PDA

View Full Version : First Hair Cut

Alpaca
May 28th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hi, I am considering getting my first hair cut soon. I am almost 16, and it goes past my butt. I have never even trimmed it. I really like it at the length that its at, but i think that my ideal length would be about ending just where my tailbone does so i dont sit on it anymore. Right now it is somewhere in my mid thigh area. This wouldn't be a huge differences, though, so would it be worth what ever effects might come of a first hair cut? What are those affects? Does anyone else remember their first haircut, and if anything about their hair changed afterwards? So far I have had very little trouble with split ends with having never trimmed my hair; would that change if i cut my hair? Also, what are suggested shapes for the bottom? Anything else I should know? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!
Rachael

Sharysa
May 28th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Oh wow, thigh-length at sixteen? I only started growing my hair at about 22, and it's hip-length straight but just past waist wavy by now. Congratulations for not cutting it AND not having split ends!

As for suggested hair shapes, that depends a lot on your hair type and styling preference. If your hair's straight, go for whatever you want! Wavy and curly hair doesn't do well with straight hemlines, so most wavy/curly-haired people do V-shaped or U-shaped hems.

If your hair's thick and you like braids and buns, straight hems might not do very well; for braids, there's going to be either a paint-brush tassel at the end, or one section will end up way shorter than the other two. With buns on thick hair, straight-across hems mean there's going to be lots of ends poking out and they'll be hard to tuck in.

Wildcat Diva
May 28th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Don't cut it yet! We need a picture of this beautiful hair! At least show it off a bit around here; what a neat thing. Amazing.

CurlMonster
May 29th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Wow, that is so cool. :) I agree you should post some pics before you cut it!
I would recommend doing it yourself, that way you are not at the mercy of anybody else. There are a lot of horror stories on here about scissor-happy hairdressers! And then you don't have to take it all off at once in case you change your mind - you could take off an inch a day until you like it, or something along those lines! :)

Ishje
May 29th, 2014, 02:59 AM
I agree about the pics!

I would suggest that you don't cut a lot right away. Just cut about 8 inch. If you are not happy with it you can cut more, or let it grow again.
A haircut is done very quickly, but growing it back is a long process.

Schneckschjen
May 29th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Oh yes pics pleas :) - never cutting hair wow.

YvetteVarie
May 29th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I agree with CurlMonster. Self trimming might be better so you don't have to deal with scissors happy stylists who may end up butchering your hair

quiltlady
May 29th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I agree, Please do post pictures before cutting.

Madora
May 29th, 2014, 07:21 AM
A straight across, blunt cut trim would be the best for your hair. Hair of one length is easier to style. Speaking from experience of many years, you can effectively style blunt cuts in braids or buns with ease. It is also easier to S and D one length hair than hair that is various lengths.

I'd really, really suggest you try Feye's self trim instead of going to a salon to have your length cut. If you do go to a salon, be sure you SHOW the hair cutter exactly what amount you want taken off..and HOW you want it taken off. Too many scissor happy people out there.

The major benefit of a good cut is that your ends look lovely. Good luck!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 29th, 2014, 11:14 AM
That is seriously impressive you're 16 and have never had a hair cut! I agree, pictures would be awesome! :)

Wildcat Diva
May 29th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Im glad I'm not the only one who wants to see, I was worried I sounded creepy. Not a creeper, I promise!

Weewah
May 29th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I really want to see too!

As far as your question about the effects of getting a hair cut, there aren't any really, but using dull scissors or razor cutting will cause splits. The most optimal way to cut your hair to keep it in the best condition possible is to use sharp hair scissors and cut perpendicular to the hair strands while dry.

It's easier to cut your hair properly if you just do it yourself. A hairdresser will cut it wet and is most definitely not used to long hair, they'll want to give you a trendy cut that needs to be maintained.

Wildcat Diva
May 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM
My barber lady cut my hair dry and did just as I asked.

Alpaca
May 29th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Hi, thank you so much for all of the help and info. I am not sure that I will cut it yet, just considering. I will definitely post some pictures very soon! Thanks!

IGIT
May 30th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Where the pics at?:couch:

Alpaca
May 30th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Hi thanks! Where do u get sharp hair scissors? Would new ones for the store be sharp enough?

