PDA

View Full Version : Re-hello / I've decided to grow out my hair

crystalkiss
May 30th, 2014, 03:32 AM
edit: I tried to edit the title but it's not showing up for me; there's a recent update on page 3.

Hey everyone :) So I posted here very briefly in 2011 just trying to figure out a routine for my (2a, mid-back) hair to minimize frizz and keep it healthy (aaaand now I'm back, haha). I ended up trying EVERYTHING over the next few years from curly girl to CWC to saying "f#$* it" and doing practically nothing to it, being lazy and washing it every day etc. I've finally found a routine that works pretty well for me (mostly involving scalp-only washing and argan oil). I usually cut about 6" off my hair every year (maybe sometimes more like 4" twice a year but yeah), but this year I've decided to only trim the split ends and let it keep growing. I want to be a dork next year and cosplay as a character who has super long hair, hahaha.

I announced that I was growing out my hair and my friends were all like "Growing it out? You mean it's not already grown out? It's stupidly long." I had to laugh because having seen tons of pics of classic+ hair, I consider mine to be somewhat average, hah. For the cosplay to be accurate, I probably need about a foot within the next year... my hair grows pretty fast, so this maaaaaaay or may not be a realistic goal. Fast-growing people, how much length do you get and how fast?? x.x

My hair is fortunately pretty strong/thick/resilient. I typically do use heat on it (I HATE my natural 2a and a blow drier + flat brush are my friends), I admit to occasionally getting mad at it and ripping through it while it's wet/damp, etc. Since I'm now actually TRYING to grow it out for the first time in my life :P, I'm going to start trying to be a little more careful with it. I've just started, for example, sleeping with it braided (to the front, so I don't lie on it). And I'm discovering that I absolutely SUCK at braiding my own hair, hahaha.

Pic (with no product/oil IIRC) from 2 months ago, it's put on some length since, but I'm about to get the split ends trimmed:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3819/14304119615_399c0dbc02_z.jpg

My main concern is keeping it thick all the way down to the bottom. I'm hoping it won't be too too hard. Eeeeeeek!

After the con I'll probably cut it and donate it. I figure if I can get another foot on it in a year (*crosses fingers hard*) I'll be able to spare the difference between my normal post-haircut length (current length minus 4-5 inches) and the new growth :P

Weeeeee! I'm like... nervous but excited! Ahhhh!

florenonite
May 30th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Average growth is half a foot a year, which is half as much as you need. That is, of course, average; fast growers can easily get 1" a month, so your goal may well be attainable.

If you want to keep the ends nice and thick without trimming, though, you'll most likely need to go easy on the blow-dryer. Blow-drying isn't inherently harmful, IMO, as long as you do it at a temperature that doesn't hurt your skin and use a low to medium airflow option, but if you're blow-drying straight that means you're pulling a brush through wet (and therefore more delicate) hair, which is likely to be damaging.

My advice would be to consider something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_W19d3IDk) to straighten your hair after you wash it (the video's done on straightened hair, but you can do it on wet hair to straighten it as well). If you don't really care about your hair being straight and just don't like your natural texture, then braiding or bunning it when it's damp is also an option, and one that you might prefer if you're going out in public.

florenonite
May 30th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Double Post

redredrobin
May 30th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Good luck growing out, your hair is lovely! If you do donate it, make sure to research a reputable charity. Someone will be delighted with that hair so it deserves to go to a good home :)

Selkie-
May 30th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Keep doing whatever it is you are doing as your hair looks lovely and healthy. :)

If you are wanting to grow super-long however it might be a good idea to cut back on the blow-drying (or use the cool setting), wear hair up more often and oil the ends -- this might help you to gain length and prevent split ends.

Good luck.

momschicklets
May 30th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Your hair is just luscious and gorgeous :blossom: Just had to tell ya!

lapushka
May 30th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I grow about 5 to 6 inches a year. That's average for me, about half an inch a month. There may be growth stalls, there may be periods of faster growth, in short, you never really know. So be careful with what you have cut off.

