PDA

View Full Version : SLS=happy scalp?

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 08:37 AM
So I've stopped trying to stretch washes since it's been humid and I've noticed that my scalp has zero dandruff. Zero. This is a change from dandruff everywhere. Could the SLS have anything to do with it? I use the Aussie moist shampoo.

Thinthondiel
May 28th, 2014, 08:44 AM
It's the opposite for me. SLS dries my scalp out, which causes it to flake, so the more often I use SLS shampoo, the more dandruff I get. Which is why I don't use SLS anymore, except when clarifying. But we're all different, so I'm sure SLS could reduce dandruff for some people.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I found the Sulfate free stuff made my dandruff multiply. I'm not entirely sure why but I'm thinking, it was so gentle, it didn't do ****. I also no longer get the "itchies" with more frequent washing and sls. YMMV.

lapushka
May 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I know sl(e)s shampoos keep my SD at bay, so yes, it could matter.

PrincessIdril
May 28th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Everyone's scalp is different but SLS shampoos certainly keep my psoriasis happy.

Wosie
May 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I thought my scalp was okay with SLS, but I clarified my hair a few weeks ago and my scalp still hasn't recuperated from it. It got much, much itchier than it had been the past months, and the flakes... my word, the flakes. shudder: It was like a proper snowstorm if I scratched and fluffed my hair around. Not pretty. :*/

Larki
May 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I've only ever used SLS shampoo and I've never had dandruff or any kind of scalp problem (itchiness, dryness, etc), so there you go. I think it just depends on the person.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 28th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've always used SLS shampoos (usually Herbal Essences or Aussie) and never really had any itchy scalp or dandruff problems, but about a month or two ago I switched to SLS-free (Nature's Gate) and my head has been crazy itchy ever since. I thought maybe my scalp just needed time to adjust and it would get better, but it didn't. The last few times I washed I skipped the shampoo and co-washed with the Nature's Gate conditioner only and now I'm not itchy. So maybe there's something in the Nature's Gate shampoo that's irritating my scalp, I'm not sure... I think I'm going to try a different brand of SLS-free shampoo and see if I have the same problem. I don't want to co-wash all the time as I don't feel like it really gets my hair/scalp clean, but I want shampoo that's going to be gentle on my hair. Grrr :? Maybe I need to just go back to SLS shampoo because the itchy scalp can't possibly be good for my hair.

lapushka
May 28th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Don't feel bad, some scalps just can't handle "milder". Just do what your hair, and scalp want and you'll be happy. ;)

florenonite
May 28th, 2014, 11:26 AM
It's a common misconception that dandruff = dry scalp. While dry skin can cause flaking, often dandruff is actually caused by fungus (which, IIRC, feeds on sebum) or simply an overly oily scalp. In these cases, using a nice, harsh detergent that strips the oil is actually helping your scalp.

ravenreed
May 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
While SLS shampoos give me an itchy scalp with a tendency to flake, most SLS-free shampoos make my scalp go completely insane with flakes. I would rather use a regular SLS shampoo on the rare times I have to shampoo my scalp. I think that most things in hair care are very much YMMV, so go with what your hair and scalp tell you to use.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Don't feel bad, some scalps just can't handle "milder". Just do what your hair, and scalp want and you'll be happy. ;)

True that. I'm so glad I'm over trying every new thing I read about.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM
While SLS shampoos give me an itchy scalp with a tendency to flake, most SLS-free shampoos make my scalp go completely insane with flakes. I would rather use a regular SLS shampoo on the rare times I have to shampoo my scalp. I think that most things in hair care are very much YMMV, so go with what your hair and scalp tell you to use.

Same! Sulfate free gave me flakes of doom AND made my scalp really itchy. My length loved it though........always got real soft....

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've always used SLS shampoos (usually Herbal Essences or Aussie) and never really had any itchy scalp or dandruff problems, but about a month or two ago I switched to SLS-free (Nature's Gate) and my head has been crazy itchy ever since. I thought maybe my scalp just needed time to adjust and it would get better, but it didn't. The last few times I washed I skipped the shampoo and co-washed with the Nature's Gate conditioner only and now I'm not itchy. So maybe there's something in the Nature's Gate shampoo that's irritating my scalp, I'm not sure... I think I'm going to try a different brand of SLS-free shampoo and see if I have the same problem. I don't want to co-wash all the time as I don't feel like it really gets my hair/scalp clean, but I want shampoo that's going to be gentle on my hair. Grrr :? Maybe I need to just go back to SLS shampoo because the itchy scalp can't possibly be good for my hair.

Try the SLS again, if it doesn't work, than something else entirely is up.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM
It's a common misconception that dandruff = dry scalp. While dry skin can cause flaking, often dandruff is actually caused by fungus (which, IIRC, feeds on sebum) or simply an overly oily scalp. In these cases, using a nice, harsh detergent that strips the oil is actually helping your scalp.

