PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Talk me out of the chop!

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Oh, well. I definitely need you to talk me out of the idea of a chop. Or to talk me in, I don't know. Anyway, recently I've been toying with the idea of going back to the shorter length. Let's be honest, if I had the courage I would go back to SL, but let's be more honest, it's the updos that I would miss the most, so I think that solution is out. Long bob is also tempting, but I'd probably feel annoyed by the awkward SL to BSL stage (I don't know why it feels so awkward to me, that APL-ish length). I've been waist to TBL on and off for past few years and now I get the same urge to cut. Every time my hair grows past hip I start to have this "too long" feeling (i know it sounds odd, I mean, I LOVE long hair so much!). Recently I saw the picture of one LHC member that went from hip to above waist, and I just wanted to rush for my scissors and do the same! On the other hand, this could be a chance to go all the way through to the classic, which I had only once in my life (I was 9 years old at that time) and to see how it feels. After all, if it still feels "too long", I could always cut back. So, what do you think? This is my length at the moment (sorry for the awful quality of the pic): http://i58.tinypic.com/jie3x3.jpg

Stray_mind
May 26th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Forst of all-i think your hair is gorgeous and if it's too much hair for you-i'll gladly take some for myself :D.. Seriously though. Have you done a two week rule? If not-do it. If you have and still want to chop, i suggest smaller trims-maybe 2 or 3 inches. If you still wanna chop shorter after that-then you should go for it. But think of all the time it took to grow that long. What if you won't like SL? It's gonna take a loooong time untill your hair grows back to where it was.. And think about all those beautiful updos that you won't be able to do anymore... Think all the pro's and con's and then decide. I personally advise you NOT to chop so much..... :)

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Thank you so much, Stray_mind! :)

I've decided that I'm not going for SL anyway (although I thought about it a couple of times), I would definitely miss my updos and I think that my main dilemma is to go back to the waist/above waist or just to neglect the urge and push through until classic (I will need a lot of patience with this).

I know that it's only me who after all can make the decision and who will or will not do it, but I still appreciate all your opinions, so please, feel free to share it! :)

It's just that... Part of me just loves the feeling of being at waist or almost-at-waist after this length (it kind of feels liberating and fresh, but still long), and part of me is curious, but impatient to try to go to the classic.

I will invoke not one, but two two-weeks rule, of course! ;)

Selkie-
May 26th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Nymphea - your hair is stunning - so thick and beautiful - and getting so close to classic!

From reading your post I get the sense that you will seriously regret it if you cut it before it gets to classic, so DON'T CHOP!! Just throw it up in a bun for a while and stop thinking it is too long!

Clearly you already know that you should not cut as you say that you will miss the updos, hate the awkward phases of growing out and regret not making it to classic. So DON'T do it!! ;)

ravenheather
May 26th, 2014, 06:59 AM
If you do chop, for goodness sake don't go to shoulder. I would try classic if it were my hair. That said, if you chop how about wl with layers like Spidermom did?

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I think I would just put it into a bun for the rest of the month and try to forget about it. I mean, for the next period of a month or so, at least - thanks for the advice, Selkie! :D I'm not so fond of layers, ravenheather - that option is great, but it's just not for me. Well, after all, maybe it's worth to just shut up my urges and go on for classic :D

Wildcat Diva
May 26th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Well, I certainly would, but I am not you. You can always go to waist from classic in an instant, the opposite takes three years lol.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Ok, I think I know what I'm going to do. First of all, I'll invoke two weeks rule, or, better, up to mid June rule.

If I decide to go for classic, I might take off 2 inches from current length (and I mean 2, not more - I'll have my best friend around to control me just in case, lol), just to take advantage of this wanna-cut phase, and to freshen up the ends a bit before putting my hair in a bun and definitely forget about it until at least half way to the classic. I think that sounds reasonable enough. :)

Imalath
May 26th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a good plan! Your hair is gorgeous, and you are so close to classic already! I have found the two weeks rule to be a sanity-saver, although I usually stretch it to a month to be really sure. If you do decide to cut, trimming an inch or two would thicken up your hemline a little and give you that fresh-cut feeling without putting you years away from classic. Good luck!

spidermom
May 26th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I think you should do both. Grow to classic, then cut back.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Haha, I like it, spidermom! Sounds weird, but it actually motivates me to grow! :D

spidermom
May 26th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I think you should do both. Grow to classic, then cut back.