Alpaca
May 30th, 2014, 12:56 PM
And the pics are coming! :)

Sharysa
May 30th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Just make sure they're specific hair-cutting scissors, and be prepared to shell out at least 20-50$ for them. However, they WILL be worth it in the long run, especially if you just want to maintain your own hairstyle and trim off your split ends without a stylist.

Wildcat Diva
May 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Please make sure to get special hair cutting scissors! At least from a Sally's or something!

Beatnik Guy
May 30th, 2014, 04:52 PM
And the pics are coming! :)

:popcorn:

:)

memeow
May 31st, 2014, 07:18 AM
Huh, should I not be using the Goody's scissors I got for $10? They are intended for hair cutting and seem quite sharp.

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Huh, should I not be using the Goody's scissors I got for $10? They are intended for hair cutting and seem quite sharp.

If their intended use is haircutting, I'm sure you'll be fine.

eadwine
May 31st, 2014, 08:45 AM
Exactly. Mine came from Hema (chain here) and were just under $11. Works like a peach, but ONLY use it on your hair, never on anything else.

cat11
May 31st, 2014, 08:52 AM
Wow! Looking forward to seeing your hair.

As for effects of a first cut, there aren't any, only I noticed that after any haircut my hair will sort of frizz up and get "shocked" by it for a day or two. But then that goes away and the only side effects are very neat, soft ends.

Personally I would recommend a blunt hemline, I like the way it looks and it is easier to style and measure consistently I think. You should look up photos on google images or something of each hemline though, straight (or blunt,) V shaped, U shaped, fairy tail ends (which is pretty much V with thinning taper) and then judge for yourself which you like because it's largely personal preference.

Selkie-
May 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM
Can't wait to see pictures! :)

StellaKatherine
May 31st, 2014, 09:41 AM
Am i the only who want to scream " Don't cut , don't cut ?!" :D

Alpaca
May 31st, 2014, 11:37 AM
I can't figure out how to post a pic from a file..........

Beatnik Guy
May 31st, 2014, 11:43 AM
No, you're not. :)

Weewah
May 31st, 2014, 11:54 AM
I can't figure out how to post a pic from a file..........

Use a picture hosting service like tinypic.com then copy the "IMG code for forums and message boards" it gives you, and paste it into your post. :cool:

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2014, 12:07 PM
I think some of us are waiting to see the pix, which we will then use as hard evidence to justify said screaming.

GoddesJourney
May 31st, 2014, 02:04 PM
Funny thing that happens when you cut long hair...you can remove SEVERAL INCHES and people will suddenly comment on how LONG your hair is, as if they never noticed before when it was way longer! Blows my mind! Maybe the fresh hemline gets their attention so they finally see what's been in front of their eyes all this time?

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM
I think some of us are waiting to see the pix, which we will then use as hard evidence to justify said screaming.

Exactly this.

Katyusha
May 31st, 2014, 05:02 PM
I found myself returning over and over to this thread just to see the pic :)

Alpaca
May 31st, 2014, 05:09 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/nehiqt.jpg
OK here finally is the pic! Sorry its not the back of my head, I just figured I should go ahead and post this instead of waiting any longer for someone to take a pic for me of the back of my head. Thanks for all the advice! I am not sure yet that I'm going to cut it, i will continue to think it over now that I have more information.

Alpaca
May 31st, 2014, 05:10 PM
wow, the picture is huge! sorry about that! eek

GreenFairy
May 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM
!!! So beautiful! IMHO I wouldn't touch it. People would pay $$$$$ to have that head of hair.

lapushka
May 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Don't worry, the picture is fine. That is some amazing hair. Another vote for not cutting it!

lazuliblue
May 31st, 2014, 05:20 PM
Gorgeous hair :) If you do decide to get it cut or trimmed, perhaps just take an inch or so off first, so you can see how it feels. You can always take more off later (not that I think it needs cutting, your hair is beautiful!)

Rio040113
May 31st, 2014, 05:21 PM
Gorgeous hair :) If you do decide to get it cut or trimmed, perhaps just take an inch or so off first, so you can see how it feels. You can always take more off later (not that I think it needs cutting, your hair is beautiful!)

This ^ exactly :)

Your hair is stunning OP!