Welcome to LHC. It's a shame though you roundbrush it (from a wavy's perspective), but well, if that's what you prefer, then that's how it goes, right? ;)

Your hair looks lovely, BTW!

crystalkiss
May 30th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Thank you guys!!! And thank you, forenonight, for the link - that's GENIUS. :O

I figured as much re: needing to back off on the heat. Blow-drying on the cool setting is practically useless on my hair, so I think I'm going to have to mostly just time my washes well and let it air dry. It won't dry overnight if I'm sleeping on it, so I guess early in the evening after I get home from work but when I'm still awake and doing stuff will be my best bet. And yes definitely to oiling the ends! At the beginning of this year I got really lazy with my hair for a while so my current ends are REALLY damaged/dry, I aim to take better care of the new ones after next week's trim. :P

I like argan oil, I know a lot of people use coconut oil but I've tried it and it's really STICKY for me?!

lapushka - I love wavy hair on other people, especially 2c - I would kill for 2c hair, and I LOVE curls - but I think 2a on my hair is just hideous XD So I like it either straighter or wavier/curlier, lolol. I curl my hair a lot (with a straightener *ducks and covers head*) but I know I need to stop that if I want it much longer than it already is, so I've already been looking at some interesting no-heat methods on youtube for curls :D

crystalkiss
June 9th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Okay, so I've officially gone a solid week with NO heat (this is a big deal for ME, lol!!) and the week before that, I only caved once. I'm wearing my hair up most of the time and I have to say I like what not straightening it AT ALL is doing to my natural waves... they're more defined and I'm starting to hate them less.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10458435_10152523176796908_2927955552786644453_n.j pg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10371714_10152523176791908_1354598913373792480_n.j pg

Ingrid
June 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Your hair looks very healthy. I love your hair colour.

Larki
June 9th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Your hair is totally gorgeous, and I love the waves!

crystalkiss
June 9th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Thank you guys!! <333

Ingrid, thanks about the color :) <3 It's naturally a kind of chestnut/reddish-brown color (like in my avatar pic) but I dye it ash brown occasionally (dyed it pretty recently before these pics) when it starts looking too streaky/bleachy from the elements :P I use deposit-only dye because it's less damaging, but it fades relatively quickly, so my hair will probably be back to being reddish again soon hahaha.

florenonite
June 10th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Oh, I'm envious of your waves ^_^ So pretty!

Selkie-
June 10th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Absolutely glorious waves! :)

CurlyCap
June 10th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Your hair is my favorite kind of straight hair. It looks like a fairy tale.

Radiant
June 10th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I curl my hair a lot (with a straightener *ducks and covers head*) but I know I need to stop that if I want it much longer than it already is, so I've already been looking at some interesting no-heat methods on youtube for curls :D

Have you tried curlformers? They've worked well for me, although it is kind of a pain to sleep in them comfortably over night (to let hair air dry). They do work well though (for me anyway).

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I love your waves too, crystalkiss. Feel you on the wanting to be straighter or curlier, but your waves combined with length are indeed very princess like :)

kitcatsmeow
June 10th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Average growth is half a foot a year, which is half as much as you need. That is, of course, average; fast growers can easily get 1" a month, so your goal may well be attainable.

If you want to keep the ends nice and thick without trimming, though, you'll most likely need to go easy on the blow-dryer. Blow-drying isn't inherently harmful, IMO, as long as you do it at a temperature that doesn't hurt your skin and use a low to medium airflow option, but if you're blow-drying straight that means you're pulling a brush through wet (and therefore more delicate) hair, which is likely to be damaging.

My advice would be to consider something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_W19d3IDk) to straighten your hair after you wash it (the video's done on straightened hair, but you can do it on wet hair to straighten it as well). If you don't really care about your hair being straight and just don't like your natural texture, then braiding or bunning it when it's damp is also an option, and one that you might prefer if you're going out in public.

Thats exactly how I straighten my hair when it's damp after washing and re-straighten if needed. Been doing it for years, works well!

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Oh, you guys are all too sweet, thank you <3333 CurlyCap and two wheels, see, I've always considered CURLS to be princess hair, hahaha! The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I suppose. "Princess hair" is definitely what I want (I'm determined to do a foresty fairytale photoshoot with my horses someday), so thank you. <333

Radiant, I bought some a few days ago and found that I'm really bad at putting them in so they stay tight, LOL, so I'll have to practice some more; I do have some, I guess I just haven't properly tried them!

kitcat, that's great to hear, thank you for letting me know it works because I haven't tried it yet but it's very comforting to know I CAN straighten my hair without heat if I so desire :D :D

clioariane
June 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Wow your hair looks amazing! I'd say keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there :)

LongHairLesbian
June 10th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Omg your natural texture is GORGEOUS! :D Keep growing, I would love to see an updated pic when it's longer. :)

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you guys! ^___^

And high fives wooooo to LongHairLesbian - fellow lesbian here lolol. I get so sick of hearing "you can't be gay, your hair is so long" and "if you want to attract girls you should cut your hair short so they know you're gay," GRRRR!

