PDA

View Full Version : HATE my haircut

rachaeltowne
May 27th, 2014, 03:23 AM
So, I don't know what came over me, but I decided I wanted bangs. I just felt bored with my hair.

I found a pic with a haircut I loved and brought it to my appointment. She did not give me that haircut at all! She gave me these thin wispy bangs that are slightly too short. The hairstyle I showed her had very thick bangs. Granted, I have very thin hair. But, all these pieces keep falling forward and I have to keep pulling them back all day. So, I think she just didn't cut them thick enough.

Plus, I now know that I hate having bangs in general because I hate how they feel on my forehead and shadow my eyes. My eyes are my best feature.

To top it all off, she layered the crap out of my already thin hair. So, it looks even thinner, choppy and dull.

I happen to like some light layering as it makes my hair have a bit of movement, but this looks stupid.

I should have just asked for a trim. It's going to take literally 2 years to grow these bangs out at the rate my hair grows.

End of rant.

Toffeemonster
May 27th, 2014, 03:36 AM
All I ever hear from people who go to the hair dressers is that they did it wrong! Even from guys getting very simple cuts. I guess it is probably really hard to work with different hair types etc, when someone presents with a photo of what they want. It seems they just try to make it work instead of telling people out straight that they can't replicate that with their hair.(because that would lose them a paying job!)

I remember when I cut myself some "bangs" in my teenage years, they were always in my face. If it makes you feel better, I got used to it really quickly, so you may well too!

I don't think you're alone on this website either, I'm often reading people complain about growing out bangs and bangs making their up dos difficult etc. I'd never do it again tbh.

Selkie-
May 27th, 2014, 04:03 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience and are now faced with a lengthy growing out process. (hugs)

The last time I had bangs cut the stylist went the other route and cut the most ridiculously thick bangs ever. They were a royal pain in the butt to grow out. Two years later and they are finally almost APL.

Take heart - they will grow and they might even look cute as face-framing layers in a couple of months. :)

redredrobin
May 27th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I had the same problem getting my hairdresser to cut a fringe. Despite being happy to chop off my hair she was reluctant to give me a 'proper' fringe and I had to keep asking for it to be chopped more. I think she was worried I would hate it, but sometimes you just have to cut it to see and having a half-way, long, wispy fringe is just even more frustrating.

On the plus side, it seems you have decided against a fringe so there is less to grow out (although since you got a long fringe you never know, it's short-ish already you could always go for a thicker fringe while you're here!) I actually don't mind the look of grown out bangs. Mine are getting very long now and I think they looked better before!

Sympathies for the extra layering you didn't ask for. For some reason a lot of people like the thin ends you get with layering so I don't think hairdressers always listen to what you ask for and just go on auto pilot. There's nothing wrong with thin ends and of course some people have natural taper. I just don't get the need to thin out hair for the sake of it.

lapushka
May 27th, 2014, 04:42 AM
You read lots of complaints of hairdressers not giving clients what they want on here. The best thing is to just learn to do it yourself. There's the compact cut methods to give you layers, and there's Feye's method for straight across trims. I'd just stop going to hairdressers, if I were you. Meanwhile, it sucks, but happy growing!

LightSabr
May 27th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know it's a small comfort, but at least you tried something new to see how you'd like it! Now that you know you don't you won't repeat the mistake. As someone who is easily bored and has experienced quite a few hair fiascos, I think it's a fair silver lining.

browneyedsusan
May 27th, 2014, 06:14 AM
I love my hairdresser. --Just saying it out loud. Sometimes she makes mistakes, but she tries very hard to do what i ask.

I look better with bangs, but can't stand how they feel on my face, are the perfect length for about 3 days, then too long. Trim them and they're too short... :justy: I grew them out and am rocking a giant forehead!

Get some bobbypins, and twist those pesky bangs back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U). It'll take a while, but they'll grow out. By Christmas time, they'll be down around your nose, or even your chin?

I feel for you. Eye-poking bangs are the worst!

Johannah
May 27th, 2014, 06:32 AM
You read lots of complaints of hairdressers not giving clients what they want on here. The best thing is to just learn to do it yourself. There's the compact cut methods to give you layers, and there's Feye's method for straight across trims. I'd just stop going to hairdressers, if I were you. Meanwhile, it sucks, but happy growing!

This is exactly what I did and it works like a charm!

