PDA

View Full Version : Who would you get your hair cut by? A older lady with a dirty salon or a young woman?

glitterbug
May 25th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Hi all :)

Ok so this is quite a subjective question. I know a hairdresser I guess shes 40s early 50's not sure, but shes had her salon near my home for many years. In fact I visited her small salon twice in my life. The last time I went I was having problems with my hair and I was surpised she remembered me becos that was maybe 4 years after my first visit. I now went to her recently another hair dilemma, but she remembered me after 8 years! WTH!:confused: anyway her salon was pretty dirty and old with cheapo hair products, it almost like it stayed the same after all those years, but she did have a customer in. However she charges cheaply for haircuts, works on a part time basis now.

The other salon, its neat and tidy, they are open most days and has more workers, they also charge the same amount, but I dont know any of them and the hairdresser would be in her late 20s-30s. I only went there once about 7 years ago. I am not sure of this hair dressers capability or the older hairdresser from the other salon.

Which salon would you go to?

YamaMaya
May 25th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Go with the lady who knows you, she's more likely to comply with your wishes. Personally I'd be more comfortable with someone older and with more experience. I know it sounds a bit presumptuous but I feel like a younger hairdresser might want to be more adventurous, and I've never had a good experience with them.

woodswanderer
May 25th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Go with your gut.

lapushka
May 25th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Like YamaMaya, I'd also go with the older lady. She knows you, and even if the surroundings leave much to be desired, as long as you're happy with the cut, that's the main focus. I'd not go where I've not gone before.

quiltlady
May 25th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Styling and cutting hair is a skill that is developed over time with training and practice. I would not let anyone touch my hair until I have seen their work on someone else. I need to know the hairdressers capabilities. I would go back to the hairdresser you have been to before, provided you were happy with her services. You can always bring your own products, if you don't like hers.

jacqueline101
May 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM
If try the lady you've been going to. I know the parlor she hasn't as neat as it should be but at least you won't have botched hair.

fiğrildi
May 25th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I think I would also choose the older lady, maybe because I've had some bad experiences with young hairdressers. I don't go to the salon anymore, but if I did, i would choose my granny's old hairdresser, and her dirty salon. Also, I'm sure the old lady won't try to convince you into doing something you don't want to do ;)

MINAKO
May 25th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I would walk in the opposite direction of both and learn to self trim, even if you can't manage some cuts this way, it will never leave you as disappointed as if it goes wrong at the salon. I don#t know about your current lenght but anything i did on myself below armpit turned out really nice.

spidermom
May 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I usually enjoy my salon visits, which I don't think would be possible in a dirty salon. So I'd try the other place and ask for a very small trim the first couple of times and get to know the stylists.

Schnee
May 25th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Well, unless the stylist is fresh out of school, I wouldn't care much about their age. Age doesn't really say much about skill, I would be more concerned about a dirty salon (old and neat would be fine ;) ). To me that indicates that one maybe no longer care much, probably isn't updated and not to mention the possibility of old products and dirty tools and brushes..

My stylist was in her mid twenties wenn I started seeing her and very respectful and capable.

renarok
May 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I think if you communicate very clearly to your stylist and you are certain that she/he understands what you are asking I would be comfortable going to either salon. The rub here is when you ask for 1/4 inch off will the stylist respect that request and not deviate because she/he feels you need more. This is the major problem with stylists. Some (many) feel they know better than you what would be good for your hair and think they are doing you a benefit by cutting off your damaged ends or fixing your hemline. I am speaking from experience as a working hairdresser for 18 years, young hairdressers often have strong opinions and they let their egos direct their shears. Not always, but often. They are like enthusiastic puppies with no restraint.

sarahthegemini
May 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM
What would you prefer - a prettier 'neater' salon or a stylist that remembers you? Age is irrelevant and shouldn't come into it. You're either a good hairdresser or you're not.