I've actually taken to repeating specifically on the scalp. It seems to help keep me flake free.

YamaMaya
May 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM
My scalp has been on the itchy side lately and on a whim I decided to use sulphates again and implement a proper scritching routine between washes, and it's greatly reduced the ichies and flakies on my scalp.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 07:16 PM
My scalp has been on the itchy side lately and on a whim I decided to use sulphates again and implement a proper scritching routine between washes, .

What's scritching? That sounds like a good idea.

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2014, 08:18 PM
SLS makes my scalp happy. It makes my skin unhappy though, so I just wash twice with an SLS free wash and that keeps the flakes at bay.

Larki
May 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
SLS makes my scalp happy. It makes my skin unhappy though, so I just wash twice with an SLS free wash and that keeps the flakes at bay.
You first use an SLS shampoo and then an SLS-free one?

bunnylake
May 28th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I've never had scalp issues other than oiliness but I love SLS. SLS & no or minimal cones. Makes my hair so shiny, bouncy, clean, tons of volume... I tried so many methods and natural products only to return to good old conventional chemical-laden shampoo. My hair and scalp are happier than ever. :)

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2014, 10:27 PM
You first use an SLS shampoo and then an SLS-free one?

No, I wash both times using SLS free. It has really helped

teela1978
May 28th, 2014, 11:25 PM
My scalp has gotten horribly itchy every time I've tried switching to "gentler" shampoos. SLS keeps bleeding scalp sores away. YAY SULFATES!!!!

jeanniet
May 29th, 2014, 12:19 AM
SLS dries my scalp out and causes flaking and itching. So does SLS-free, but to a much lesser degree. CO washes = happy scalp, no flaking, no itching. But I think that SLS is appropriate for a number of scalp conditions, so worth trying if you have issues.

LadyCelestina
May 29th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I think everyone is different and has a different scalp and sebum composition,so yes it is quite likely that a larger number of population can use SLS on their scalps,and some will preffer CO,and some will preffer clay,and some will preffer WO/SO.

And that is why it puzzles me when someone tries to push one way of scalp washing as being the ultimately perfect way for everyone.So when you want to co-wash,everyone around you is likely going "Oh you have to use shampoo!" and when you use shampoo,you need to ask us all if it is all right :D . Yes of course it is :flower:

Selkie-
May 29th, 2014, 01:14 AM
No, I'm the opposite -- my scalp loves mild SLS-free shampoo. ;)

YvetteVarie
May 29th, 2014, 05:36 AM
My scalp loves SLS shampoos, my hair not so much. So I always add on a lot of coconut oil to my hair to stop it from getting dried out by the SLS shampoo

YamaMaya
May 29th, 2014, 05:07 PM
What's scritching? That sounds like a good idea.

It's basically using either a comb, or your fingers, or some kind of similar tool to loosen up the dead skin on the scalp, which can then be brushed away with a bbb or washed out, depending on the day. I find the Tangle Teezer makes a good scritching device, or a shampoo brush.

HintOfMint
May 29th, 2014, 05:20 PM
My scalp is so much better with SLS shampoos in terms of flakes and shedding. Granted, not every SLS shampoo is the same. Pantene makes a really harsh one that made my scalp freak out with great oozing crustiness (sorry for the gross imagery!), and I've had some trouble with the hyper-cleansing "volumizing" shampoos, but other than that, SLS is pretty reliable for me.

HintOfMint
May 29th, 2014, 05:26 PM
My scalp is so much better with SLS shampoos in terms of flakes and shedding. Granted, not every SLS shampoo is the same. Pantene makes a really harsh one that made my scalp freak out with great oozing crustiness (sorry for the gross imagery!), and I've had some trouble with the hyper-cleansing "volumizing" shampoos, but other than that, SLS is pretty reliable for me.

kganihanova
May 29th, 2014, 08:14 PM

I've never tried pantene shampoo. Too coney for my liking..

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 15th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I know this thread has been quiet for a little while, but I wanted to post an update of sorts. I had previously mentioned that when I switched to sulfate-free Nature's Gate shampoo I started having problems with itchy flaky scalp and thought maybe I needed to switch back to sulfates... Well, anyways I decided I would try out another sulfate-free option before giving up on it altogether. I have been using the Ogx (Organix- I guess they're changing their name or something? Idk) Coconut Water shampoo and conditioner for a couple weeks now. It is SLS/SLES-free and I really like it. No more itchy scalp! Hallelujah :joy: It's hard to say specifically what was causing the itchies before because it's not just one or two ingredients that are different from the Nature's Gate stuff, the whole ingredients list looks completely different. :shrug: So just putting that out there for anyone else having trouble with it but still wanting to try to avoid sulfates.