I'm so sorry for you! Big hug! :grouphug:

Kherome
May 27th, 2014, 06:49 AM
First I just want to say that if you have thin hair (as I am an ii so I don't have "thin-thin" hair but it's not iii either!) you probably got all the bangs she could give you without REALLY messing up your hair. Years ago before I learned that I haaaaated it, I was a hair stylist. Don't throw stones at me for admitting that! Haha I was the sort that didn't cut more than asked and I was good at my job, no choppy crappy haircuts! I promise. One of the things I struggled with as a stylist was when people with thinner hair came in with photos of haircuts with bangs and they'd say "Make my bangs look like that!" The truth was (and I told them this) that I could NOT make their bangs look like that, they didn't have enough hair for it. If I cut in some deep wedge bangs I could get them close-ish to it, but that means all that hair I had to cut into bangs was now out of the length, making the hair look thinner overall.

Most people were glad I explained and opted out at that point. Some people said do it anyway. I did whatever they asked after they were presented with the facts.

So anyway, my point is, maybe she did the best she could and it just turned out to be a style that doesn't work for you. Then again, maybe she just stinks at hair cutting. At any rate, this too shall pass. And in the meantime you can pin the bangs back and use them to have some nice volume/texture by your face! Happy growing!

two_wheels
May 27th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Kherome, absolutely. I got a disappointing fringe about 8 years ago and wish I'd had that explained to me like you did for your clients.
The silver lining is that a few wisps must be easier to grow out than a blunt fringe.

schnibbles
May 27th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I am growing out bangs right now. (I'm a iii....my stylist made my bangs very thick) Thick bangs are a real pain to grow out. There is a lot of hair involved and it looks like a very obvious 'step' or layer that just stops and then there's the rest of my hair hanging there. It looks bad. I'm just saying, try to be happy that she just gave you wispy ones, they will grow out nicer. I was happy with my bangs for about a month and then the horror set in when I realized what I had done. I have been growing them for just over a year and they are almost to my collarbone.

I can echo what everyone else has already said about cutting your own hair from now on. I went to Sally's and purchased some hair shears for $50 and they have paid for themselves ten-fold.
I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the other layers. :( Luckily, hair does grow... It's patience that's the hard part.

ErinLeigh
May 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
OP I have been on your shoes so many times. I have fine/thin hair so layers can make my hair see thru, wispy and the ends look like a billy goat chewed on them most times. I usually ask for them though since I get the triangle head without them. I can never seem to get across I want light blended layers on the bottom few inches and always end up with choppy layers starting around ear. There is more than one thread on here of me moaning about a bad cut (or color)

The one thing I can tell you is they will start to look better in as soon as a month. Even small bits of length start to help them look more natural. As the layers lengthen and you microtrim the bottom things start to look like you initially wanted. Once the bangs grow just a bit you can always graduate them into the cut more. That makes the grow out so much easier in my opinion. I never have issues growing out bangs if they are angled into the layers instead of having them shorter than the layers or cut straight across. They will stay put when pushed to side if blended but until then when in this situation, I tend to use little claw clips or pins to make twists when I want them off face, or round brush them with a very large brush to give lift to keep out of eyes.

You should be able to get hair into a peacock twist and can twist bangs for interest and clip them back to be part of the updo look. Its a easy fix for summer until things grow out.

Hopefully you find ways to style it now that make you feel good. I know round brushes are the devil but they make a huge difference in how the layers look. I use them to give some crown volume, to tame bangs, and to get the layers to fall the right way. Its gives it a more blended look in the meantime. If I don't blow mine out with a large brush they just hang there in noticeable chunks. If you don't use heat..may large sponge waves could help blend.

I am really sorry you hate the cut. Regrets suck but maybe you can find a way to work with it and rock it until its able to grow out.

StellaKatherine
May 27th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know what it is, but every single time i go to a hairdresser - i come out somehow dissapointed. It is never what i expect, want, hope, need. Finally i understood, that it wasn't the hairdresser who couldn't do the good job, it was me who will never be fully happy.