Beatnik Guy
May 31st, 2014, 05:26 PM
Your hair is magnificent! :thudpile:

minxe
May 31st, 2014, 05:31 PM

:agape:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 31st, 2014, 05:37 PM
Oh your hair is absolutely STUNNING! If you are not sure that you want to cut it, then please don't!

And we would all LOVE more pictures when you get the chance! :)

MeAndTheMaz
May 31st, 2014, 05:42 PM
Late to the thread here, but I'll just have to add to the chorus of Wowza! Don't cut it!

mandalee73
May 31st, 2014, 06:23 PM
oh wow...16 years growth, never been cut...magnificent...:agape:
I vote dont cut, if you are determined to cut go slowly and trim only teeny tiny amounts.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2014, 06:28 PM
I hope you don't cut it.

It's
just
WOW

Super beautiful and rare.

spidermom
May 31st, 2014, 06:29 PM
You can turn your back to a mirror and aim the camera at your reflection (hands holding camera above your head, pointing slightly downward).

CurlMonster
May 31st, 2014, 06:29 PM
It is really stunning! I love the colour and texture. :flower:

CurlyCap
May 31st, 2014, 06:57 PM
Beautiful hair!

I saw look around on the internet to try to figure out EXACTLY what you want if you cut your hair. Do you want it shorter or for it have a different shape? Would you be happy with layers in the front or do you want layers over your whole head? Think about it, look at all the different options, and take printed pictures of your desired cut to a hair dresser. Ask if they can replicate that look with your hair. Tell them you'd rather not cut than get something "almost" and be willing to pay them just for their time in the consultation. It's very annoying to have someone take up 30 minutes of a stylist's time and then not pay a dime.

I think people get into problems because they 1)Don't know what they want or 2) Aren't really committed to a change.

If you truly want shorter hair or to play around with your look, go for it! It's your hair and you should enjoy it.

If you are just bored and want do be able to do new things with your hair, then come play around LHC and learn some new hairstyles! :D

GoddesJourney
May 31st, 2014, 07:54 PM
No reason to change your hair in any way. It is beautiful as is and appears to be very healthy.

TrapperCreekD
May 31st, 2014, 07:54 PM
:agape::thudpile: Simply stunning!

Sharysa
May 31st, 2014, 07:57 PM
Sweet lord, your hair is gorgeous! Seconding that you should look at all the different hair shapes and get pictures of them (the most common ones are straight across, u-shaped, and v-shaped).

I also strongly recommend a v-shape or u-shape if your hair is naturally wavy/curly, or you like wearing it that way. A straight-across hemline looked REALLY heavy and awkward on my wavy hair.

ravenheather
May 31st, 2014, 08:13 PM
It's your hair, so you should do what you want. But if you do cut, I might cry. Take your time and be sure. Your hair is amazing just as it is.

Quixii
May 31st, 2014, 08:22 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 31st, 2014, 08:30 PM
:crush: Your hair is so pretty! I love the color! That's so special to have hair that's never been cut at 16 years.

Alpaca
May 31st, 2014, 09:04 PM
here is another picture, this time of the back. I just feel like the ends might look thin...
http://i60.tinypic.com/t9i1yb.jpg

neko_kawaii
May 31st, 2014, 09:12 PM
Lovely fairytail ends!

EdG
May 31st, 2014, 09:16 PM
You have gorgeous hair. :thudpile:

There are quite a number of LHC members with hair long enough to sit on. That length is not a problem in practice. You can wear your hair up or drape it out of the way when you sit down.
Ed

Stormynights
May 31st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Very few can say at 16 that they never had a haircut. Wouldn't it be nice to say that at 21?

54chevy
May 31st, 2014, 10:22 PM
Agree with everyone above. Pictures first, and also self trim it.

54chevy
May 31st, 2014, 10:29 PM
sorry^^ Posted and then noticed there are more pages. Do what you want, but it looks lovely, and there really is bragging rights to saying you have never gotten your hair cut, as others have mentioned.

MungoMania
June 1st, 2014, 01:21 AM
Gorgeous hair and so healthy too. I can't even imagine not trimming for 16 years. You amaze me! I like your fairy tale ends. They're almost knee length. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll be happy with it.

eadwine
June 1st, 2014, 02:40 AM
Wow.. you have gorgeous hair. I would invoke the four week rule here ;) Make sure this is really what you want.