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM
lovely hair... keep us posted on your journey~~

crystalkiss
June 10th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Thank you!!! And hi, fellow newbie! :D

crystalkiss
April 1st, 2015, 10:14 AM
Haha so now that it has been closer to a year (I'm so bad about getting busy and disappearing off forums for long periods of time omg), I figured I'd update! I no longer care about the convention and now am just enjoying having really long hair for the sake of it. :P

Here's my hair a few months ago (+no brushing, the natural waves get a bit destroyed if I brush it lol)
https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10885501_10153007214751908_349312055895599290_n.jp g?oh=e558f96a07249ca3878a243b3e5955cf&oe=55A88E1F

and DRUMROLL, here it is now (after sleeping in a few rods; I don't go crazy with them all over my head, too lazy for that) - I FINALLY HAVE MY DREAM HAIR :O
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8707/16968071656_e3b0cd5435_z.jpg

I'm soooo happy with it right now ;____; Ahhhhhhh
thanks to everyone who gave me tips and tricks on keeping it confined last summer while I was still around lol ;___; <3

Doreen
April 1st, 2015, 10:21 AM
It is so beautiful! Your hemline is so nice and those curls are AMAZING!

crystalkiss
April 1st, 2015, 10:24 AM
THANK YOU AHHH!!! <3

I used to hate my natural waves but now I think they make it way easier to get natural-looking curls without too much effort with rods, and they're much much nicer now that I've gone a year without heat/straightening. It's amazing what a difference it (no heat/straightening) made in the texture!!! I couldn't be happier with it right now :D

DreamSheep
April 1st, 2015, 10:51 AM
Wow, amazing beautiful growth!
And your natural texture is beautiful ^-^ I'd say keep it!
Out of curiosity, who were you thinking of cosplaying even if you didn't go in the end?

crystalkiss
April 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
Wow, amazing beautiful growth!
And your natural texture is beautiful ^-^ I'd say keep it!
Out of curiosity, who were you thinking of cosplaying even if you didn't go in the end?

Thank you! And I wanted to do Lulu, from Final Fantasy X. Almost everyone who cosplays her just uses a wig or clip-in braids and you can see why haha:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140809031913/finalfantasy/images/5/5b/FFX_Lulu_Art.png

My hair still isn't long enough for her hairstyle, so maybe in another year if I've gotten a lot of length (+if life is less stressful; I've had a LOT of setbacks in a short period of time, lol) I'll consider giving it a go!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 1st, 2015, 11:06 AM
Wooooow your hair is gorgeous!! <3

DreamSheep
April 1st, 2015, 11:19 AM
Thank you! And I wanted to do Lulu, from Final Fantasy X. Almost everyone who cosplays her just uses a wig or clip-in braids and you can see why haha:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140809031913/finalfantasy/images/5/5b/FFX_Lulu_Art.png

My hair still isn't long enough for her hairstyle, so maybe in another year if I've gotten a lot of length (+if life is less stressful; I've had a LOT of setbacks in a short period of time, lol) I'll consider giving it a go!

That's cool! It even has use of hairtoys! :P I approve!

I am also hoping to cosplay some fun character with my hair sometime :)

gwenalyn
April 1st, 2015, 02:02 PM
Your natural hair is my dream hair! We always want what we don't have :rolleyes:

two_wheels
April 1st, 2015, 02:37 PM
It looks beautiful!

lapushka
April 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM
That looks gorgeous! :D

laceyfairy
April 1st, 2015, 03:37 PM
And high fives wooooo to LongHairLesbian - fellow lesbian here lolol. I get so sick of hearing "you can't be gay, your hair is so long" and "if you want to attract girls you should cut your hair short so they know you're gay," GRRRR!

yep, that's always a fun one! Your hair is looking lovely

crystalkiss
April 2nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
yep, that's always a fun one! Your hair is looking lovely
Right? Haha. people and their stereotypes ;___;

THANK YOU, EVERYONE <3333 sorry I took so long to say so lol, wasn't online much yesterday >__<