PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with flyaways

Arfed
May 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM
What's the best way to deal with flyaway hairs? I'm male so clips/hairbands wouldn't suit me (though perhaps there are still some male-fitting ways of physically holding them down?), and I'm worried about oils/gels and stuff, making my hair look greasy.

Would be interesting to get a good list of methods and tips here, on how best to do this :) Some people I've asked, have said aloe vera mixed with water, in a spritzer perhaps, might be a good idea - but to keep it away from my scalp, to prevent it looking oily; hairspray and/or leave-in conditioner has also been suggested, but I'd be worried about buildup and (again) having my hair looking oily.

Anyway, flyaways routinely drive me mad, so would be great to hear what other (particularly fine haired) people do to deal with it :)

Janette17
May 28th, 2014, 02:26 AM
A tiny bit of mineral oil, like 1-2 drops does the trick for me :)

Selkie-
May 28th, 2014, 02:37 AM
No product I've tried has ever really worked for me - combing my hair with a horn comb however seems to smooth it quite well and help control flyaways to a certain extent.

However I have also come to embrace this quality of my hair and now think that flyaway fine hair can be endearing and a little bit angelic as well. :)

ErinLeigh
May 28th, 2014, 10:40 AM
The right leave in makes a difference in my flyaways.
You can try aloe, my bf uses it as a gel and it gives a very soft natural look with a little control. Since it is summer though aloe alone may draw extra moisture to hair if humid outside, so you could always mix it in a mister with water, a little leave in conditioner and a drop of oil to help block some of the humectant effects.

cathair
May 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Probably not very LHC, but if I get desperate I use hair wax. Only have to use the tiniest amount to keep the ****ers down.

Arfed
May 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM
No product I've tried has ever really worked for me - combing my hair with a horn comb however seems to smooth it quite well and help control flyaways to a certain extent.

However I have also come to embrace this quality of my hair and now think that flyaway fine hair can be endearing and a little bit angelic as well. :)
Heh, true - though with mine I think it's a bit too much of a male medusa sometimes :p :) I've a horn comb too - interesting, I didn't know they helped.

Arfed
May 29th, 2014, 10:18 AM
The right leave in makes a difference in my flyaways.
You can try aloe, my bf uses it as a gel and it gives a very soft natural look with a little control. Since it is summer though aloe alone may draw extra moisture to hair if humid outside, so you could always mix it in a mister with water, a little leave in conditioner and a drop of oil to help block some of the humectant effects.
That's interesting - is there somewhere I can find good info on how to mix something like this? (products/quantities?)

Aloe was suggested to me by someone, so it seems a good one to look at doing a mix with.

What kind of leave-in conditioners might be good to think about? I got this one years ago, but it still seemed a bit too thick:
http://www.mypure.co.uk/brand/akin/akin-hair-care-b2/a-kin-lavender-anthyllis-24-hour-leave-in-conditioner-p237

Thanks for the suggestions all - please keep them coming :)

lunalocks
May 29th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Just a tiny bit of baby oil rubbed on the hands, and then on the flyaways will keep them down.

Kaelee
May 29th, 2014, 11:05 AM
That's interesting - is there somewhere I can find good info on how to mix something like this? (products/quantities?)

Aloe was suggested to me by someone, so it seems a good one to look at doing a mix with.

What kind of leave-in conditioners might be good to think about? I got this one years ago, but it still seemed a bit too thick:
http://www.mypure.co.uk/brand/akin/akin-hair-care-b2/a-kin-lavender-anthyllis-24-hour-leave-in-conditioner-p237

Thanks for the suggestions all - please keep them coming :)

My favorite leave in is Got2B Smooth Operator Lustre Lotion- it's not so much a conditioner as it is a styling cream (It's really just a mess of silicones in cream format) but I LOVE it. All the benefits of a shine serum, without the greasy stringy mess that a shine serum leaves in my hair. It soaks right in and isn't greasy, or sticky, or heavy, or anything.

lapushka
May 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM
A tiny bit of gel. Eco Styler is my favorite gel, it's got no alcohol, and doesn't flake, meanwhile provides hold without being greasy. You only need the tiniest amount, though. Less is definitely more!

woodswanderer
May 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I second the aloe vera gel. I put a pea size amount in my hand, add a couple drops of water, rub together, and smooth over flyaways if they are bothering me.

Arfed
May 30th, 2014, 04:39 AM
A tiny bit of gel. Eco Styler is my favorite gel, it's got no alcohol, and doesn't flake, meanwhile provides hold without being greasy. You only need the tiniest amount, though. Less is definitely more!
I might give that a try too so, the ingredients look okey on those - which one do you use or think is best? (Olive oil seems to be used a lot)

I ordered some aloe gel, as is suggested a lot, so will see how that goes too :)

Thanks again for suggestions all - do keep them coming! (might be interested in a good leave-in conditioner, that suits fine hair and doesn't leave visible residue)

lapushka
May 30th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I might give that a try too so, the ingredients look okey on those - which one do you use or think is best? (Olive oil seems to be used a lot)

I ordered some aloe gel, as is suggested a lot, so will see how that goes too :)

Thanks again for suggestions all - do keep them coming! (might be interested in a good leave-in conditioner, that suits fine hair and doesn't leave visible residue)

I have the Eco Styler with olive oil. Currently on my second 32oz tub. So that's sayin' somethin. I love it and use it all over my wavy hair to tame the frizz somewhat, together with some leave-in and serum (LOC method for styling - see signature).

