PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting baby oil

rcblinn
May 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Baby oil... a rose by another name. I've used it in several other products (ie conditioner and Dove serum) and it had done wonderful things for my hair. In an effort to par down my routine and eliminate build up causing products, I'd like to start using straight up baby oil. But I can't seem to get it to work as effectively as I had a few years ago! I've gone silicone free, used natural oils (EVOO is the only one that works for me) and I've been left with dry, velcro-y locks for the past two years. I'm wondering if it's not as effective as before because maybe I either still have residue in my hair or I am not applying it at the right time. For those who use baby oil, when do you apply it and what is your routine? Does it have to be on stripped, clarified hair? Thanks :)

kganihanova
May 25th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Doesn't MO work best on unconditioned hair? *going off of things I've read not experience*

ouseljay
May 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I find mineral oil works best with a shampoo that's strong enough to get the residue from the last oiling out. (I had been using an olive oil shampoo, but that didn't work so well with the mineral oil.) I shampoo my scalp and let the suds travel down the length, then use an apple cider vinegar rinse since we have hard water (I didn't have to do this when we lived somewhere with soft water), then gently wring as much water out of my hair as I can, and spread the mineral oil through. I think most people use only a couple-few drops, so I'd suggest starting with that.

There's a long mineral oil thread somewhere with lots of tips. K'tani did extensive research, so keep an eye out for her posts. (She has since closed her account here, unfortunately.)

spidermom
May 25th, 2014, 11:00 AM
The condition you describe - dry, velcro-y locks - is best remedied by a clarifying wash (or 2 or 3) in my experience. I once had to wash my hair three times in a row to get the stench of snake musk out of my hair and was rewarded with the silkiest, tangle-free hair that I had had in a long time. Sometimes it's the residues of products that have dried out, not your hair itself.

rcblinn
May 25th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Yes, I definitely get build up very easily in my hair. I have to clarify once a week to prevent the ends from sticking together. What boogles my mind is that I don't use silicones or natural oils that frequently, so I am not sure what ingredient in my conditioner is causing the build up. That's why I want so badly to just skip conditioner and use MO instead since there are much less variables to deal with :)

arr
May 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I love using baby oil, here's what i do. I wash my scalp with a regular sulfate shampoo that is free of silicones, then let the suds come down to wash the lengths. I apply my cone free conditioner, then rinse it out at the end. I use the same conditioner as a leave in, just a dime size dab with 3 drops olive and coconut oil mixed in. Then i finish off with two drops mineral oil rubbed all over to seal everything in. I do this 3 times a week and have no build up issues, but thats probably because i use a regular shampoo that could be considered clarifying by some standards.

ErinLeigh
May 25th, 2014, 09:27 PM
rcblinn are there polyquats, waxes or butters in the conditioner? Quats stick to my hair like crazy. I swear I can feel them filling up my porous hair. Its nice at first but too often my hair gets heavy.

OP I would vote for a good clarify and chelate if possible. Buildup does make hair feel as described. I tend to find its best to clarify and start fresh before I start a new product just so I can gauge true results without wondering what is making things feel as they are. I do think you can use over conditioned hair. From what I read its so good you may not need conditioner, but it would work either way I imagine. I would love to hear if it ends up working for you.

Arr, what you find MO does for your hair? What does it add that the oils do not. I am so curious about MO. I don't know why I just don't jump in and try it for myself. I need to get off the fence and see for myself but I worry about how easily it removes.

arr
May 26th, 2014, 08:59 AM
ErinLeigh, for me the MO gives me the benefits of a silicone serum but without making my hair feel coated or weighed down. It smooths frizz, adds shine, and softens but at the same time my hair feels light and fresh. It really helps with the "velcro ends" feeling since I'm growing out old damage. Also, it doesn't make my hair sticky and attract lint the way coconut oil does if i use more than a couple drops.

lunalocks
May 26th, 2014, 09:58 AM
here is my current routine: wash length with vo5 clarifying conditioner, wash scalp with desert essence (organic, cone and sulfite free) shampoo, dip ends in catnip tea x 20 min, air dry and when half way dried apply one spritz (I have it in a small sprayer - easier to apply than from a bottle) onto my hands and rube together and apply to ends and part of length. Finger comb occasionally while air drying.

I apply a spritz to handsa nd rub and apply to ends and last 6 inches at bed time before bunning.

The clarifying conditioner gets out all the baby oil residue.