they have a shorter terminal, could that possibly be it.

What's your experience?

Madora
May 31st, 2014, 07:54 AM
My sparklies keep growing.:)

ashke50
May 31st, 2014, 08:02 AM
Could be that they have a shorter terminal, or could be that you only started getting silver hair recently, so they are all younger hairs, and so not as long. The silver hairs I got when I was at school are as long as the rest of my hairs, but they were caused by a scalp infection so I don't know if they act exactly the same as "normal" silver hairs.

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 08:17 AM
Could be that they have a shorter terminal, or could be that you only started getting silver hair recently, so they are all younger hairs, and so not as long. The silver hairs I got when I was at school are as long as the rest of my hairs, but they were caused by a scalp infection so I don't know if they act exactly the same as "normal" silver hairs.

I've got gray hair sprinkled throughout. Got the first in my early twenties, and it's been sprinkling its merry way tighter and tighter into my hair. I haven't got much, though. But they are there, definitely. This is 2 decades worth of graying. I'd say I have 2% gray in my hair. So they're not new, but that could've been it!

Silverbrumby
May 31st, 2014, 08:28 AM
I've got gray hair sprinkled throughout. Got the first in my early twenties, and it's been sprinkling its merry way tighter and tighter into my hair. I haven't got much, though. But they are there, definitely. This is 2 decades worth of graying. I'd say I have 2% gray in my hair. So they're not new, but that could've been it!

My grays go right through to the longest part of my hair but I'm older and also have a bsl terminal (a few brave strands attempt waist(. I do recall that it wasn't until I git more gray that this happened.

roseomalley
May 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM
Oh, I hope not!

Teazel
May 31st, 2014, 04:56 PM
Some of my longest hairs are silver. :)

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 04:58 PM
Some of my longest hairs are silver. :)

That's very comforting to know, thank you! :D

lunalocks
May 31st, 2014, 06:33 PM
I found my first gray hair 20 years ago. Granted I am going silver VERY slowly, but I have only noticed one so far that is at my current longest length - 41 inches.

cathair
May 31st, 2014, 06:54 PM
I too have white hairs as long as my longest dark hairs :)

mamaherrera
May 31st, 2014, 07:12 PM
THats pretty good, I mean the nice slow rate you'e going, I've gained about 50 whites in 5 years of time. I hope when I have two decades worth, I'm not any whiter than you. But yes I have noticed that some only grow six inches and fall. I henna roots so I keep track :rolleyes: I have one in mind, that grew four inches, fell out and again only grew four inches. It;s right behind my bangs so it's not exactly the edges so I don't know why such a short terminal length. hope it doesn't mean anything bad. I have others right at my temples that grow longer than that!!

darklyndsea
June 1st, 2014, 12:53 AM
It's also possible that they're more fragile than your colorful hair. Or maybe they want to be treated differently and are more fragile because they're not getting the treatment they want.

mamaherrera
June 1st, 2014, 01:15 AM
Who knows, I think we assume all hair in one area grows the same length, but I think hair is like grass, not every strand is the same, some just don't ever grow long, and we never notice until we start paying attention really close, but that one hair of mine that falls at 4 inches (and it's BEHIND my bangs) probably has always had that short terminal length. Who knows. I have a big area around my edges, of hairs that don't grow past 7-8 inches, all around my sides, neck, ears, temples, etc. and it takes a while for those transition hairs to become long terminal ones. About an inch inwards, and then they are long, but they start at 2-3 inches, and slowly get up to 8 inches.

Charybdis
June 1st, 2014, 01:59 AM
Most of my silver hairs have come in at or near my hairline around the face (esp. over the ears), where I have short terminal lengths anyway. I don't notice the silver hairs behaving differently from the pigmented hairs in this respect. The very few silver hairs I have elsewhere seem to grow just as long as the pigmented ones, but I'm only at waist -- I don't know if this trend would continue for me to classic and beyond, for example.

furnival
June 1st, 2014, 03:17 AM
My Mum's hair has been almost entirely grey for years, and after adopting a couple of LHC methods it has grown from her assumed terminal of classic to almost knee. I'm not entirely sure if this has any bearing on your question though!

Othala
June 1st, 2014, 04:35 AM
Nope. My greys went all the way to tailbone and beyond. My aunt has classic length pure white hair.

lapushka
June 1st, 2014, 06:00 AM
Guys, it's reassuring to hear that it can still grow long lengths. The hairs are from the middle and back of the hair, so no shorter terminal lengths anyway. I just noticed, that's all. Nothing to obsess over, really. Pretty odd that they're shorter, might be they came in gray later than the other hairs grew and are still catching up - it's all possible. Who knows, right?

Thanks for reassuring me!