PDA

View Full Version : What's your biggest change since lhc?

diddiedaisy
May 28th, 2014, 04:09 AM
My biggest change is my shedding rate. I lose very little hair now compared to previously.

previously whenever I ran my hands through my hair, in particular underneath at the back, hairs would always come out, especially first thing in the morning. Now, I might get one or two in the morning and hardly any throughout the day. Now though I have a lot of new growth, I have a lot that is about 3-4 inches from a massive shed last summer due to stress, which left me with some very thin patches and I have recently noticed I have another new growth spurge which is about 1 inch. And although this leaves me with messy hair especially with updos I am looking forward to hopefully thicker looking hair when it eventually catches up as both these sets of new growth spread completely all over my head.

I attribute this to taking msm, biotin and muti-vits. I've had a two month break off msm and biotin but I've recently starting taking them again.

So what's the biggest change you have noticed?

martyna_22
May 28th, 2014, 04:15 AM
The condition of my hair has improved significantly, when I joined I had so many split ends! I could S&D for hours and there still would be plenty left. Now, I practically don't have splits. Since February (last trim) I've found... 5 maybe? The ends are, obviously, not as healthy as the rest, but still good enough :)
I took the plunge and used henna as well.. yesterday. Love it :)

two_wheels
May 28th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Definitely fewer splits than last time at this length, when I would have multiples shudder:
I think it's because I know how to get moisture into my hair now, and stopped wet brushing.

Selkie-
May 28th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Less split ends as well - I think this is due to wearing my hair up most days whereas before my default 'style' was a ponytail. :)

embee
May 28th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Discovering WO and NW/SO. What a stunning thing!

LightSabr
May 28th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Brushing technique. I comb my course, thick hair with a wide toothed comb while I'm still in the shower to detangle. This alone has made an insane difference on hair quality and damage reduction

Crystawni
May 28th, 2014, 05:45 AM
My hair is getting its curl on, is not sitting so flat and deflated, and looks and feels soft and shiny without having to coat it in globs of manufactured stuff. I've had fun discovering CWC (with the odd CO here and there), no cones if possible and no sulphates, ACV, coconut oil (+aloe vera and shea butter...), argan oil, making my own moisturising emulsions (for hair and skin), and I've become a bit of a hair toy, knock-off tangle teaser (I have three different ones now), and bun addict. And I'm learning to have fun with the white stuff instead of hiding it. That's all in just a month... :bigtongue:

Um, so, as with many newbies, a "few" biggest changes for me (I'm sure I'm forgetting some, too!). And of course, I'm also discovering many fantastic people and their awesome manes! Inspiration and motivation is just a click away!

Stray_mind
May 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Less shedding, less snapping sounds of hair and more shine.

momschicklets
May 28th, 2014, 05:48 AM
My biggest change has been mental. I never gave my hair a second thought when it came to how I was treating it. Never phased me to rip a brush through it several times a day, pile it all on my head to vigorously scrub it, etc. LHC has raised my awareness so now I think about my hair all the time! :p Probably too much LOL I'm far more cautious with its treatment and I can definitely see some pay-off as my hair is really looking shiny and healthy.

neko_kawaii
May 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Toys, toys, toys! And buns!

silverthread
May 28th, 2014, 06:39 AM
My biggest change has been mental. I never gave my hair a second thought when it came to how I was treating it. Never phased me to rip a brush through it several times a day, pile it all on my head to vigorously scrub it, etc. LHC has raised my awareness so now I think about my hair all the time! :p Probably too much LOL I'm far more cautious with its treatment and I can definitely see some pay-off as my hair is really looking shiny and healthy.

This^^^ And of course that my hair hasn't been this long in 35 years; little or no split ends; overall healthier hair.

quiltlady
May 28th, 2014, 06:48 AM
The condition of my hair has improved. It is softer, probably because I am not using styling products or hair spary. I have a lot less split ends. Before LHC, I saw splits every where, it drove me nuts. Now I have a lot less, mostly in the back. It is easier to S&D the sides. The other change is how less frequently I get a trim. I now go when I feel I need a trim.

Weewah
May 28th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I can have my hair in its natural waviness and it actually looks good. Before LHC I was a daily ironer. I just saw my hair as lioney, poofy, and mousey and it just needed to be straightened and bleached. But whenever I got sweaty or it was humid I'd get crazy frizz and it'd poof right back up. Plus I always needed to brush it. Now that I actually know how wavy hair works, I can confidently walk around in the drizzle, or go through a long night of dancing, and my hair still looks decent, embracing my natural texture has been great. :cool:

~Abi~
May 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Learning about and getting the guts to start CO washing. That's lead to wavier hair (along with the change of constantly bunning), and less frizzies as i used to have a crazy halo of frizz when i did updos on humid days, but now my hair lays much smoother.

lapushka
May 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Changes? Hmm... :hmm: probably going (modified) curly girl and growing some length. :)

lazuliblue
May 28th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I've now got wavy/wurly hair! (I mean, clearly I must have had wavy hair for a while, I just hadn't realised!)

