PDA

View Full Version : What can and can't you put in henna mixes?

Budgie
May 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I'm just wondering, is there common ingredients that mess up the henna? Or ingredients that help it? Sometimes I want to try adding yogurt, or egg, to my henna mix, but I'm afraid it will screw up the dye. I already know acids like vinegar and lemon juice are good for dye release.

Shatam1
May 25th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Acids will dry your hair.. You really don't need them at all. I use warm herbal tea like camomile or hibiscus, they are slightly acidic and good for your hair. Any other tea that you like can also be used.
Nothing will really affect the dye in the henna paste from coloring your hair but some people find that adding oils can inhibit the color from taking. I use lots of oils on my hair and in my henna and the color is never affected in any way. Oils actually counter the drying effects of henna and make my hair soft and manageable. As for eggs, some people add eggs or yogurt as well as coconut cream or milk. If it works for you, great, continue to use it .. You just have to try a few things to see what works for your hair type. I tried eggs and the smell only was a killer for me and I never tried it again. Sometimes I use eggs alone instead of shampoo but I have'nt done that in a loooooong time.
I'm sure other people will chime in and add their own observations .. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions:)

Shatam1
May 25th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Acids will dry your hair.. You really don't need them at all. I use warm herbal tea like camomile or hibiscus, they are slightly acidic and good for your hair. Any other tea that you like can also be used.
Nothing will really affect the dye in the henna paste from coloring your hair but some people find that adding oils can inhibit the color from taking. I use lots of oils on my hair and in my henna and the color is never affected in any way. Oils actually counter the drying effects of henna and make my hair soft and manageable. As for eggs, some people add eggs or yogurt as well as coconut cream or milk. If it works for you, great, continue to use it .. You just have to try a few things to see what works for your hair type. I tried eggs and the smell only was a killer for me and I never tried it again. Sometimes I use eggs alone instead of shampoo but I have'nt done that in a loooooong time.
I'm sure other people will chime in and add their own observations .. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions:)

Henna Girl
May 25th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I like my mix slightly acidic. I add a little ACV or orange or a splash of lemon juice in my mix. I found that it helps deepen the color. But as Shatam1 said, it is difficult to get it wrong with henna. You will be surprised on how resilient henna is and how permanent. Good luck :)

tbonita
May 25th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I've mixed henna with coconut milk as my liquid and still got good stain and boy was that easy to rinse out! I usually use hot tap water though. I rarely do the dye release thing and my hair is as burgundy as can be! Some EOs or spices can irritate your scalp. I like to add oils too and it covers my few greys just fine! Henna is some strong stuff! It's nice to add in other Indian herbs too. Just remember, anything added besides a simple mix is theoretically diluting the dye. Never had a problem experimenting though! If you have any specific lists of other questionable ingredients let us know :) Oh and a few times I've mixed henna directly into Greek fatty yogurt, it stretches your henna like you wouldn't believe and what a treat for the
Hair! Although I guess that may be technically considered a gloss... Still got great stain! Coconut milk sure smells better on the head for hours though ;)

tbonita
May 25th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I've mixed henna with coconut milk as my liquid and still got good stain and boy was that easy to rinse out! I usually use hot tap water though. I rarely do the dye release thing and my hair is as burgundy as can be! Some EOs or spices can irritate your scalp. I like to add oils too and it covers my few greys just fine! Henna is some strong stuff! It's nice to add in other Indian herbs too. Just remember, anything added besides a simple mix is theoretically diluting the dye. Never had a problem experimenting though! If you have any specific lists of other questionable ingredients let us know :) Oh and a few times I've mixed henna directly into Greek fatty yogurt, it stretches your henna like you wouldn't believe and what a treat for the
Hair! Although I guess that may be technically considered a gloss... Still got great stain! Coconut milk sure smells better on the head for hours though ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
May 26th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I like to add castor oil and honey to my mix :)

Castor oil is a strong oil i cannot use any other way because i'm going WO. It helps (hopefully) to grow hair faster and reduce shedding.

I add honey because it has cleansing properties. Makes my hair feel squeaky clean without using shampoo and condish. It also makes henna stickier, paste sticks to hair much better.