The thing is most of the fancy hairstyles need some "work" to make them look like on the photo even when you have the right amount of hair. When you come from the hairsalon - you have your hair straightened, curled, put in right places with right products and it looks WOW. But just go and wash it and suddenly it is compleately different story. Last time i cut my hair just under my shoulders i did exactly that, i found photo on internet i liked a lot and asked for that hairstyle. My hairdresser was realy honest, she told me that i have enough hair for it, but that to keep the haircut looking like on the photo i would need to do lot of work with it. I still decided to go for it - i loved my hair when she cut and style it - and i hate it when i first wash it and saw my hair looking awfull lol

Kherome
May 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Kherome, absolutely. I got a disappointing fringe about 8 years ago and wish I'd had that explained to me like you did for your clients.
The silver lining is that a few wisps must be easier to grow out than a blunt fringe.

It bothers me when stylists just say "Ok!" and start chopping away. I think it's a little unethical to not at least try to find out what the person is really hoping to get out of the cut. While I know it's not my place to tell someone that they will look terrible with their chosen haircut, I always tried to explain to them things about their particular hair that might make it not look like the photo of Jennifer Aniston or um...I'm all out of famous people with likeable hair at the moment but you get the gist. You would maybe be surprised by how many people don't even realize that they have too much hair to make a style look "that way" or not enough hair to get the right look. They just assume that any/all hair can be made to look a certain way regardless of color, texture, thickness. I think we all know here at LHC that short of a wig that is just not so. You can't fight your natural hair without some consequences. Also I loved it (sarcasm!) when customers yelled at us because they did NOT suddenly look like the celebrity in the photo they brought in. It's just a haircut, not plastic surgery!

Anyway, long story short, bad hair happens! I know I had at least 2 haircuts in my life that I cried over. It'll get better OP!

rachaeltowne
May 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys! I figured out a way to blend them a bit to the sides and made my side part a little deeper. I used to not put and product in my hair, but this morning after my shower I put some gel through all of it and lightly blow dried (on low) just the bang area to the side.

The layers look much better now! I'm still not crazy about it and I'm not going to be as low maintenance for awhile, but I no longer feel ugly.

Lesson learned!

ErinLeigh
May 27th, 2014, 11:09 PM
I don't know what it is, but every single time i go to a hairdresser - i come out somehow dissapointed. It is never what i expect, want, hope, need. Finally i understood, that it wasn't the hairdresser who couldn't do the good job, it was me who will never be fully happy.

The thing is most of the fancy hairstyles need some "work" to make them look like on the photo even when you have the right amount of hair. When you come from the hairsalon - you have your hair straightened, curled, put in right places with right products and it looks WOW. But just go and wash it and suddenly it is compleately different story. Last time i cut my hair just under my shoulders i did exactly that, i found photo on internet i liked a lot and asked for that hairstyle. My hairdresser was realy honest, she told me that i have enough hair for it, but that to keep the haircut looking like on the photo i would need to do lot of work with it. I still decided to go for it - i loved my hair when she cut and style it - and i hate it when i first wash it and saw my hair looking awfull lol

You are soooo right. I swear sometimes the stylist just think about the "before and "after " photos in their mind.. but not think about how the hair is going to look next day. They don't factor in lifestyle and ease of styling. No one wants to spend 1 hour on a blowout and $50 on a multitude of products to get "effect." Really even if one did, it still never looks the same as the po blowout. I kinda wish they would dry cut and NOT style so they can see how hair will lay in natural form. I have had so many "great' cuts that turned into utter fails when trying to parlay into my normal life.

Kherome, you would be a dream stylist to many. People DO bring in photos of Jennifer Aniston (guilty) and no one mentions "hey your hair texture is quite different. If I do this then then your hair will not look same. I know people should know that but they don't always. They need to hear why it will or will not work and honestly it takes guts as a stylist to have the ethics to speak up. Clients are fickle and want miracles. It is someone special who sees beyond the $$$$ and cares about how hair will look after leaving salon (yes they can fake the effect when styling but it dosen't last more than a few hours) Some may not appreciate it and want to hear you will turn them into favorite celeb...but it would save a hella lot of tears to at least know upfront why style X may not work.

MadAddie
May 28th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Well... I have always hated going to the hairdressers because I just dont like having my hair trimmed. I forced myself to go the other week to get a trim. The hairdresser did a great job and didn't trim to much off. I was feeling braver then and asked for some layers to add movement. She did a great job and my hair feels so much lighter and better. I dont know why I always freak out about going to the hairdressers. Im fortunate in that I havent had one hair cut that I hated. :)