Also hair sticks and flexi-8s :o

diddiedaisy
May 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Split ends seem to be the common thread.

It's also interesting to see that people's hair gets wavier/curlier. This has also happened to me. I wonder why it does that?

My mental state has also changed, heat, brushing etc.

I'm not yet seeing healthier hair as such as I am clinging on to 3 inches of thin ends, not really damaged too much but a bit frizzy which makes it look rubbish. I'll get rid of it when I reach apl then maintain until beautiful. I could be there a while :)

ErinLeigh
May 28th, 2014, 10:37 AM

I could have wrote this.
I just didn't really think about hair except to go to salon on autopilot every 6-8 weeks for cut/color and buy the latest product pushed on me (while having no clue about the ingredients)

My biggest change? Hard to pick just one but I guess I would say frizz reduction/smoother hair.
My general overall hair care has improved because I am actually aware of my hair, what causes more than normal damage, and what certain ingredients do for hair.

jacqueline101
May 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Condition of my hair, learning about monistat, proper hair care,and updo for protection.

PraiseCheeses
May 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Two big areas of change - less mechanical damage (sticks instead of ties and claw clips, silk pillowcases, sleep cap, silk scarf over wool collars, sanded seamless wide-tooth comb, etc) and understanding my hair's needs and what ingredients will fulfill them at any given moment. While I've purchased a lot of less-than-perfect products in my quest to find the perfect ones, it's been years since I've bought anything that was absolutely unusable. Also, if I need my hair to behave in a certain way on a certain day, I know I can reliably make it do so. Before LHC it was all "I'm meeting my boyfriend's family and my ends are dry and stringy and sticky - must need MOAR silicone serum - WHY IS IT WORSE?!?!" :p

AmyBeth
May 28th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I've always had long hair except for one 5 year period when I had it between APL and BSL. I let it grow as long as I could get it for most of my life. Since LHC, it's gotten several inches longer than what I always thought was my terminal length, and the thickness has just about doubled, and it's much shinier than it ever was before. These changes are due to actually taking care of it, as opposed to just letting it grow while abusing it in every possible way and never trimming any damage off. I actually like my hair now! I never did before, I just liked long crummy hair better than short crummy hair.

MeowScat
May 28th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Going sulphate free was a huge step for me. I never realized that I was stripping my hair and scalp every time I used my shampoo.

RainbowBowser
May 28th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Being able to stretch my washes to 1-2 times a week. I used to be a daily washer. Waaaay less splits, and finally being brave enough to wear my hair up more often to protect it.

woodswanderer
May 28th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Wasting lots of money for hair products and hair toys... :cheese:

Aderyn
May 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM
The overall condition of my hair. Healthier, stronger, not fighting the curl, longer times in between washing, etc.

Wearing my hair up. Through the day and the night. I would never wear my hair up pre-LHC. (This is probably the biggest change, and is the main cause for my hair being in much better condition).

Hair toys. I didn't have very many of even the generic hair accessories pre-LHC, and now I have a little bit too many. :p

Anje
May 28th, 2014, 02:42 PM
My biggest changes: Less washing, and I no longer rip through my hair when combing or brushing. No more perma-pony (technically pre-LHC, but the breakage it caused helped convince me to join).

My hair's biggest change: well, it's longer than it's ever been!

KaleidoscopeEyz
May 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Oiling, CO and CWC, no more silicone serums, no more heat styling, just purchased a sleep cap, satin pillow cases for sleeping, trying various hair products, and got a couple hair toys. :)

molljo
May 28th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Two big areas of change - less mechanical damage (sticks instead of ties and claw clips, silk pillowcases, sleep cap, silk scarf over wool collars, sanded seamless wide-tooth comb, etc) and understanding my hair's needs and what ingredients will fulfill them at any given moment. While I've purchased a lot of less-than-perfect products in my quest to find the perfect ones, it's been years since I've bought anything that was absolutely unusable. Also, if I need my hair to behave in a certain way on a certain day, I know I can reliably make it do so. Before LHC it was all "I'm meeting my boyfriend's family and my ends are dry and stringy and sticky - must need MOAR silicone serum - WHY IS IT WORSE?!?!" :p
All of this, absolutely.
The biggest thing is that my hair isn't my enemy. I finally understand what makes it happy, what ingredients it doesn't like, and I'm not constantly playing Russian Roulette in terms of whether today is going to be a good hair day or not. I've also not impulsively chopped it in months, which is huge for me as I have a long history of taking my stress out on my hair.

door72067
May 28th, 2014, 04:06 PM
my skin is no longer inflamed

how did this come about from LHC?