MINAKO
May 26th, 2014, 09:01 AM
haha, so whats going on here? It's funny that we are very close on length and somewhat in texture as well, as we just started speaking about the tempting chop.
To start of, your hair is probably not even damaged, that would justify a cut anytime for me. But i know the situation, there's nothing wrong and this itch keeps coming back.
Frankly, the two week rules does NOTHING for me, it's like multiple hairstyle personality disorder... voice from the left... and from the right. I was thinking about the bob i posted in the other thread maybe since November last year, i was really close to do it early in March, but have been chickening out as i didn't know any hairdresser i would trust. Than the love for long hair gradually came back and i got away with a microtrim (horray!)
For me too, i would miss a neat, big and beautiful bun on my head. Theres only so much you can do with a short brush of a pony.
My suggestion > buy some clip in bangs, or anything that satisfies this need for a change in a way, deposit dye, a hairtoy youve been wanting for some time whatsoever.
The thing is, knwing where you have been, these in between stages to go long again will be annoying as hell, so if you really can't get your mind off cutting it, better be sure you will enjoy the cut for some time.
On the other hand, it's also a question of the face, i do really think that some people do look ultimately better with short hair, asking myself too if i am not truly one of those and just happen to have long hair now. This japanese Model from the post sure is looking waaay better, then when her hair was long, so did Olivia Palermo with the long version of a blunt bob.
I would suggest to not do anything within the next days but to play around with some different styles and less permanet changes.
Me for example, as soon as i see my hair styled and straight (yes im defending my heat tools to the grave, lol) i loooove it, such a boost. Pin your favorite longhair Inspiration to the bathroom mirror and see wich idea dominates in the long run.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks for joining the discussion, MINAKO - I'm particularly glad, since we are, it seems, in the similar position regarding the length, texture and an urge!

Actually, two weeks rule does something for me... Sometimes. :D I mean, it often happens that during that two weeks my cutting urge gets cold(er) and that I get away just with a trim or not even that.

I will try some new styles, some new updos - that should do the trick this time, and since it seems that I actually like that dynamic of length change from the waist/almost waist to the longer lengths and back, I'll stick to that.

Anyway, it's been 20+ years since I've been at classic, so maybe this is the time to push through, even if I rant about my urges to cut and even if I get bored somewhere at that road. Once I'm there, I can decide to keep it, or cut back to whatever length from waist below. I love WL and especially, I like the feeling of just approaching WL. I love how my hair is vibrant at that length. But I don't have much damage right now so I'll probably do that 2 inch trim and grow patiently.

I will give myself a portion of time to think it through a bit more, but I think I've mostly decided to grow. Spidermom put that challenge-like comment which draws me towards growing, I admit. :)

dulce
May 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM
If it's due to too much heaviness,how about a layered v cut? You keep the length but lose weight and bulk?

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, dulce! I like having slightly u-hemline and it's not the weight that bothers me! It's the length that I'm grappling with - that's really the only issue.

KaleidoscopeEyz
May 26th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Sounds like you're doing the right thing by giving it some thought first before you make such a big decision. I'm sure your hair will look pretty with whatever length you chose to keep it at. :) by the way, I have to say, your shower curtain is adorableeeee!! Where did you find such a cute one with kitties all over it? *squee* :D

LauraLongLocks
May 26th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I like Spidermom's suggestion to grow to classic and then cut back if you like it shorter. I would NOT go all the way to shoulder in one chop! I can't imagine feeling like you have too much length. I've only been in love with every little teeny bit of new growth from my own head. When/if you decide to chop, go back to the last milestone rather than skipping several milestones in one big chop. Live with whatever milestone you cut back to for a while and if it's not short enough, go to the next milestone above.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Haha, KaleidoscopeEyz, I adore kitties! I have so much things with kitty print in the house! :D

Laura, I've decided not to go to shoulder at all. Not even to BSL. It really helped me that I had the time to think it all through with all of you here! More minds involved are definitely more productive than one! :D

ErinLeigh
May 26th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Your hair is so beautiful. I would grow to classic with some microtrims along the way...then once you get to get classic take a ton of photos and if the idea is still there to cut, then go waist.
I just think right now it sounds like you may have some regrets if you chop. Plus since you like updos you may miss some of the ones you can at longer lengths. It would be fun to see and try them right?

two_wheels
May 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
If it helps with the motivation, definitely don't cut it until summer is over: thick hair + no updos in hot weather? Terrible combination!
I would do what spidermom suggests, growing and promising a cut once you see what classic is like.

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I would do what spidermom suggests, growing and promising a cut once you see what classic is like. I would definitely go for that challenge now when it's brought up! :D
Plus since you like updos you may miss some of the ones you can at longer lengths. It would be fun to see and try them right? Of course! I'll try to hang out more at the updos topics. :)

xcrunr2go
May 26th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Hello! I recently purchased a Revlon hairdryer for $40 (the low price should have been a red flag). It turned out to be a huge mistake! My hair starting feeling noticeably thinner & brittle. I will admit I had been using Aveda products for quite some time, which have cones in almost every product. I had gained quite a bit of length but realized after getting damage from this cheap blowdryer that I have to swear off heat styling for the rest of my life if I want the healthy hair I'm striving for! Sometimes I get so caught up in the length that I forget about the health of my hair! I say health over length any day. So I did a mini chop (about 2-3 inches) which made a difference. Remember, hair grows! Having a pixie was such a liberating experience. It allowed me to try different cuts/styles out as it grew out. I also had a lot more time on my hands with less hair to fuss with. If your schedule is feeling full & you have damage I'd say go for it as long hair your mentally prepared for it. The only way to get rid of damage is to cut it out. Dealing with damaged hair is sometimes more of a nuisance than anything because of the different porosity level/texture. Damp bunning has been a lifesaver for me recently. Going cone free has made a big difference as well. While I'm letting my au natural roots grow in sans heat styling I am on the fence about a big chop myself! I've been trying to get more cardio exercise in as I notice a jump in growth with my exercise levels. Hope this helps.