PDA

View Full Version : Is this a big shed? (beware: photo not pretty)

silverthread
May 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11208&d=1401232551

I'm in southeast Utah right now and the water is SUPER HARD. I am wondering if that's why I am shedding this much in the shower. I have very fine hair, almost BSL, and I wash it every 3-4 days. Still, this seems excessive to me.

ExpectoPatronum
May 27th, 2014, 05:30 PM
If you divide that hair ball into thirds or fourths, you'll find that it's probably not as scary as it looks. Personally, I don't think that's excessive. It looks no bigger than the ones I get - and I wash my hair every other day.

If you're that concerned about it though, I'd make an appointment to see a doctor.

cathair
May 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
It doesn't look excessive to me either. I've shed more than that and also shed less in the shower. How much do you normally shed?

Larki
May 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
It would be a huge shed for me, but probably not for most people! How does it compare to your normal amounts?

DweamGoiL
May 27th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Looks pretty normal to me.

MINAKO
May 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM
This is a day worth of shedding hair for me at the least. Doesn't look like alot to me at all, but you can only be sure if you notice that the amount is increasing (or decreasing on your head)

ARG
May 27th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Changes in water type (going from soft water to hard water, or vice versa) may cause your scalp to freak out until it adjusts (and some people's scalp doesn't adjust). Seasonal changes, hormonal changes can cause increased shed.

That being said, it doesn't look like much to me. I was picking up that much hair out of my trap (and that was after brushing my hair before the shower), and I was washing every 5-7 days. If its something that continues to concern you, definitely get a blood test done at your doctor. Better safe than sorry.

schnibbles
May 27th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Looks like something my hair coughs up every 2 or 3 days...

Sarahlabyrinth
May 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM
It doesn't look bad to me. It depends if it is what is normal for you, or if it has been continuing for weeks, and whether your ponytail circumference is decreasing or staying the same.

ErinLeigh
May 27th, 2014, 08:16 PM
For my fine hair it would be big but I wash daily or every other day.
If you think about dividing by 4 it would seem ok.

I would measure circumference of ponytail and keep track of it monthly to decide if its a big shed of not.
Are you noticing anything major in Appearance?

Silverbrumby
May 28th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Count out the hair. I did that for a while to get an idea of my shed. Was averaging 100 to 150 a day. Now it's down to 50 to 70.

divinedobbie
May 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM
I must be weird because if I shed that much hair in one day, I'd be sitting in the ER wondering if I accidentally washed my hair with caustic acid or something. YMMV. I guess it just depends on whats normal for you.

Toffeemonster
May 28th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Looks normal to me. It may be a big shed for you though, but certainly nothing to worry about. If you've by any chance had a baby in the last few months you could be starting to have post partum shedding...

momschicklets
May 28th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I really think that looks completely normal. I get a little guy like that covering my drain after my shower every time...and I also wash every 3 or 4 days. Do you brush or comb your hair often? If not, those shed hairs that haven't been combed out in 3 days are sitting there, and get dislodged when you wash. Even if it's 100 hairs all balled up (which it doesn't look like to me), that would be a small amount to lose over the course of 3 days.

Stray_mind
May 28th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I think it's normal. I shed a bit less than that. But it also depends on how many times a day do you change your hairstyle, brush or comb your hair and also on the lenght of your single hair. To people who have very long hair, even 10 shed hairs can tangle into such a ball :)

Crystawni
May 28th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I've never come across that much, myself, and it would alarm me (although I wash every 2 days or so). I'm lucky to get a couple hairs in the drain--that amount would be a month or so for me. Mind you, I could be missing the fine, hard to see white ones... We're at about the same length with fine hair, too, silverthread.

silverthread
May 28th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel better about it now. My pony circumference is still the same but I'll keep close tabs on it. Thankfully I'll be moving on to north Utah in a few days and hopefully the water will be a little better.