PDA

View Full Version : "Improved" my cheap paddle brush

eternallyverdan
May 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I mentioned this in some other thread, but I have a really useful tip and I thought some of you might appreciate it.

You know the cheap, ball-tipped paddle brushes that aren't great for your hair but detangle so beautifully? The brand I usually see around is Conair, but they're all pretty interchangeable:

http://i.imgur.com/yHv0xOp.jpg

I've tried all of the nicer, pricier detangling options that are so well-loved on LHC, and I uniformly hated all of them, from the wide-toothed combs to the Denmans and the BBBs and the Tangle Teezers. When I was in a hurry or wanted my hair to look and feel nice I would return to my beloved Conair, only to feel the stupid little ball tips snagging and pulling at my hair.

After I'd used it for a couple months, I noticed that some of the little plastic balls on the end of each bristle were coming off, and I was surprised to see that the bristles underneath had smooth, well-rounded tips that looked a lot like the one on my largely-unused Denman. Imagine my amazement when I found that the little bundles of doom could be pulled off with my fingernails and just a little bit of finagling! I promptly removed them all, and have been using that same slightly manky Conair brush for the past 5 years or so.

http://i.imgur.com/D5oj9mf.jpg

It's perfect for me! The bristles are set much wider than the Denman, so I can actually get it through my hair, and they're stiffer than the ones on the Tangle Teezer, which are so soft that I have to split my hair into about 8 sections to detangle-- but my hair is so fine and tangle-prone that the act of reuniting all the sections promptly returned it to its rat-nesty state.

I'd highly recommend giving this a try, especially if you loved your ball-tipped brush but gave it up because you felt it was causing too much damage. I've done this to a couple brushes, and have found that the process of removing the tips is a little easier if the brush has been used for a while-- apparently all the hair getting stuck in the seams tends to loosen them a little, who'da thunk? :p

(I hope you all appreciate the Herculean effort it took to write this entire post without making a single ball innuendo)

ARG
May 29th, 2014, 03:46 PM
That's really cool! I wonder if they're held on with glue, maybe some pure acetone would help loosen them up?

I congratulate you on your successful avoidance of innuendos.