PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on this gorgeous TT stick....

Sterlyn
May 29th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I just purchased this beautiful stick from the swap board and loved it as soon as I saw it. However I did not love it so much in my hair..... pics below and asking for honest opinions on whether holly and my hair are a match and whether to keep or put it on the swap board. Thanks for the help in advance. :p

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010963_zps29406746.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/sterlyn1/media/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010963_zps29406746.jpg.html)

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010962_zpsba07e4e0.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/sterlyn1/media/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010962_zpsba07e4e0.jpg.html)

It just doesn't seem to have the same something as the lacewood or Redheart fork below. (please excuse the crazy hairstyle with the redheart it was an at home slouchy, hot day)

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010968_zps9a11a36e-1.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/sterlyn1/media/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010968_zps9a11a36e-1.jpg.html)

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010941_zps592d0cfd.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/sterlyn1/media/Forks%20and%20updos/P1010941_zps592d0cfd.jpg.html)

two_wheels
May 29th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I can see what you mean, the warm/creaminess of the holly clashes very slightly with the silver. The green is very nice though.

I think it's a small effect and not something others would necessarily notice unprompted, so if you love the stick I think it's good to keep!

BonnieU
May 29th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I like it....I think it's def a diff look than the darker woods but I would say the holly stands out just as well and even brings out the lighter tones in your hair. Plus the green against the silver is really nice :)

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2014, 06:17 PM
It's not my favorite thing I ever saw. If I were you I would swap it and get something else. I love your hair in the bright red ficcares and the lacewood and the other wood look much better to me personally.
I hate my own hair in white forks or sticks too though so maybe I have a prejudice.
Maybe you can get another better for you TT.

Scarlet_Heart
May 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I think the fact that you're asking the question means you should probably try and swap it for something that makes you happier.

Quasiquixotic
May 29th, 2014, 06:30 PM
So my favorite is by far the redheart. But I still think the TT is pretty. It highlights the whiter/silver hairs that looks to be growing in so maybe it will work better in a year or so. I still think it's lovely now.

Cania
May 29th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I think I would prefer the TT is it was more diagonal, I don't know why.

That lacewood... :thud:

truepeacenik
May 29th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Funny. I was thinking of your post where you have all the bright ONN sticks and mentioned one benefit of silver hair is nothing clashes. Then I thought of holly.

Selfishly, I was thinking of when I'd be silvery white and could I still wear my holly TT.

I think you like high contrast. This is a more muted look.

Willowyn
May 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Hi Sterlyn, my opinion is that I don't think it works. That being said, it might be the green that I'm not thrilled about, and I don't think you should rule out holly altogether. I initially assumed I couldn't wear holly because of my hair color, but I picked up a stick on the swap board that had a dark contrast on the stick, and that works: https://www.etsy.com/listing/153066483/the-petite-princess-eve-fancy-scroll?ref=favs_view_11 Since then I've acquired a couple more of high-contrast sticks on holly, and I'm very happy with them. I'll bet something like that would work for you, too. By the way, your hair is beautiful, and it's getting so LONG!! :applause

ETA: Apparently Truepeacenik and I were both channelling "high-contrast" thoughts...

Islandgrrl
May 29th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Willowyn....

Your hair is beautiful. The stick is beautiful. That being said, I'm not a great fan of the two together. My honest opinion...but that's all it is!

Hi Sterlyn, my opinion is that I don't think it works. That being said, it might be the green that I'm not thrilled about, and I don't think you should rule out holly altogether. I initially assumed I couldn't wear holly because of my hair color, but I picked up a stick on the swap board that had a dark contrast on the stick, and that works: https://www.etsy.com/listing/153066483/the-petite-princess-eve-fancy-scroll?ref=favs_view_11 Since then I've acquired a couple more of high-contrast sticks on holly, and I'm very happy with them. I'll bet something like that would work for you, too. By the way, your hair is beautiful, and it's getting so LONG!! :applause

ETA: Apparently Truepeacenik and I were both channelling "high-contrast" thoughts...

Willowyn
May 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Izzy, I think you mean Sterlyn. :flower:

Islandgrrl
May 29th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Yup. I sure did!

Sorry.

Sterlyn and Willowyn, please forgive me for getting you mixed up with each other. It's been a long day and my brain is a little overdone.

:blossom:

Izzy, I think you mean Sterlyn. :flower:

Willowyn
May 29th, 2014, 07:38 PM
(I took it as a compliment.)

