PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner problem...

Dessi
May 28th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Hello ladies. I got a problem with my conditioner.. I wash my hair two times a week (wednesday and saturday). On wednesday I use castor oil on my scalp before shower. I use shampoo on scalp and my scalp is clear, but the conditioner I use on my lengths makes my hair looks horrible and it feels like wax. When I don't use castor oil and just use S&C my hair is better but still feels kinda greasy. I thought that happened because I need to clarify. Well I used SLS shampoo and my normal conditioner. My hair was really nice. Yesterday I used castor oil and got back to my normal shampoo. Now my hair feels like wax again and I had to wash the lengths with shampoo cuz I can't stand it. What is the reason for that? Maybe I need another conditioner? Or maybe it's the combination of conditioner+castor oil that makes my hair looks like that? (even though I use castor oil on my scalp only). Any suggestions? I ordered a nicer, organic conditioner and It should be here today. I hope my hair will be happier with it. (By the way - sorry, english is not my first language).

Marbid
May 28th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Does your conditioner have cones? This happened to me.. Turns out it was silicone build up from water insoluble silicones.. Sls free shampoo does not get rid of it.. sls shampo gets rid of it... I would suggest you change conditioner to a conditioner with water soluble cones... Or cone free if you want to go sls free easier... Otherwise you will end up with build up from cones that need other chemicals to get rid of them and you will have a hard time doing cwc...

In my experience anyways.

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I second what Marbid says. It sounds like your conditioner may contain cones.

Dessi
May 28th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Well.. I don't see them written anywhere but maybe there are some.. I'll change the conditioner with an organic one and hope that would help. Thank You.

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2014, 10:33 PM
What's the name of the conditioner you're using? I don't mind looking up the ingredients if you want a second opinion :)

ErinLeigh
May 28th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Castor oil is very thick and hard to wash out. Maybe it is running down the length when rinsing and washing and the mix with the conditioner just isn't a good fit.
Have you tried diluting the castor oil with another thinner oil to see if that helps? Or try another conditioner and see if is a better match with the castor oiled hair?

What is the brand or the ingredients of you conditioner?

Dessi
May 29th, 2014, 03:26 AM
What's the name of the conditioner you're using? I don't mind looking up the ingredients if you want a second opinion :)

I posted a thread a while ago. Here are the ingredients: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122257

Castor oil is very thick and hard to wash out. Maybe it is running down the length when rinsing and washing and the mix with the conditioner just isn't a good fit.
Have you tried diluting the castor oil with another thinner oil to see if that helps? Or try another conditioner and see if is a better match with the castor oiled hair?

What is the brand or the ingredients of you conditioner?
Yes, I think the problem is in the mix of conditioner and castor oil. I'm changing my conditioner and if it doesn't work I'll try mixing the castor oil with coconut oil.
P.s: my new conditioner just arrived. I'll write the ingridients of it here so You could tell me what you think.
Aqua
Aloe vera
jojoba oil
rosemary
nettle
sunflower wax
wheatgerm oil
beetroot extract

Dessi
May 31st, 2014, 01:13 PM
I just used my new conditioner! (without using castor oil before washing) and I'm really really happy with my hair! I hope the result will be just as good if I have used castor oil before.
Pics just because I'm super happy:
http://prikachi.com/images/217/7364217j.png
http://prikachi.com/images/218/7364218s.png
http://prikachi.com/images/217/7364217j.png
http://prikachi.com/images/218/7364218s.png

HairFaerie
May 31st, 2014, 07:55 PM
In my opinion, I would mix the castor oil with another oil (jojoba might be a good choice) and use that on the scalp only. I wouldn't put castor oil on the length. Use a lighter oil on the length. I would have to say that the castor oil on your length might be the culprit...it's very heavy and almost "gummy". Also, using a shampoo with SLS isn't necessarily going to clarify your hair. Get a shampoo specifically marked clarifying.

Beautiful hair, by the way! :)

Dessi
May 31st, 2014, 11:42 PM
In my opinion, I would mix the castor oil with another oil (jojoba might be a good choice) and use that on the scalp only. I wouldn't put castor oil on the length. Use a lighter oil on the length. I would have to say that the castor oil on your length might be the culprit...it's very heavy and almost "gummy". Also, using a shampoo with SLS isn't necessarily going to clarify your hair. Get a shampoo specifically marked clarifying.

Beautiful hair, by the way! :)

Thank you for you opinion and for the compliment! Well, I use castor oil on scalp only but while I'm rinsing it out it goes on the lengths.. For now I'm happy with that new conditioner, we'll see how it goes. And yeah, I'll consider getting a clarying shampoo.

HairFaerie
June 1st, 2014, 08:59 AM
I don't like using straight castor oil but I have found that mixing it with jojoba and grapeseed oil cuts it enough to not be thick and gummy. Maybe try that and see if it does better for you. Jojoba and grapeseed oils are also excellent for your hair and scalp and castor oil is great for growth. It might be worth a shot! :)

Dessi
June 4th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I just used 1:1 Castor oil and Coconut oil on my scalp only and than washed my scalp with shampoo and my hair with my new conditioner. My hair looks the same as it would look with tha previous conditioner - horrible. So the problem is not in the conditioner - the combination between oil and conditioner is just not good. So I have only two choices - to wash my whole hair with shampoo after using oil or not using oil at all. Not sure what to do. (My scalp really loves Castor oil, but I don't think it would be good to use shampoo on the lengths of my hair everytime I've used oil..)