queenovnight
May 25th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I'd go with the older lady. Also, she may remember all of her customers. Which is actually good business, and looks good on her part. Seeing as thought you've gone with her before, I don't see why not.. unless you were unsatisfied of course. Also, I think id go with her because it seems like younger stylists are scissor crazy and like to chop-chop-chop. - I also think that older stylists will listen better because they don't want to lose their customers, where younger stylists have years to screw up before it starts to show on their record.

florenonite
May 25th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I don't see what age has to do with it; there are older stylists who think they know better from their years of experience, and young ones who are wise enough to respect customers' wishes. Personally, I'd go with the clean salon, because, like spidermom, I enjoy the whole experience (and I'm a germaphobe!). I do think it speaks well of the other woman, though, that she remembers clients even after several years; at the very least it shows she views clients as people, and may even remember you telling her last time that you don't like blow-drying, for instance.

HairFaerie
May 25th, 2014, 05:38 PM
If the salon is dirty, I would worry that she is not sanitizing her tools, combs, equipment, etc. properly. Also, just because someone is young, doesn't mean they won't do what you ask. I have had plenty of "older" stylists not listen to what I asked for.
If your hair is long enough, I would go with what some others have suggested and learn to self trim. Just my opinion.

Stormynights
May 25th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I would want to look for someone who took pride in their work. Age has nothing to do with taking pride in what you do unfortunately.

Annibelle
May 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I would go with the clean salon. Like Spidermom recommended, go for just a trim at first. I don't care how well someone knows me, or how much experience she has; if her salon is dirty, you can get some gross stuff-- like LICE! Think about it. She sees strangers' heads all day. Those combs go on everyone's heads. So do the towels. That's what happens at any salon, but one that's visibly dirty? It would make me wonder just how dirty the stuff is that the customer doesn't see...

HairFaerie
May 25th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Exactly this!

Stormynights
May 25th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Salons are inspected regularly. The inspectors don't care if the walls need painting or the equipment is old but they will close you down if it isn't sanitary.

divinedobbie
May 25th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I would go to the clean salon. I just think that having an untidy or dirty salon is a bit of self reflection of the hair dresser. Age doesn't really matter either. My very worst nightmare haircut was by an older lady (actually I went to her twice and she messed up both times).

cathair
May 25th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I have been to two different 50+ I would guess hair dressers. One of them was very sympathetic to me wanting to grow my hair and only cut the tiniest amount, she eve cut some splits out of the front [thi was the last time I ever had my hair cut]. The other told me my hair was at terminal length just past shoulder.

I am not sure age is the factor I would be looking at. The sympathetic hair dresser also had long hair, which I knew she wanted to keep growing because she had told me so. The unsympathetic hair dresser had a pixie. One obviously liked long hair one didn't. I always look at the hairdressers own hair more than the setting or age.

Is the place scruffy or actually dirty? Scruffy wouldn't put me off, filthy combs and such might.

cathair
May 25th, 2014, 06:44 PM
My typing terrible, I apologize I can't edit.

Symphony
May 26th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I probably wouldn't go to the old salon. I don't want to catch something gross if things are not cleaned properly. I'm also a nurse and germaphobe, and I would literally be cringing the whole time. I would do the research to find a new, reputable stylist, or self trim. I have been cutting my hair for 10 years now... don't know if I will ever go back...

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Go with your gut, or, what's better, start self trimming methods! It is a lot of fun and you have a full control over your hair, which is a great feeling! Once I've started self trimming, I can't imagine to go back to the stylists!

Other than that, you can try just to go to talk with the younger stylist to see how she feels about your hair and wishes, and if you don't like it, go to the older lady - at least you went there before!

Give us an info how it went! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
May 26th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Good question! :D
I'd choose the one with prettier hair to be honest.

Selkie-
May 26th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Did the older woman do a good job the previous times she cut your hair? If you were happy with the hair cuts she gave you before them I would probably go back to her. If not, try the other woman, look around further at other salons or as others have mentioned, think about trying self-trimming.

Good luck. :)

LadyCelestina
May 26th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I would go to the older woman,as I'd imagine the late 20-30 year old woman would tend to be snarky towards me or cut too much because of her own issues.That's totally my imagination though.