PDA

View Full Version : Honey/ACV rinse problems

sexyjacksparrow
September 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I just tried a honey and ACV rinse today for the first time. I didn't measure put I used about 1.5 tablespoons of honey and about 2 tablespoons of ACV in a 500ml bottle of hot/warm water. I did rinse afterwards with water under the shower for a min or two.

My hair is now all fluffy and frizzy and smells of vinegar - yuck. I guess the smell is because I either used too much vinegar or didn't rinse enough. Do you think the smell will fade or intestify over the course of the day? I hope I'm not going to smell like a chip shop all day!

What about the fluffy/frizzy - is that the honey or the veingar that has done that. I've never used either ingredient in any combination on my hair before so I don't know.

Thanks!

Rini
September 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I have never done this kind of rinse before, but I hope someone can help you out! Sounds awful :(

carolineb
September 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
regarding the smell, it should fade away as your hair gets dry, i think.

Katze
September 17th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I'm curious as to why you mixed honey and vinegar? For me, honey is conditioning and soothing, whereas vinegar is deep cleaning and helps replace the acidic balance of scalp skin...perhaps the mix itself was your main problem?

When I vinegar rinse, I put about 2 TBSP vinegar (doesn't matter what kind) in a 2 liter bottle of lukewarm water, shake it up, then use that to rinse my hair, alternating with water rinses. I make sure to let the vinegar sit on my scalp/hair for a few minutes.

When I use honey, I use crystallized honey as a scalp and face scrub, as well as a face mask. Great for eczema, SD, acne, just overall dull and sensitive skin regardless of if that skin is on the face or on the head. With honey, you have to be extremely careful to rinse it out VERY thoroughly - perhaps this is also part of your problem?

sexyjacksparrow
September 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks girls!

Katze, the mix is popular with a good few people over at the Naturally Curly forum. I'm not sure I really need the vinegar though since I still shampoo. Maybe just honey in future - and lots of rinising!!

The vinegar smell has now faded thankfully!

Kerry

ktani
September 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
sexyjacksparrow

I also do not see why the 2 are mixed.

Honey can leave a residue on the hair. The amount varies with the honey.

Vinegar can remove it but from reports in the Honey thread, shampoo works best for that.

I suggest just straight honey and water as a rinse. Honey is acidic. The pH can ranges from about 3.2 to 6 but diluted you should not have to be too concerned about that.

I do not think that the vinegar serves any useful purpose mixed with the honey.

Vinegar can be drying if not diluted well enough and honey can as I said, leave a residue, so either could be contributing to, or causing the frizz and dryness.

I recommend diluting both fairly well and using them separately.

Katze
September 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
yeah, I use vinegar just when my scalp is acting up, but it doesn't do the same as a nice sulfate shampoo.

From your hairtype, you're a lot like my BF, and I know that he has trouble rinsing stuff out because his hair is curly and thick, but fine. So perhaps that was the problem?

anyway good luck. :flower:

sexyjacksparrow
September 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try them separately and see how I get on.

Kerry xx

ljkforu
September 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try them separately and see how I get on.

Kerry xx
I really recommend a 1/4 tsp of powdered vitamin C from the vitamin section mixed with 16 oz of cool water, instead of ACV. It doesn't smell at all and I think it works better. Ask someone in the vitamin section or store I don't think it was that expensive and a bottle lasts a long time.

Melisande
September 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I use powdered citric acid for my rinse. It doesn't leave a smell and it works beautifully. I get shinier hair with citric acid than with vinegar.

sexyjacksparrow
September 18th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!! It's always good to knoew of alternatives :)

Kerry xx