I never knew I was allergic to parabens and sulfates until I went paraben/sulfate free in my shampoo/conditioner

I always had tiny bumps around my hairline (not red or anything, but there, if you ran your finger over it) and now...gone

oh, and I am all but 100% virgin (I have maybe an inch-ish to still cut off)

Maganda
May 28th, 2014, 04:24 PM
previously whenever I ran my hands through my hair, in particular underneath at the back, hairs would always come out, especially first thing in the morning. Now, I might get one or two in the morning and hardly any throughout the day.

Is it normal to lose that little? My shedding has decreased dramatically since I learned how to care for it, but I still pull out maybe 30-50 strands when I detangle every morning and lose a few more during the day. I'm probably not getting enough nutrients but I'm not sure if it would make that much difference for me...

YamaMaya
May 28th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I notice other people abusing their hair and it horrifies me. I constantly yell at my husband for ripping a brush through his baby fine APL hair. I bought him a Tangle Teezer (in manly black of course) to try and mitigate the damage, but he still rips through root to tip. Sometimes I just get frustrated and brush it for him because he can't seem to grasp brushing from the bottom up :justy: . He also refuses to keep it in a braid which would protect his hair so much better than the low ponytail he's adopted to keep his hair contained. Sigh..it's so hard loving a stubborn man :p.

Weewah
May 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I notice other people abusing their hair and it horrifies me. I constantly yell at my husband for ripping a brush through his baby fine APL hair. I bought him a Tangle Teezer (in manly black of course) to try and mitigate the damage, but he still rips through root to tip. Sometimes I just get frustrated and brush it for him because he can't seem to grasp brushing from the bottom up :justy: . He also refuses to keep it in a braid which would protect his hair so much better than the low ponytail he's adopted to keep his hair contained. Sigh..it's so hard loving a stubborn man :p.

Your husband and my bf are hair twins, he also rips a brush through it and keeps it in a low ponytail. Whenever I touch his hair and notice splits or try to help him he doesn't want anything to do with it. So I just let him have his scraggly man hair now lol.

kganihanova
May 28th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I'm much better at brushing and combing. oh and oiling, I never did that pre-LHC.

YamaMaya
May 28th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Your husband and my bf are hair twins, he also rips a brush through it and keeps it in a low ponytail. Whenever I touch his hair and notice splits or try to help him he doesn't want anything to do with it. So I just let him have his scraggly man hair now lol.

I know I should just let it go, but somehow I can't. I want his hair to be a lovely man mane instead of a stringy mop, and I'm hoping one day I'll wear him down enough that he'll take my advice :p.

Weewah
May 28th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I know I should just let it go, but somehow I can't. I want his hair to be a lovely man mane instead of a stringy mop, and I'm hoping one day I'll wear him down enough that he'll take my advice :p.

Maybe I stopped trying to help because I subconsciously want his hair to be worse than mine. :smirk: Or I'm too lazy who knows. :shrug:

Crystawni
May 28th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I notice other people abusing their hair and it horrifies me.

On a similar note, I'm now noticing other people's abused hair. Their dry, frizzy ends. Multi-coloured balls of bunness. Fried and messy mops. Over-processed and under-cared for sadness. It seems to be the majority of the population where I live... On a happier note, I'm also noticing people with long hair now, how they wear it, and those with well-kept locks.

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2014, 08:14 PM
My biggest change is that my hair is actually growing.

I had tried for a long time to grow my hair out, but it always seemed to stop at BSL. I can now proudly say my hair is MBL! I never thought waist length hair was a possibility for me, but now it's looking like it is.

I've also been able to get my frizz under control by not fighting my natural wave as much. I still have my bad hair days, but who doesn't.

Anyuta
May 28th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Omg, I have a whole list... I started with a big chop - everything that was fried, damaged, tangled, dead. I am now growing out my natural and this is my biggest change ever - I learned how to embrace my natural hair color. I am excited about the journey ahead and have no regrets for the chop. And then of course, I started paying more attention to ingredients, threw away all my brushes, switched to wooden combs, got some silk pillow cases, healthier hair bands... It is really paying off now and I can see the difference in hair quality. I am approaching 6 months since big chop and I will be soon posting pics of my progress :D

Jumper
May 28th, 2014, 09:24 PM
HUGE difference in my hair since I quit brushing it! I have had crazy frizzy hermione hair my entire life and just now I figure out how to just not brush it? What a lifesaver this would have been in high school!

