PDA

View Full Version : How to make washing every day better for my hair?

Breanna
May 30th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I have seborrheic dermatitis or eczema or something on the base of my scalp/back of my neck and so it gets very irritated if I don't wash every day, but I know all that washing isn't good for my hair. Is there something I can do, some alteration to my routine or my products or something, to make that easier on my hair? I was thinking that maybe I could put up the rest of my hair in a clip while I shower on most days and only wash the underside every day because that's where the itchy/scaly/flaky patches are and wash all of it every other day or every few days, but I would also really like to get more ideas because I just like having a range of options.

ravenreed
May 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I am not convinced that frequent washing is that big a problem for most people. I cleanse with conditioner only every other day, and during the worst of the summer do wash every day, and my hair is fine. I would be more concerned with taking care of your scalp, TBH. You don't mention how you are washing, but I assume you are using an SLS shampoo. Perhaps you can coat your hair from the ears down in conditioner and then wash your scalp the way you need to.

crystalkiss
May 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I do scalp-only washes! My scalp produces a stupid amount of oil and DOES NOT adjust to no shampoo/fewer washes and gets gross really easily, so I just put my hair in a loose bun-type-thing at the nape of my neck (usually I start pulling it through like it's going to be a ponytail, but then stop, then do the same thing again so my hair is up in 2 loops - or if it's already in a braid I roll it up and put a hair tie around it), then put a sandwich bag over it (yes, a sandwich bag, lol... it's cheaper than shower caps :P) and put a rubber band tightly around the base of the plastic above the bun to keep as much water out as possible. SHOWER water will run down and get into the bun still, so honestly I just take a lot of BATHS and lean my head under the faucet and wash my scalp upside down. I have to get as far down as the back of my neck/ears/etc. and this method works pretty well for me.

Breanna
May 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
My hair does seem fine, I've just been hearing about all the extra benefits of less frequent washing and wanted to give it a try. I wash only my roots/scalp with a sulfate free shampoo and sometimes a medicated shampoo when I have it (the stuff's kinda expensive) and I do what you said with the conditioner, only doing the ends and about halfway up the length. I also put a little conditioner on the base of the scalp and let it sit, that seems to help the dryness.
So I guess you're right and maybe I really don't need to necessarily change my routine, I was just curious if there was anything I could do to improve, thank you :)

ravenreed
May 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I found my scalp produced less oil when I switched to CO washing. I was able to go from having to wash every day and having oily hair by the end of the day to having hair that easily goes two days and could probably last three if I wasn't so picky about my hair looking absolutely squeaky clean.

I do scalp-only washes! My scalp produces a stupid amount of oil and DOES NOT adjust to no shampoo/fewer washes and gets gross really easily, so I just put my hair in a loose bun-type-thing at the nape of my neck (usually I start pulling it through like it's going to be a ponytail, but then stop, then do the same thing again so my hair is up in 2 loops - or if it's already in a braid I roll it up and put a hair tie around it), then put a sandwich bag over it (yes, a sandwich bag, lol... it's cheaper than shower caps :P) and put a rubber band tightly around the base of the plastic above the bun to keep as much water out as possible. SHOWER water will run down and get into the bun still, so honestly I just take a lot of BATHS and lean my head under the faucet and wash my scalp upside down. I have to get as far down as the back of my neck/ears/etc. and this method works pretty well for me.

crystalkiss
May 30th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I found my scalp produced less oil when I switched to CO washing. I was able to go from having to wash every day and having oily hair by the end of the day to having hair that easily goes two days and could probably last three if I wasn't so picky about my hair looking absolutely squeaky clean.
Tried it - I tried literally every single method and personally my scalp (all of my skin, really, face etc) just produces an excess of oil no matter what I do. I'm fine with it / have accepted it, just took me some time to realize that what works for everyone else doesn't necessarily work for me / my body chemistry is just different / etc.

Scarlet_Heart
May 30th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I wash every other day. I shampoo only my scalp and then I oil the length. I don't have any scalp issues (other than being prone to shedding a ton if I use the wrong products). But this works nicely for me. I also use something extra thick on my ends like petroleum jelly.

afu
May 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
If I'm going to wash more than twice a week I CO, stops the moisture being stripped out but still cleanses plenty, especially if I shampoo once per week

truepeacenik
May 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Have you tried CWC?
Or diluted shampoo on you scalp only washings?

shutterpillar
May 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I wash every other day in the winter, and pretty much every single day in the summer due to the amount of oil that my scalp produces. I also get very itchy if I do not adhere to this routine.

Scalp only washes are tricky to get the hang of, but they are an option. Most of the time I just get my whole head wet and only wash my scalp with shampoo and condition the length, or I will CO wash. I've been washing this way for years and have found that wetting my entire head of hair during a shower is not causing any damage. The only negative thing I have experienced with daily washing is waiting three hours for my hair to dry everyday.