PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary hair mist

legendya
May 30th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I'm interested in making a rosemary hair mist for my hair. I'm hoping to use it to freshen my hair between washes and to make my hair shiny and soft. It'd be great if it could stimulate hair growth, too. I was wondering if I could use just rosemary essential oil and distilled water or do I have to add an oil to the mix? What is the best ratio of rosemary essential oil to water to use? Have you ever made a rosemary hair mist before? If so, what were some pros and cons to using it? Did you notice any growth or other benefits?

DarleneH
May 31st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Yes, you can use essential oil and water. But go very light on the rosemary at first, try that a few days, and then see if you want to add more. Try literally just a few drops of rosemary. I made a rosemary-heavy mist recently and ended up not liking it, and it was a never-ending chore to finish up that.

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 06:36 AM
I use a mist of several essential oils with water. It has cut my shedding down to about 15 hair or so from around 100. I use it 2 times a day. It hasn't been long enough yet to see if it is boosting growth.

serin blackwood
May 31st, 2014, 08:41 AM
I use a mist of several essential oils with water. It has cut my shedding down to about 15 hair or so from around 100. I use it 2 times a day. It hasn't been long enough yet to see if it is boosting growth.

How much water and how many drops of EO's? Do you need to keep it refrigerated? Do you spritz all of your hair or just the scalp? A light spritz or do you make sure your hair and/or scalp is thoroughly wetted? You can tell I am new to the concept of misting ... lol

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 11:07 AM
How much water and how many drops of EO's? Do you need to keep it refrigerated? Do you spritz all of your hair or just the scalp? A light spritz or do you make sure your hair and/or scalp is thoroughly wetted? You can tell I am new to the concept of misting ... lol

I use an ordinary mister bottle, like 8 oz or so. I put about 10 drops of oil all together. Lavender, thyme, rosemary, cedar wood and peppermint are great, or I am using the harmony blend from Edens garden. You can buy this on amazon. I mist the scalp or all of it depending on how wet I want it. Refrigeration is not necessary.

morrigan*
May 31st, 2014, 11:34 AM
I want to try that again :D. Could i brew tea with distilled water and add essential oil in it.

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 11:37 AM
I want to try that again :D. Could i brew tea with distilled water and add essential oil in it.

I would think so. But let it cool before you add eo.

morrigan*
May 31st, 2014, 11:43 AM
But should i refrigerate it or it's not necessary ?

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 02:18 PM
not sure about a tea. I don't refrigerate my water essential oil mix.

serin blackwood
May 31st, 2014, 04:13 PM
I use an ordinary mister bottle, like 8 oz or so. I put about 10 drops of oil all together. Lavender, thyme, rosemary, cedar wood and peppermint are great, or I am using the harmony blend from Edens garden. You can buy this on amazon. I mist the scalp or all of it depending on how wet I want it. Refrigeration is not necessary.

Thanks for the tips, Ravenheather!

HairFaerie
May 31st, 2014, 04:15 PM
Yes, you have to refrigerate brewed tea mixtures. They mold. I found out the hard way! :)

morrigan*
June 1st, 2014, 03:20 AM
Yes, you have to refrigerate brewed tea mixtures. They mold. I found out the hard way! :)

Okay thank you. Then i will probably just stay with water essential oil mix :D

legendya
June 2nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Yes, you can use essential oil and water. But go very light on the rosemary at first, try that a few days, and then see if you want to add more. Try literally just a few drops of rosemary. I made a rosemary-heavy mist recently and ended up not liking it, and it was a never-ending chore to finish up that.

Do essential oils dissolve well in water? How long do you have to wait until it is fully dissolved in the water or is it ok to use right away? I'm thinking 1 drop to a 4 oz bottle to start. Do the bottles have to be glass or is plastic ok?

legendya
June 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM

Sounds great. Any side effects?

ravenheather
June 3rd, 2014, 02:46 AM
Just less shedding. Much less. I use about 10 drops in 8 oz in a plastic bottle. I am losing.g about 5 -30 hairs at a time now. Before it was 60-120.

morrigan*
June 3rd, 2014, 03:15 AM
I made spray with peppermint and tea tree oil. And another benefit is my hair is easier to braid, but i think i overdid on oil a bit. Must use less next time.

legendya
June 10th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Just less shedding. Much less. I use about 10 drops in 8 oz in a plastic bottle. I am losing.g about 5 -30 hairs at a time now. Before it was 60-120.

8 have been shedding a lot lately. Hopefully, it will work for me too.

ravenheather
June 10th, 2014, 08:03 PM
8 have been shedding a lot lately. Hopefully, it will work for me too.

Good luck.

giuditta
June 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Ravenheather do you use it on dry hair or wet? Doesn't it make your hair oily when you use it on your scalp?

meteor
June 14th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Personally, I always dilute essential oils in carrier oils before mixing with water. Oils and water don't mix, so the little droplets of pure EO floating in water could still burn skin.
Of course, if you apply to hair it may matter less, and some EOs can burn more than others, but I dilute in carrier oils, just in case. EOs need tiny concentrations to be effective anyway. Also, beware of spritzing photosensitizing EOs on scalp area within a few hours before going out. It takes many hours (overnight and more) for the photosensitizing effect to disappear.

cdonald2
June 15th, 2014, 10:38 PM
How many drops of the harmony blend do you use per 8oz of water?

truepeacenik
June 15th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I go with one to two drops per ounce, so,for eight ounces, about 12-14 drops.

Tinalee
June 16th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Can fresh herbs be used in the mist or does it have to be oil?

meteor
June 16th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Can fresh herbs be used in the mist or does it have to be oil?
Sure! That's my preferred way actually, because it's safer (harder to overdose) than using EOs. Just steep fresh herbs to make rosemary tea and you have a great mist or rinse.

Tinalee
June 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Sure! That's my preferred way actually, because it's safer (harder to overdose) than using EOs. Just steep fresh herbs to make rosemary tea and you have a great mist or rinse.

Thank you... metor :)

Tinalee
June 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Sorry.....* meteor