You have the hair of elves... truly!

martyna_22
June 1st, 2014, 02:48 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! If you really want to get it cut, give yourself the two week rule - if you still want it as much, then do it. But IMHO your hair is gorgeous as it is. :)

Weewah
June 1st, 2014, 03:55 AM
Your hair is amazing! Don't worry about your ends looking too thin. You have perfect naturally tapered fairytale ends. It doesn't look scraggly at all. Your hair clumps into tapered waves naturally and beautifully.

StellaKatherine
June 1st, 2014, 04:57 AM
Oh my god! I know many allready said this, but.. OH MY GOD!!! The colour, the wave, the lenght! It is perfection! Such an amazingly stunning hair you have there! Begging you not to cut it!!!! If you feel bored, there are tons of amazing youtube tutorials for long hair. Start learning them and you will see the change in your looks without needing to cut it shorter!

Beatnik Guy
June 1st, 2014, 05:12 AM
here is another picture, this time of the back. I just feel like the ends might look thin...
http://i60.tinypic.com/t9i1yb.jpg

It's stunning. :bigeyes:
Your ends are just fine. :D

fiðrildi
June 1st, 2014, 05:16 AM
Agree with eadwine, you have the hair of elves! If you decide to trim, if possible, do it yourself little by little, I wouldn't trust anybody but myself if my hair was that long! There are video tutorials you can watch on youtube, to learn how to self-trim. Aaah, but your hair is an inspiration, and you don't need a trim, your fairytale ends are so rare and beautiful! Please don't cut it! Think that it took you 16 years to get your hair like that... so think about your choice very carefully!

Nymphea
June 1st, 2014, 06:19 AM
Alpaca, your hair is amazing, it is beautiful!!!

I'm literally without words. Your ends are in perfect shape I really can't see any damage or enormous thinness.

Try to think about why you really want to cut. If it is for the ends, as I can see it, there is absolutely no need for cutting - they are really fine. If it is for the problem of sitting on the hair, just try some new interesting updos or move it from the chair while sitting - both solutions are way better than cutting. If it is because you'd like the change - well, it's your hair and you should try everything that you really want, but... I'd recommend trimming step by step, inch by inch, until you feel perfectly comfortable with the length. Especially in the situation where you had long hair all your life and maybe can't recall so clearly how it felt when it was shorter (personally I've been at shoulder length and at classic length only once in my life and I have very foggy impressions of how it felt).

Also, as other people already mentioned, please try self-trimming methods. Save yourself from the unnecessary salon trauma (of course, it might not happen to you, but there are so many bad experiences out there...).

Good luck, I vote for keeping the length! :)

Selkie-
June 1st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Stunning hair!

:applause:queen::thudpile:

Beatnik Guy
June 1st, 2014, 07:00 AM
I am almost 16, and it goes past my butt. I have never even trimmed it. I really like it at the length that its at, but i think that my ideal length would be about ending just where my tailbone does so i dont sit on it anymore. Right now it is somewhere in my mid thigh area.
Rachael

Ooops, I've overlooked to say : Welcome to LHC, Rachael. I think you'll fit in here just fine. :D

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
I love your hair! I'm in love with the color as well as the length. Glad you are here and looking forward to seeing what you decide.

Islandgrrl
June 1st, 2014, 09:02 AM
Your hair is very beautiful just the way it is. It doesn't look like its damaged at all, and the ends don't look thin, they just look the way uncut hair looks. Of course it's your decision about whether or not to cut, but were your hair on my head, I'd just let it be. :)

Feathered
June 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM
Oh my! You have beautiful hair! It's like something out of a movie. I'm with everyone else it seems in that I hope you don't cut it. After all, it's NEVER been cut! Wow. Of course, I am just another admirer and it's your hair and you have to live with it. If you do decide to cut (NO!), like everyone else suggested, please only microtrims and very slowly. Thanks for the pics. :) I hope you keep us posted on what you do with it.

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM

No, you're not. :)

Is it time for the aforementioned screaming yet?

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 11:28 AM
Hi Alpaca,

Personally, I think it depends on WHY you are wanting to cut your hair. If you feel the length is cumbersome logistically (you mentioned sitting on it, for example) and truly feel a bit shorter, at tailbone length (TBL), would be much more practical, I say go for it. I know this is not the popular opinion around here, but it’s your hair and if it’s getting annoying then you should do what makes you happy. Also, keep in mind that this is a long hair forum so no one here is going to advise you to lose length when so many others are trying to achieve it. Generally, in life, it’s always a good idea to carefully assess who you are asking advice from, and taking the advice for what it actually is, an opinion and nothing more.

