PDA

View Full Version : What's up with ponytails?

Hatsune Miku
May 30th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone :)

I recently noticed something. Now, there aren't really a lot of longhairs around here past tailbone length. However, out of the handful of people I see with classic+ hair, I noticed something they all have in common: they are almost ALWAYS sporting a ponytail. And 9/10 times, it's a low ponytail.

I find this interesting, because I thought the general consensus was that ponytails aren't very good for your hair since it can result in breaking off hairs (if done too often). But then how come I always see this?

Maybe it's just their hair type? More durable hair = ability to grow hair longer no matter what you do with it?

What do you guys think?

Sharysa
May 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Do you see these people in real life, or on the forums? Generally, most people outside of LHC don't braid or bun very often. Half the time I see girls my age who have hair my length or longer (waist/hip and longer) with loose hair or ponytailed hair.

StellaKatherine
May 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I mostly see one single english braid or open hair till about hip lenght. But here in my city i kinda rarely see a really long haired girls , i mean pass the waist line. I saw the other day a girl with a braid which came under her butt as braided ( stunning braid ), but once again it was in a single braid, no ponytails.

Anje
May 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
It's also possible that most of the longhairs with past-tailbone hair are wearing it bunned, so you don't see their length. For a lot of folks, TB is about the limit for regular wearing down, simply because longer hair does often get sat on and caught on everything.

Otherwise, it's definitely possible that there's a durability aspect. The people who can wear it in a pony do?

Hatsune Miku
May 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Do you see these people in real life, or on the forums? Generally, most people outside of LHC don't braid or bun very often. Half the time I see girls my age who have hair my length or longer (waist/hip and longer) with loose hair or ponytailed hair.

Sorry, I forgot to elaborate. I'm referring to people I see in real life.

It's also possible that most of the longhairs with past-tailbone hair are wearing it bunned, so you don't see their length. For a lot of folks, TB is about the limit for regular wearing down, simply because longer hair does often get sat on and caught on everything.

Otherwise, it's definitely possible that there's a durability aspect. The people who can wear it in a pony do?

That's true, but I don't really see many people around here wearing buns, unless they're using a sock bun.

darklyndsea
June 1st, 2014, 01:10 AM
At least where I am, hair down or in a ponytail are pretty much the only "low-effort" hairstyles people wear. Most don't wear braids or buns unless they're feeling a bit fancy (not to say that they don't occasionally wear them, they just only do them when they wake up feeling the urge to put some extra effort into their hair). And The longer the hair, the less fun it generally is when loose.

kitana97
June 1st, 2014, 01:45 AM
I stopped wearing high ponytails around hip as the weight of my hair started to cause breakage. It's not even that heavy, but I think the increasing length adds enough weight to break. I wear lony ponytails if I do pony, but I wear them incredibly loose, so no strain at all on the roots.

Fericera
June 1st, 2014, 06:50 PM
I always wore a pony tail or braid when it was long because I was a jobless teenager who couldn't buy toys.

Also, I don't think the average person even knows what a hair stick is or how to use it. My mom was shocked when I told her people kept their hair up with just that and no pins.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM
When I was in my teens I always wore a high ponytail with my waist length hair, because it was the only way I knew to put it up, and also I didn't know then that elastics and tight ponytails can damage hair. Maybe most people in real life don't know much about styling and putting up long hair, and so for them, a ponytail is the easy choice.

Sharysa
June 1st, 2014, 07:16 PM
Also, a lot of people want to wear long hair down most of the time, until they find out the reality of long hair is often a boring "keep it braided or bunned most of the time so it doesn't tangle or get everywhere."

I like braids, but you can't wear Game of Thrones fancy styles all the time.