I've also been informed by many people (not guys *sigh* just my few friends I have in life) that a bun is way cuter than a ponytail.

Also learned that as long as I don't twist my hair too tight, a bun is way more comfortable than a ponytail anyway.

I play with products a lot but I really think not brushing (rarely ever even combing, mainly I jus run my fingers through it) has made the biggest difference to taking a little of the insane volume/frizz out of it. The products are just fun.

Lirona
May 28th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Honestly, my biggest change since coming here has been what I spend money on... hair toys! :wail: Though my ends are way better too.

Parsley
May 28th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I've been lurking around a while. My hair is starting to feel nicer to the touch, although I'm still struggling with my main issue of frizz. I've been improving my methods lately thanks to LHC and have started oiling and am currently experimenting with natural S&C (SheaMoisture).

Brattina88
May 28th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Longer (hehe), softer, shinier, less white dots (!!!) and I think that's due to mainly not using the straightener, less splits, more manageable. Liking my red hair / freckles instead of fighting it constantly... Oh, and embracing my wavies <3
:D

If I had to pick one major change, it'd be tough. But most dramatic change is less white dots and dry frizz/damaged looking.

LauraLongLocks
May 28th, 2014, 11:22 PM
My biggest change is probably having the guts to decide to just GO FOR IT on such a lofty length goal, instead of taking it incrementally. Mentally wrapping my head around the idea that *I* could really have super-length hair someday.

Best big change for me on the haircare end... nightly oiling with shea butter and coconut oil. My ends are dreamy, even though it has been over 6 months since my last trim. I never thought that possible. (They are starting to get uneven though... so it is taking fortitude not to trim seeing as how I love a blunt or soft U hemline so much).

Diamond.Eyes
May 28th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I went from being a crazy scene kid who straightened her hair every day and dyed it black one a month to a girl who hasn't straightened her hair in 5 years and now embraces her naturally red hair! :flower:

PraiseCheeses
May 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I went from being a crazy scene kid who straightened her hair every day and dyed it black one a month to a girl who hasn't straightened her hair in 5 years and now embraces her naturally red hair! :flower:

As you most certainly should!! You have the most amazing natural hair color I've ever seen. (Apparently others think so too - have you seen the "Whose hair do you want to steal?" thread? :p)

Good to see you around the boards again! :)

LadyCelestina
May 29th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Mine is recent and that is - more slip in dry hair and the ability and will to wear my hair up in various braided styles.Not sure what caused the sudden change,but I am enjoying it a lot :cloud9:

Mimione001
May 29th, 2014, 01:59 AM
I learned why my hair never got any longer than shoulder. So this time i will!
Henna-glosses a nice and my waves are coming back!

Naima
May 29th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Since I joined LHC I shed much less. My hair is softer and healthier, cause I dye it only once in a 3-6 month. I found thats henna and oiling are great for my hair. And they grow from SL to BSL in a year. I'm pretty happy with this result))

Ingrid
May 29th, 2014, 02:23 AM
I keep on reading the thread title as "What's your biggest change since lice?" shudder:

My biggest changes are: updos, no dye, oils, and no shampoo! I've always tried to stretch washes so I guess that is not really a result of LHC. I think wearing my hair up in particular has considerably reduced my damage and is actually helping my hair grow for the first time in years.

The other change is that I'm actually now learning to appreciate my natural hair colour. It not a "huge change" but it has made a difference to how I feel about myself, since before my self-esteem was always bordering on non-existence.

ummyahya
May 29th, 2014, 03:56 AM
My biggest change is discovering that my hair has slight waves - I am loving it! Before I was using more aggressive products and not caring much about keeping my hair tied too tightly. I am really loving to be a part of this community!

Marika
May 29th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Buns and toys! I've been interested in hair care and long hair for 15 years which means I had already stopped abusing my hair when I joined LHC. My routine hasn't really changed either. But wearing hair up was a new thing for me and I think it has made a huge difference! Oh, and trimming my own hair!

MaryO
May 29th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I grew out virgin hair so honestly the only thing that has changed is the length in those terms. I have, however experimenting with different shampoos and conditioners and oils and am now using sls free shampoo and some argan oil and my hair is very happy with that! :-D

memeow
May 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I think the biggest thing for me is that I stopped brushing and combing my hair. Now I just finger comb with some leave-in and it comes out surprisingly okay. I've only been doing it a few months though, so I am very curious to see what it looks like going forwards. The recent growth is sooo soft and shiny, but maybe that's just because it's newer hair?