I used to have TBL years ago and because my hair is thick, it was so heavy and would take hours to dry. I wasn’t able to wear it down anymore; something I enjoyed very much because it would get caught in everything. And at the time, I was having a baby, and I was not about to prioritize fussing with my hair over caring for my newborn. For me, personally, that was a good decision then. I ended up cutting it to somewhere around my shoulders. I did find that recently, I let my hair grow out to mid back length due to laziness, and I figured what the heck. So now, waist length with long layers, is a good length for me. It makes my hair enjoyable to me as opposed to it feeling like work like it did back then.

In your shoes, I would take my time to research stylists in your area and ensure they will listen to you and only take off whatever you give them permission to cut. You are the customer and they are being paid to please you. Your hair texture will not change if you get a bit cut off and it will always grow back, just slowly like it did before. The cut is not going to make you get split ends unless they don’t know what they are doing and use blunt instruments, but again, it’s up to you to do your homework. Going to a stylist can be a fun experience because you are pampering yourself and people are waiting on you, but you just have to make sure you go to someone who will listen to you and not try to pressure you to do what they think.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Marika
June 1st, 2014, 11:28 AM
Love your hair! :crush:

Being a nosy product junkie, would you mind sharing which shampoo/conditioner you use or your haircare routine? :flower:

Alpaca
June 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all of the support and compliments! I will definitely follow the 2 week rule, probably more, before I do cut it, if I do. I think I'll take your advice on cutting it myself, too. I'll keep you updated!!! And post any more question i have. Also, Marika, I use VO5 shampoo and conditioner and soak it in coconut oil , especially the ends, every once in a while, still experimenting with how often. I wash it at least once a week, or more, dry it a bit with an old tshirt, then braid it to dry the rest of the way which takes forever. :)

Alpaca
June 1st, 2014, 06:57 PM
Right now I'm not feeling like cutting it, but tomorrow i might, it just keeps changing! So Ill definitely wait a bit longer

martyna_22
June 2nd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Right now I'm not feeling like cutting it, but tomorrow i might, it just keeps changing! So Ill definitely wait a bit longer

Once you find a proper routine for your gorgeous hair, you will probably want to stick to the length as well :) A quick question for you, though, how do you usually wear it?

Alpaca
June 2nd, 2014, 12:56 PM
I usually wear it in a braid over my shoulder, or in a low chignon, or two. Sometimes i do a sort of high bun (the only type that doesn't give me a headache) or wrap it around my head in twists or braids. And then sometimes a wild card hair style that i make up. I'm not wearing it down as much as I wish i was, it just feels like such a commitment for that day, but I keep trying to push myself to.

Lazy Loop
June 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Don't cut! You are so lucky!! Beautiful hair.

Quasiquixotic
June 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
You have beautiful hair! You don't need to cut it, but if you want a fuller hem line than I'd trim it up a few inches and maintain at that length until your hair seems thinker.

I'm not really one for fairy tail ends, but yours are beautiful.

Angelica
June 3rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
Hair that I could only dream about. I vote for not cutting it. Trim it a little if you want, but personally I wouldn't trust any hairdresser!

LMB
June 3rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
I agree with all of the above posters, your hair is beautiful!

I can see where you are coming from with the ends being thin though - Not that they are thin, but in my experience, a lot of people (who aren't used to seeing LONG hair) are used to seeing blunt lines and thinking that is 'healthy' so when they see wavy fairy tale ends they talk about it looking 'scraggly, thin' etc and how it would look thicker with a blunt cut but I think that they look beautiful, although I know that is a personal preference.

Alpaca
June 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much!

Alpaca
June 3rd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Is it possible to go back to my natural ends once I've trimmed them? ever? and would I have to keep trimming?

florenonite
June 4th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Is it possible to go back to my natural ends once I've trimmed them? ever? and would I have to keep trimming?

