PDA

View Full Version : Hmm. Opinions on this article?

emilia1992
May 28th, 2014, 09:34 AM
On 'how to grow hair long'. This article seems to be a mixture of sense and urban myth.

http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/hair/2014-05/how-to-grow-hair-long/

Of course, there is the typical 'you must cut hair to make it grow well' :rolleyes:

And I'm not sure. considering the young readership of the magazine, whether suggesting supplements in a cocktail is a good idea.

But what do you think? Is this article good overall? Or just a series of recommend-for-commercial-reasons?

goldenlady
May 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I think it's one of the better articles I've read. They've missed off a lot of advice but the advice they have given isn't terrible.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I actually agree with the dusting advise. Damaged hair doesn't grow. Personally, I get the best growth when I make sure to dust every once in a while. Plus it just looks better and im not in the mood to do the whole old lace thing, so trimming is necessary for me.

MINAKO
May 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
and im not in the mood to do the whole old lace thing, so trimming is necessary for me.

This made me laugh, but yeah trimming isn't a must for it to grow but sometine necessary to stop it from breaking faster than it grows.

spidermom
May 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Considering the audience it is targeted for, I think it's pretty good advice. I agree that it's probably not the best idea to suggest supplements to a teen audience. They're too apt to think "if some is good, more is better", and that can be dangerous as well as expensive.

florenonite
May 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM
On 'how to grow hair long'. This article seems to be a mixture of sense and urban myth.

http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/hair/2014-05/how-to-grow-hair-long/

Of course, there is the typical 'you must cut hair to make it grow well' :rolleyes:

And I'm not sure. considering the young readership of the magazine, whether suggesting supplements in a cocktail is a good idea.

But what do you think? Is this article good overall? Or just a series of recommend-for-commercial-reasons?

She didn't suggest supplements in a cocktail. She mentioned "a supplement cocktail", cocktail here being the meaning "a mixture of chemical substances", not the "alcoholic mixed drink". ETA: Not sure that that's necessarily better, but at least she wasn't suggesting mixing drugs and booze :lol:

As you said, there's some sensible advice, and some myth. And then there's this:

He recommends using a deep conditioner once every two weeks for blondes and once a month for brunettes.

1) Why do blondes need to deep condition twice as often as brunettes? If this were a magazine aimed at adults, I could maybe see the assumption being that blonde hair has been bleached and is more fragile, but then why not say "deep condition more often if your hair is colour-treated, especially bleached"?

2) What about redheads (and blonettes like myself)? :p

ErinLeigh
May 28th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I think its one of the better typical "grow you hair" articles. The supplement thing is always scary to advise but at least they did say see a Dr and most importantly explained why the 2 supplements work together. Any extra knowledge can be useful as there are a lot of teens (and adults) swallowing lots of Biotin out to grow hair.

All in all I give it a solid B+ :) At least there weren't silly myths in there. I would't expect them to delve beyond the basics, as the article would be considered to long...plus their target audience isn't usually going to be willing to change certain practices such as ironing... so it was nice to see them at least advise to turn the heat down. I was glad to see they covered moisture/protein deep conditioning and mentioned using the word 'Dusting."

Thanks for posting the link :)

florenonite ...Good point about the blond thing. They should have said color treated..unless natural blonds have special hair issues we don't know about :)

Kimberly
May 28th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Looks like an article by someone who wants to make sure everyone continues to pay for haircuts and lots of products, thus keeping his salon in business. Still, it's less mercenary than most of the stuff in that kind of magazine.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Looks like an article by someone who wants to make sure everyone continues to pay for haircuts and lots of products, thus keeping his salon in business. Still, it's less mercenary than most of the stuff in that kind of magazine.

Meh. I doubt teenage girls can really afford fancy deep conditioner nor do their parents want to buy it for them. I do agree with you on the hair cut and product bit- obvious plug much?

MINAKO
May 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Has anyone of you heard of a product called Hairvits? They are all over the place an Instagram and Facebook with some sort of viral advertisement that probably alot of people will fall for, while the actualy vitamins could actually be bought for a fraction of the price in the drugstore. I also feel that articles like the one mentioned always aid a certain hype about a product as well. Who know how much the editor got payed by certain people for their indefinite shoutout.

ETA: http://instagram.com/hairvits#
Many of the images are stolen and the growth rate they show is often just ridiculous. I couldn't help myself but to leave them a negative comment some time ago. :/

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I've seen Hairvits. Its such bull. No one's hair really grows THAT quickly.

MINAKO
May 29th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I've seen Hairvits. Its such bull. No one's hair really grows THAT quickly.

Yeah, like 4 inches and twice the circumference in a weeks time, lol. But many young people seem to fall for it.

HintOfMint
May 30th, 2014, 09:15 AM
It's one of the better mainstream articles I've read actually. Between eating well, taking care to not get too much cut off in the stylist's chair, and balancing moisture with protein, it's a solid article. Of course it's laced heavily with advertising for fancy products, but at least the main concepts are there. I'm not a fan of pushing supplements on teenagers, but then again, I'm not a fan of pushing supplements on adults either, especially since they are woefully under-regulated, and it can be dangerous to take vitamins at the levels advertised on the bottles.