MrsGuther
June 1st, 2014, 08:16 PM
I wear my hair in a ponytail quite a lot. Maybe 5 days out of the week. My hair is about fingertip length now. I am careful when I remove the ponytail holder so it won't break my hair, and I also don't wear the ponytail super tight either.

ravenreed
June 1st, 2014, 08:24 PM
I prefer high ponies to low, and those have to be fairly tight or they end up low ponies quickly. So, I don't wear them nearly as often as I would like. Instead, I wear a comet bun, which eats up enough length to let me wear at least some of my length down without any problem. I don't wear low ponies too often. I am more likely to wear a side braid if I am out and about.

Kat
June 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Comet bun... is that the thing where you do one bun wrap, then pull the hair through the middle, so it's like a ponytail coming out of a bun?

That's how I do a high ponytail, too-- mostly because that's the only way I can get a high ponytail to stay up, because it's the bun that's pinned and supporting the weight. My hair's too heavy for just a ponytail holder/elastic and there's an immediate sag. (Plus the hair shortening.)

Youngjae
June 1st, 2014, 11:26 PM
I used to wear my hair in a low ponytail because I wasn too lazy to braid my hair in the mornings and wasn't very good at braiding. Sure enough, I had a lot of breakage. Not many girls at my school braid/bun their hair, I guess it's because they like their hair down. I have a friend who has waist length hair who always has it down. I guess people think it's pointless to have long hair and to put it up all of the time....

LongHairLesbian
June 2nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
A ponytail used to be the only hair style I knew how to do, and that could be the case with the long hairs you're seeing. No one I know wears braids or buns on a regular basis, not even girls with waist length hair or longer. It's usually down, or in a ponytail. Now I'm a complete convert that wears braids and buns 6 days out of the week, sometimes 7. But I used to be one of those ponytailed lonh hairs you're seeing. :)

Pallas
June 2nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
You'd be surprised how many (long haired) people have no idea how to braid. Growing up I had a friend with probably classic length hair, and she wore a low ponytail everyday. When I told her I wanted long hair so I could have a long braid, she looked at me as if I had gone crazy and informed me that I would need a maid forever then, because braiding on yourself is impossible!:lol:

And eventhough I had long(ish) hair for most of my life, it never occurred to me that I could do awesome things with bunning, let alone use pretty things in a style that wasn't a fancy red carpet 'do full of bobby pins and hairspray. Until I was educated by the internet, that is.

So yeah, I do think a lot of longhairs irl rely on the ponytail for ease and because a large part of the population see braids (and buns and rolls and whatnot) as an unattainable form of magic.

ETA: not that I can blame them, really, when I was convinced for the longest time that french braiding was absolutely impossible to do unless you were some ~super special hollywood stylist~ :lol: I guess some of us are lucky enough to have someone to teach us early on in life :p

chen bao jun
June 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
These are the people with strong hair. the genetically gifted crowd. The people who have long hair without needing the advice of the LHC. If your hair can get to hip or even finger tip on its own without a lot of TLC, and look nice, you don't need to learn or to braid or bun so your choices would be down loose, or in a ponytail.

I'm so grateful to have learned that the 'rest' of us can also get there, though with some work than the gifted ones and will keep on doing my buns and treating mine like antique lace and inching towards my goals. Plus being encouraged by all the people on here who like me, never made it past brastrap before and now have really long lengths after a few years of patience.

StellaKatherine
June 4th, 2014, 01:13 AM
You'd be surprised how many (long haired) people have no idea how to braid. Growing up I had a friend with probably classic length hair, and she wore a low ponytail everyday. When I told her I wanted long hair so I could have a long braid, she looked at me as if I had gone crazy and informed me that I would need a maid forever then, because braiding on yourself is impossible!:lol:

I've made a dutch braid the other day and people at work were asking me how realy do I wake up each morning to make my hair and how long it take me to braid the dutch one. I was like " Hmmm 3 minutes ?" . And got some suprised looks :D

I actually say yesterday a girl with almost classic lenght hair in a low ponytail. It looked cute. Her hair was looking very silky and shiny. I wonder if with that type of a hair it doesn't tangle as much ?