You could definitely get the natural, untapered ends back (and, no, you won't need to trim ever again if you don't want to). How long it takes depends on your hair, but consider it this way: You have X amount of hairs on your head; redheads usually have around 80 0000. Each of them lives for Y years; let's say 5. You don't go bald every 5 years, because each hair starts and ends that growth cycle at a different time. When each of those 80 000 hairs have fallen out and regrown, none of the hairs that you trimmed will be on your head anymore.

I'm going to go against the grain here and also say that if you do decide to cut, I'd recommend going to a hairdresser. For one thing, it's fun (especially the head massage when they wash your hair!), and I think it's worth experiencing it once before swearing off it entirely. For another, you've never had your hair cut before, and if you decide to self-trim this time out of fears of the hairdresser, then you'll be building something you've never actually experienced into some big bad enemy. Admittedly, I'm biased, because I love getting my hair cut, and I've never - not once - gotten a haircut I didn't explicitly ask for. Equally, though, the people who are telling you to self-trim because they had a bad experience are biased, too :p

inanna
June 4th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Personally, I think it depends on WHY you are wanting to cut your hair. If you feel the length is cumbersome logistically (you mentioned sitting on it, for example) and truly feel a bit shorter, at tailbone length (TBL), would be much more practical, I say go for it. I know this is not the popular opinion around here, but it’s your hair and if it’s getting annoying then you should do what makes you happy. Also, keep in mind that this is a long hair forum so no one here is going to advise you to lose length when so many others are trying to achieve it. Generally, in life, it’s always a good idea to carefully assess who you are asking advice from, and taking the advice for what it actually is, an opinion and nothing more.

I'm seconding this! We might all be dying of hair envy and urging you not to cut it, but your hair should be a joy for you, not for anyone else. The two-week rule is a good idea, but if you want to cut it, the worst that can happen is that you have to wait a while for it to grow back out.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 4th, 2014, 05:42 AM
First off, your hair is awesome..

If i had your hair, i would trim it back to somewhere between TBL and classic. But this is because i dislike fairytale ends on myself; i always go for thickest hemline possible. This is just my own opinion and taste though.

door72067
June 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM
so beautiful

Youngjae
June 4th, 2014, 06:08 AM
I can feel the hair jealousy through my screen! I vote not cut because your hair is simply gorgeous however I would remind you that this is the LHC and we are extremely biased towards not cutting hair. Do what you think is right.

Teazel
June 4th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Hello, hair twin! :waving: How beautiful your hair is, and how special. People have often asked me if I've ever cut my hair, and I laugh and say of course I have; but you could actually say, "Why, no. No I haven't." :lol:

Your ends look fine to me, and that's speaking as someone who prefers a blunt hemline. (I have fairytale ends myself mind you, but my hair is always up.) It's pretty unusual to not be plagued with split ends, that would be the thing that would keep me away from the scissors I think, if I were in your shoes.

Miss_Green
June 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Oh my goodness, so beautiful! :agree:

Alpaca
June 4th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Hi Teazel! do you think that a cut could make me start getting split ends?

Teazel
June 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Teazel! do you think that a cut could make me start getting split ends?

Well, I don't know for sure, and a quick google has been unhelpful, but it seems logical that a cut hair would be more likely to split than a tapered one, because the structure of the cut hair has been compromised. So that's something I would take into consideration. But, you know, depending on where your terminal length is and how long you want to grow, I suppose you'll have to cut sooner or later. It's up to you.... :hmm:

Alpaca
June 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM
thanks! Ya thats definatly something to consider

ravenheather
June 5th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Well, I don't know for sure, and a quick google has been unhelpful, but it seems logical that a cut hair would be more likely to split than a tapered one, because the structure of the cut hair has been compromised. So that's something I would take into consideration. But, you know, depending on where your terminal length is and how long you want to grow, I suppose you'll have to cut sooner or later. It's up to you.... :hmm:

I have often thought this. It seems logical that an uncut hair would be stronger and less likely to split that a cut one.

Othala
June 5th, 2014, 10:13 AM
So beautiful. Please...I am begging you....don't destroy it.....OK, I respect whatever choice you make.....but pleeeeease....no cutting off the unique and inspirational hair.

Sharysa
June 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I don't know, splits depend heavily on hair type. I've been taking great care of my indestructible coarse hair, but since it's wavy I haven't seen any decrease in the amount of split ends I get. And my splits aren't anywhere near my hemline either.

eadwine
June 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Please.. I understand the head massage thing at the salon, but I can just see all the beautiful hair in the little sink thing, and then the head shampoo'ed and all piled on top to get it washed.