Arfed
May 30th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Ah nice, that LOC thread looks useful :) Cheers - I may try some of that out.

I experimented with oils a very long time ago, but have not again since (think it left a lot of residue) - I probably should try again once more, as I don't pay much attention to the condition of my hair, beyond watching what ingredients I use in S&C.

Sharysa
May 30th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I just use body-grade almond oil after a shower. Technically I mix in sweetgrass essential oil for scent, but you mentioned being worried about feminine smells, and normal almond oil doesn't really smell like anything.

Arfed
June 7th, 2014, 03:42 PM
For when I get the Aloe Vera: It's said to keep oils away from the scalp, so does this mean I should avoid smoothing down my hair around the scalp, for preventing flyaways?

I have the Eco Styler with olive oil. Currently on my second 32oz tub. So that's sayin' somethin. I love it and use it all over my wavy hair to tame the frizz somewhat, together with some leave-in and serum (LOC method for styling - see signature).
Got the Eco Styler stuff (still waiting on Aloe Vera gel), and tried this out today - a small (pea-sized) amount smoothed across my hair didn't really do anything, but a bigger (2-3x more) amount later on today seemed to keep my flyaways down - but not sure as there was barely any wind the second time I was out :)

Do you (or anyone?) sometimes use Eco Styler on its own for flyaways? (if so, how much roughly?)

I read up on it a little more though, and there's this worrying review about its ingredients and hair loss - so a bit unsure on it:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RSN9ZAORMRLMX/ref=cm_cd_pg_next?ie=UTF8&asin=B004X8KOEC&cdForum=FxF7B2PYBF4X59&cdPage=2&cdThread=Tx3HVUNWM4XSUC0&store=beauty#wasThisHelpful

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
For when I get the Aloe Vera: It's said to keep oils away from the scalp, so does this mean I should avoid smoothing down my hair around the scalp, for preventing flyaways?

I don't see why. I mean, preventing flyaways by using the AV gel is the point, right? :)

Got the Eco Styler stuff (still waiting on Aloe Vera gel), and tried this out today - a small (pea-sized) amount smoothed across my hair didn't really do anything, but a bigger (2-3x more) amount later on today seemed to keep my flyaways down - but not sure as there was barely any wind the second time I was out :)

Do you (or anyone?) sometimes use Eco Styler on its own for flyaways? (if so, how much roughly?)

I read up on it a little more though, and there's this worrying review about its ingredients and hair loss - so a bit unsure on it:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RSN9ZAORMRLMX/ref=cm_cd_pg_next?ie=UTF8&asin=B004X8KOEC&cdForum=FxF7B2PYBF4X59&cdPage=2&cdThread=Tx3HVUNWM4XSUC0&store=beauty#wasThisHelpful

I only use it for styling, so in the lengths of my hair (from ear down).

HairFaerie
June 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I use a tiny amount of baobob oil on my canopy. It not only controls the flyways, it also makes my hair very soft and shiny. I have to be careful though because too much makes it look too oily.

Drosmand7
June 8th, 2014, 01:30 AM
No products - just a softer version of Boar Bristle Brush

http://smile.amazon.com/Diane-Wave-Brush-100%25-Bristles/dp/B0019ZCX46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402212637&sr=8-2&keywords=boar+bristle+brush+soft

UP Lisa
June 11th, 2014, 09:11 AM
No products - just a softer version of Boar Bristle Brush

http://smile.amazon.com/Diane-Wave-Brush-100%25-Bristles/dp/B0019ZCX46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402212637&sr=8-2&keywords=boar+bristle+brush+soft

Interesting. I'm always looking for a brush that won't rip my hair to shreds.

Arfed
June 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
The Aloe Gel I got, is '99.9%' pure (as I believe 100% pure has an extremely short shelf-life), but it has a slight alcohol/permanent-marker smell off it, so I haven't tried it yet - is this stuff ok to use?

The brand/item I got is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100g-99-9-Pure-Aloe-Vera/dp/B004ROQCP2

ChloeDharma
June 22nd, 2014, 05:24 AM
The Aloe Gel I got, is '99.9%' pure (as I believe 100% pure has an extremely short shelf-life), but it has a slight alcohol/permanent-marker smell off it, so I haven't tried it yet - is this stuff ok to use?

The brand/item I got is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100g-99-9-Pure-Aloe-Vera/dp/B004ROQCP2

If it's 99.9% aloe vera then it should be fine. I've not used that one though and personally prefer a tube you squeeze it out of.

If you wear your hair in a ponytail would it be so bad if it looked a bit oiled to keep down the flyaways? Another idea to consider is adding a drop or two of jojoba oil to the aloe gel in the palm of your hand. I find that an excellent leave in for calming unruly hair without looking oily.

Arfed
June 24th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks! I may try that then (jojoba mixed with aloe).

I would be kind of conscious about my hair looking oily alright, ya :) so long as it looks clean though, that is ok - so a little bit oily is not so bad then I guess.

Paraply
June 25th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I have the same problem as you! The next 1-3 days after washing there is a grazy halo around my head! Especially on my front hairline. I prevent it by using as little shampoo as possible and washing the scalp only when really needed. My head's natural oils keep my hair frizz-free and sleek. Still not everyone like to have greasy hair, but we all have our ways :)

Cania
June 25th, 2014, 08:35 AM

This is what I do, too ^_^