PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with some questions about purple ombre?

snowyx
May 27th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hello!
I want to color the ends of my hair with purple ion brilliance semi permanent hair dye. I want it to have kind of an ombre effect, darkest at the tips, and lighter as it goes up.

My hair is already ombred. My natural hair color is brown and the bottom 4-5 inches of hair are blonde. I only want to dye 3 inches max purple, and want it to go from brown --> blonde --> purple.

This is my plan, can you please tell me if this is okay? First I wanted to tie my hair in many small sections, securing each section with a hair tie, so I know to dye only the bottom 3 inches. (I want to do many ponytails so I don't end up with a line straight across). After that, I will apply the dye ONLY to the bottom 1.5inches of hair (because I want to tips to be darkest), and leave for 5 minutes. Then I will apply more dye slowly up until I hit the hair tie, and leave it on for the time it says in the instructions.

Do you think this is good? What would you do if you were in my position? Is there anything you would change?

Thank you in advance!

ErinLeigh
May 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Since you are already blond you could use a deposit only color and spare the damage.
I know the fading can be a pain so if you do want to use ION the plan sounds good.
I notice ION tends to run a shade darker than the hair samples in regular colors, not sure about fun colors but reading the reviews on it should help.

I think a purple ombré sounds really pretty. Its a good idea to chelate and clarify the hair the night before to remove any product and mineral residue. Afterwards you can apply some coconut oil and let it stay in overnight. That little bit of protection does seem to help.

If you gently tease the sections at the top where the top ponytail will sit it also helps in not getting that straight across line. It will give a little variation to line.

That's is all I can think of. It sounds like you thought this out and have a good plan.

snowyx
May 27th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Hmmm, so you think I should clarify and wash before I color? I read online that it is better to do it on 2nd to 3rd day hair. Also, would the coconut oil be on my hair while I am dying it? I did this when I bleached it, and it turned out nice and I still don't have any damage since doing it 6 months ago. I'm just afraid the purple won't take well to oil on the hair.

Thank you very much for your help :)

foreverKristin
May 27th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Hi! I used Ion Color Brilliance Brights semi-permanent before, in the magenta color. What I noticed is that it does not take at all in my virgin brown hair but it stuck like crazy in the blond streak that I dyed pink. I went crazy and left the dye on for WAY too long and the streak is still resiliently magenta, though it has faded.

I definitely support your plan to follow the time in the instructions, plus five minutes for the darker tips. Also, clarifying will let the dye penetrate your hair more. If your hair has been conditioned in the last wash before dying, the conditioning agents can block the dye from being absorbed, or it could even cause a patchy effect. Just know that you might have to bleach your hair if you need or want to get rid of the purple ombre, because that dye can linger.

Good luck!

snowyx
May 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Hi! I used Ion Color Brilliance Brights semi-permanent before, in the magenta color. What I noticed is that it does not take at all in my virgin brown hair but it stuck like crazy in the blond streak that I dyed pink. I went crazy and left the dye on for WAY too long and the streak is still resiliently magenta, though it has faded.

I definitely support your plan to follow the time in the instructions, plus five minutes for the darker tips. Also, clarifying will let the dye penetrate your hair more. If your hair has been conditioned in the last wash before dying, the conditioning agents can block the dye from being absorbed, or it could even cause a patchy effect. Just know that you might have to bleach your hair if you need or want to get rid of the purple ombre, because that dye can linger.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!! So do you think I should wash my hair with SLS shampoo (I normally use sulphate-free) the night before dyeing, and no conditioner?
After washing should I put coconut oil as a leave in like I normally do, or no?