IF you go to a salon, please go to one with experience in very long hair, because usually hairdressers aren't that sweet with your hair when detangling, and after having had a piled on wash... *shudder*

JadedByEntropy
June 6th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I'm going to say be careful. I'm sure you've encountered the scissor happy friends, but don't let anyone pressure you into cutting or not.:draw: Just like any other part of you, its your business. If it makes others uncomfortable with their bodies, that's their problem. Don't chop just because you outshine them. :king:
I grew up sitting on my hair and have had several major cuts, even to pixie, and am getting close to sitting on it again.[can't wait] so its not a forever thing. Hair grows!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I just wanted to say that many hairdressers don't know how to handle long hair; I went to one at waist length and they got it so tangled while washing it that they said they would have to cut it all off. I said that no, over my dead body. So I then sat there for nearly 2 hours while they tugged and pulled and broke it while untangling it. This was pre-LHC days for me, but it pretty much put me off hairdressers for life. However there are hairdressers who specialise in long hair and I'm sure it would be a real treat to go to one or those.....

spidermom
June 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Wow - amazing. But I can imagine that after 16 years of long hair, you might be ready for a change. Do be careful about salons, though. It can take quite a bit of observation and word of mouth to find someone who won't abuse your hair while combing it out or cut it too short. I've gone in with my hair washed, conditioned, and combed out. The stylist never seems to mind. Less work for her. There are stylists out there who will totally ignore what you tell them and cut your hair the way they like to cut it, feeling sure that you will love it. My stylist does what I ask; that's the kind you need.

Or as said - cut it yourself. But your hair looks really pretty, even with the thin ends. It's natural to have ends like that.

I don't think that cut ends split more than tapered ends. Back when I only had the ends of my hair trimmed, I seldom found a split on one of those trimmed ends. I'd find them up in my length on hairs that were too short to have ever been trimmed.

Alpaca
June 6th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking i wont go to a salon because its just more than i want to risk. And jadedbyentropy, thanks for the advice its so hard to know whether i want my hair a certain way or am just being influenced, and my opinion changes every day, its confusing!

ravenheather
June 6th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking i wont go to a salon because its just more than i want to risk. And jadedbyentropy, thanks for the advice its so hard to know whether i want my hair a certain way or am just being influenced, and my opinion changes every day, its confusing!

If your opinion keeps changing, maybe you are not ready yet. Just wait until you know for sure which decision is right for you.

Beborani
June 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Alpaca, at 16 I cut my hair in a big chop (for me) from classic or so to just below shoulder but it was something I longed for and didnt regret even though I did not get the hair I thought it would turn into--bit of magical thinking going on there. If you are not sure, I would suggest you wait until you find a length and style you really really want.

Sharysa
June 6th, 2014, 11:11 PM
At the same time, don't feel bad for doing something you want and then realizing it doesn't work on you or it takes a LOT of maintaining. You can't predict everything, especially with hair.

It happens to 80% of teen girls.

MungoMania
June 7th, 2014, 01:01 AM
If your opinion keeps changing, maybe you are not ready yet. Just wait until you know for sure which decision is right for you.

I completely agree. At 16 I saved myself from doing a huge chop which would've left my hair pixie length. I got a wig and absolutely hated the way I looked with super short hair. I was so glad I didn't cut.

If you're bored why not try a faux bob like so many celebs do? You're at an age where experimentation is fun. Just don't let it be something you'll regret.

florenonite
June 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM
At the same time, don't feel bad for doing something you want and then realizing it doesn't work on you or it takes a LOT of maintaining. You can't predict everything, especially with hair.

It happens to 80% of teen girls.

Only 80%? :lol:

littlestarface
October 21st, 2016, 07:14 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/nehiqt.jpg
OK here finally is the pic! Sorry its not the back of my head, I just figured I should go ahead and post this instead of waiting any longer for someone to take a pic for me of the back of my head. Thanks for all the advice! I am not sure yet that I'm going to cut it, i will continue to think it over now that I have more information.

I wonder what ever happened to her, I hope she never cut it!!!!!! Such beautiful hair!!!! *dies*

Moonfall
October 22nd, 2016, 03:34 AM
Omg your hair looks amazing!!!