Agnes Hannah
May 29th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Apart from WCC, sleepcaps, hair toys and updos every day, combing rather than brushing and serum on the ends every night, just enjoying it. My hair is very fine, always will be no matter what I do, but it is growing and I am learning to love it and appreciate what I have got.(Still love everyone elses hair too)

hikarilu
May 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM
The biggest change for me has been the way I think about it. Since i was a kid I hated my hairtype and haircolor. I've learnt to love my natural titian red, really fine hair and people actually started to compliment me about it!

earthybee
May 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM
My expensive blow dryer gets no love. A year without blow drying my hair... I really should sell it :lol:

Crystawni
May 29th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Actually, the biggest change for me is taking pictures of my hair! Twisting in all sorts of positions, checking good light and weather, or learning how to get a semi-decent shot in the mirror... Too many pictures of my hair. Loads of pictures! And then there's the measuring... :rolleyes:

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
My hair feels soft. It never felt soft since I was a child. I mean, its still coarse hair, there's but so soft it's going to feel. But it doesn't feel like brillo anymore. Also, I really don't have frizz anymore. You can see that I have curly hair and that my other name is NOT Elsa Lancaster (as in, 'bride of frankenstein'). My hair looks prettier than it ever has (since I was about five) and its completely natural, really 'my' hair, this is so amazing to me.
It also has actually grown, which it hadn't done in at least five years. Or rather, it had been breaking off faster than it grew for the past five years, due to sulphate shampoo, hot water washing and other mechanical abuse. It also got noticeably thicker, which I didn't exactly need, but hey, how many women can say their hair is getting thicker at age 57, its better than the usual scenario at this time of life.

Imalath
May 29th, 2014, 06:19 PM
My biggest change since lhc has been actually caring about what my hair looks and feels like, instead of just treating it like a mundane fact of life, there to be minimally managed and ignored the other 99% of the time.

The biggest change to my hair has been giving up my brush and discovering that I am definitely a wurly girl, instead of just poofy-haired. :crush:

HintOfMint
May 29th, 2014, 06:57 PM
The biggest change has been length (I know I know, Captain Obvious here), but it really is amazing that I could cut down on trims and take care of my hair in the little ways that were causing damage and causing me to get my hair trimmed more often. Now I can actually take for granted having hair below my waist. I had already cut out heat from my routine, but learning to be gentle with brushing and combing, and wearing hair up when sleeping did wonders for the condition of my hair.

Feathered
June 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I just joined LHC recently, so I usually wouldn't be expected to see a lot of change yet , however, I was a long-time lurker on here before finally deciding to join, so I've actually noticed some things. (I realize what a gigantic run-on sentence that just was). Anyway, I've learned about sulfate-free products, cones, b.b.brushes, benign neglect, cwc's, coconut oil, etc. and have changed how I care for my hair. It's a lot softer, healthier, not so dry, and less split ends. I also stopped using heat on my hair. All good stuff. :) Thanks all you smart hair people!

turtleann
June 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Since I started reading on the forum, I've realized how much moisture my hair needs! Before, I knew it was dry but tried to hydrate with inappropriate products- essentially just sealing out moisture and weighing my hair down. The results made me think that my hair was too thin for moisture treatments and so the hair mostly stayed too dry. Now that I've learned some of the LHC techniques, I am giving my hair what it really needs, and it's looking and feeling better each day. :D thanks everyone!

meteor
June 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
My biggest change is getting no split ends and no breakage. I attribute this primarily to ditching my bad brushes and using only a wide-tooth comb and fingers to detangle.

I also notice a lot more shine, probably due to using more oils and conditioners.

Also, a huge change is spending a lot less time and money on hair, but getting way better results. The LHC helped me develop a very efficient routine and understand hair's needs way better.

sleepingduty
June 8th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Healthier, shinier, softer,nondyed hair that is enhanced by cassia. I love all the helpful hints on this site, and the willingness of all to share their hair care secrets. I have a lot more knowledge about what it takes to grow hair longer and in much better shape.

meliel
June 8th, 2014, 05:16 PM
The way I brush and style my hair has made it more manageable, softer, and it seems as though I'm not losing as much hair as before. Best results!!

Impulsive
June 8th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Oiling and co washing. And length, let's not forget length - my hair has never been so long. I thank the LHC for helping me resist the call of the scissors.