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
i LOVE this stick.

Sterlyn
May 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the honesty alot. I think you have all in some way echoed my thoughts.

Cania I agree, I prefer sticks on the diagonal as well, but disc buns are the only thing I can keep singles in. And the lacewood was from Curlsgalore and wow I love it...

BonnieU, Quasiquixiotic and Two_Wheels, thank you for the nice comments to the positive.

Scarlet_Heart and Chen made me laugh, loved the honesty. Scarlet you are probably right, the question itself implies an answer.

Truepeacenik, those words I wrote maybe 2 days ago were the first thing I thought of when I saw it in my hair and thought "*sigh I found something that clashes". I think you are also right about my liking high contrast although I never thought of it that way.

Willowyn, I thought it was a pic of your hair with a holly TT? or was it just a pic of the stick, can't remember. I agree maybe a different inlay would work better.

Islandgrrl; I think you hit the nail on the head, nothing wrong with either individually, they just don't work especially well together. Definitely think a dark wood, with shamrocks would probably be fabulous.

You guys are great, I am going to give this some time, maybe it will grow on me :). When DH saw it, his reaction to the stick was that it was very cool, he thought it looked like ivory and he loved the shamrocks. When I put it in my hair he said, "it doesn't look bad, but it's not my favorite stick in your hair". His attempted male diplomacy made me laugh.....

lunasea
May 29th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Just the stick and your hair together looks fine to me but it seems to be lacking something. Luckily, when you look at someone you don't just see a stick and some hair...you see a whole person. Your hair is gorgeous, the stick is beautiful, and if you were to wear something green with it, I think it would pull the whole picture together and be a knockout!:boxer:

Willowyn
May 30th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Good point, Lunasea!

lapushka
May 30th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I don't see it clashing. I think it looks *very* pretty in your hair!

sourgrl
May 30th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Sterlyn, when I approached Doug about this custom I had only two things in mind: the shamrock china plates I saw growing up as a kid and my Aunt Shirley whom loved Ireland. The design was very personal for me so I never gave it any thought as to how it would look in my hair now or when the greys come in, which is something I have considered with every other hair toy I have bought.

That said, I think it's very pretty in your hair but agree that it doesn't "pop" like a contrasting color would. If you like the subtle look, it's perfect. Good luck in your final decision :flower:

Sterlyn
May 30th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Lunasea that is indeed a good point :).

Thanks Lapushka, I really love this stick when I look at it, I am not wowed when I see it in may hair but maybe every piece I have doesn't have to be wow to wear. I have another piece that I love to look at but I probably won't wear much because it's kinda huge but I intend to keep anyway. It's my elymwood fork with purple acrylic. I think truepeacenik and Willowyn called it about my liking high contrast, guess it goes with being 48 and having screaming silver hair.

Thank you all again for the input :flower:

DarleneH
June 1st, 2014, 02:11 PM
I love the colors, and even in your hair too. But something is off-balance about it. It's too weighty. If the pointy end were smaller it would look more like what I'm used to seeing as hair sticks.

The deco looks more like clover than holly. You could keep it around to wear for St. Patrick's day.

earthybee
June 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM
I think it looks beautiful on you! The only thing that matters is what you think. :flower: If it's not for you I say let it go. If it grows on you keep it.
Just know either way I'm here and would take it back or trade you something that would work better for you. :grouphug:

Sterlyn
June 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM
earthybee, thank you so much for the offer :flower:. I am going to hang on to it for a while. I really like the look of the stick, it's gorgeous, it just doesn't have the wow factor in my hair, but I think I'm ok with that. And as DarleneH said I can keep it for St. Patricks day.

I probably will not buy any more holly sticks as I had planned and I still think this was a good learning experience. Better to find out maybe holly isn't fab for me before I ask for a custom one from TT. From here on out I will just stay with the darker woods.

Besides, it won't hurt me to wear one hair toy once in a while that isn't some vibrant shocking color :p

Theobroma
June 2nd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Sterlyn, your hair is stunning and I have some serious silver envy right now. :thud:

About the stick, I agree with those who've said that there's a bit of a clash between the warm tone of the holly and the cooler silver of your hair. My first thought was something along the lines of "not bad, but there are other woods that would look more striking". (I bet ebony would be a knockout!) I also agree, though, that wearing it with a green top might change the situation completely.

Bottom line: lovely stick, you're definitely not making a mistake if you hold onto it, but perhaps not the ideal choice of wood for future custom orders. :)