PDA

View Full Version : Best Cut for Braiding?

Angel_Abby
May 28th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Im growing out an inverted bob. I'm between APL and BSL right now and the styling is very awkward. If I bun or braid, I get little wisps sticking out of the braid. Add humidity... and it looks like an awful fuzzy mess.

I have the 'chop it all off' urge, which deep down, I will regret.

So my hair is long enough to start cutting the layers out. Will this improve the braid and bun styling issues? If not, I prefer at least some longish layers to keep the triangle-hair phenomenom at bay.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Arashi
May 28th, 2014, 09:31 AM
In my experience, absolutely blunt and no layers is the best for braids.
Happy growing!

emilia1992
May 28th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Yes, agreed with Arashi. I used to have layers and little bits would stick out towards the end of the braid.

And as for the chop-it-all-off urge, resist. If you want long hair, you can do it- just hang on it there!

lapushka
May 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
You could microtrim. Trim your growth off monthly, so you'll get the layers out eventually. Just don't do anything rash.

hypersensitive
May 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Without a doubt, a blunt hemline and no layers are the perfect base for easy braiding.

Angel_Abby
May 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I have an appointment set for next Tuesday. I will just have her start cutting the layers out. I'm growing out the natural color as well, so an inch or so less of the colored ends would be a refreshing change too.

Thanks! I will work on getting the layers out, because I am in love with braiding!

Panth
May 28th, 2014, 11:46 AM
A blunt cut with no layers is best for braids. If you like blunter-ended tassles, have a straight hemline. If you like more tapered tassles, have a somewhat V- or U-shaped hemline. The triangle-head phenomenon often disappears with length, as your hair gets enough weight to make it grow downwards not outwards. Any layers are going to add to the wispy, messy braid look.

If I was you, I'd not do any big chop - that's pointless. I'd either maintain where you are for a while (i.e. cut all your growth off every month) or cut off half of my growth every month or so. It depends on how urgently you want to get rid of the wispy look, how urgently you want to get longer hair and whether you like the length you're at.

Angel_Abby
May 28th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks! My main goal right now is to grow out the inverted bob (back to BSL at least) then maintain that length while I grow out my dye and let my natural color emerge. I'm 33 and haven't seen my natural color since I was in highschool. I think its time. ;)

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I will definitely avoid a big chop and just have her trim my ends up every couple of months until the layers are out. I think I am just impatient.

Wosie
May 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I was wondering about this as well, actually... But more along the lines of "how much difference does the shape of the hemline make when one braids?". I guess the most optimal hemline for braiding is a straight across one, without a U- or V shape?
I also love braids, but I want a shallow U hemline... I hope this won't make it much harder to have a long braid without a long tassel. :hmm:

We seem to be in the same boat. ^_^ I'm also past APL (but far from BSL) and I'm slowly cutting off the pesky layers. How short are your shortest layers, by the way?

Angel_Abby
May 28th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I was wondering about this as well, actually... But more along the lines of "how much difference does the shape of the hemline make when one braids?". I guess the most optimal hemline for braiding is a straight across one, without a U- or V shape?
I also love braids, but I want a shallow U hemline... I hope this won't make it much harder to have a long braid without a long tassel. :hmm:

We seem to be in the same boat. ^_^ I'm also past APL (but far from BSL) and I'm slowly cutting off the pesky layers. How short are your shortest layers, by the way?

I've got a curtain effect going on at shoulder and again about two(ish) inches down- so at least there I think. My dye line is about 5 inches from my part, so its very unkempt looking no matter what I do, :( But I really want to stop dying. So I am going to try my best to not touch up the roots.

Aderyn
May 28th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Blunt hemlines make the most aesthetically pleasing braids, in my opinion.

As for little bits sticking out of the braid, I haven't had an issue with that with a U, V or fairy taled hemline. I think since the taper in the afore mentioned hemlines is much more gradual and "natural" than layers/thinned hair there is not so much braid shred. The only way those affect my braid is by having a more distinct taper towards the ends (which is actually kind of nice as it's easier to tuck the braid ends in a bun).

Layers/thinned hair are a definitely no-go for sleek, neat braids, though.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM
While you wait for your layers to grow out, maybe you could try some pomade or wax or something like that before you braid to help your layers stay and not pop out of the braid so bad. I am also growing out layers and love braids but get really bad braid shred. The other day I smoothed some raw cocoa butter through my hair before I braided it and it actually helped. I just used the cocoa butter because I already had some laying around that I use to make lotion, but I imagine some kind of pomade that's a little sticky would work just as well. Good luck.

spidermom
May 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM
There's no getting around hairs sticking out. Even when my hair was blunt cut "all one length", I had so many newer, shorter hairs all down my length that after an hour or two, my braids looked like baby bottle washers. The only difference with my current layers is that, rather than having a halo of escaped hairs all over the braided length, more hairs pop out together at specific places.

Sharysa
May 28th, 2014, 05:46 PM
This depends HEAVILY on preference and thickness. I hate blunt hems now that my hair's so thick and I'd always end up with a really long tassel due to one section always ending up shorter than the other two. However, I will never touch layers again because layers in general are not good for wavy/curly hair.

Moderate U-hems and fairy-tale/natural ends are my personal preference, but it took me a full YEAR to get a non-stubby braid and a non-paintbrush tassel because my hair's so thick.

Some people like a blunt hem for the paintbrush tassel, and others like layers precisely because it makes their braid look messy, and still others just like the natural/fairy-tale look because it looks natural.

Basically: Whatever you like.