PDA

View Full Version : anyone expert about cowlicks?

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
I have a widow's peak (slight) and cowlick in my forehead, (high five-finger forehead) but anyways, I've noticed lately that at the very start of my forehead, I have these tiny litle bald spots, like a hair or two are missing, more on one side (where the cowlick isn't so strong), and it stays kind of wide (missing those hairs) for like half a cm into my hairline and then fills in. My husband says (cuz I'm worried about it) that cowlicks can cause that, because they can cause more hair to go to one side and the other side to be less dense. Does this sound at all like it has some logic, or does anyone else notice this at their hairline, but it's not because it's thinning?? On the cowlick side, I have a "bald spot" but I can see in pics that it's been there for the last 15 years. the side that worries me is never seen in pictures so I can't confirm it. But it's almost like where the hair starts going in different directions, there are these little (gaps) without much hair. Hoping it's just a cowlick thing.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2d99a0d6682cfef8&page=play&resid=2D99A0D6682CFEF8%21166&parId=2D99A0D6682CFEF8%21165&type=1&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&authkey=%21AImW9Tu20gIKTL4https://snt148.afx.ms/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=d93f4553-e2a6-11e3-8216-d89d675f45c6&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid:29E55A776DEC4351BED1FDA137DD93F8%40Andr eaPC&cid=2d99a0d6682cfef8&shared=1&hm__login=mamaherrera&hm__domain=live.com&ip=10.148.170.8&d=d1697&mf=0&hm__ts=Fri%2c%2023%20May%202014%2018:20:13%20GMT&st=mamaherrera%25live.com%407&hm__ha=01_223292c28d5fae96e589a497057cbb52115d53fc b43ce8caed6fa95f16bd3d59&oneredir=1

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
That does look a little odd to me. Maybe you pulled hair out without you noticing (at night?), I wouldn't have any other explanation. Maybe it would be better if you took a wider picture of the cowlick. I haven't noticed my cowlicks behaving in this way, though...

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Here are some more pics. I have one on the other side, similar, a bit smaller that has been there for fifteen years (cuz I see it in pics). I have this one on that side, and it's even a bit wider if I open it up just right. But it's not from hairs being pulled out because it's been there for a couple months. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=5039 This is from years ago, that's the other side where you can see I have that one.
Here are two of my whole forehead.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=11116
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=11115

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=7372
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
It's very frustrating just on this site on how to post pics, so theres the whole album if you wouldn't mind taking a look. It's got me worried, but my husband says it's not cuz I'm balding.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't worry so much. Chances are you are getting overly fussy and worried over nothing. Bit like seeing your own imperfections much larger than anyone else would ever see them.

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks, it makes me very depressed, . .. because Ive had so large hair sheds in the past, so I'm very aware of imperfections. Do you think it's just a variance in my hairline?? It doesn't look like thinning to you? Just curious!

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
I think a lot, and I mean a *lot* depends on how you take a picture. I mean, if I came that close to my hairline, individual hairs would stand out as well. I don't think you can say it's a thinning hairline, IMMHO that is. I'm not sure what everyone else has to say, though. I'll leave that up to the rest of LHC. :) :oops:

Beborani
May 23rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
In picture 1 your hairline looks strong. I know what thinning hair at forehead looks like as i have seen it on mine for 30 something years and yours is not. What happens when you take a center part?

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I appreciate the thoughtout replies you both have given me. It gives me some calm. Yes I realize that photo was taken up close, but that was just to show you that the difference of those little "gaps" where these is space between hairs, some hairs. And thanks for reassurance on picture 1. That is recent. Of course some of my hairs from the "peak" are going off to the side, covering some of those "gappy" places on the sides. Center part looks great, actually. It's just on those sides of widow peak that some areas start off with a little "hole"/wider in the hairline, and then it turns into my normal part. But like I said, on those sides, it takes .5 centimer to turn into a "normal/thin" hairline. There are just a few little gaps in the front. But looking at pics as a teen (some are in that album) it's always been a little less dense at the beginning of my hairline. I just never NOTICED the little gaps, so now they draw my attention in badly! thanks so much for caring enough to give your time and opinion.

shutterpillar
May 23rd, 2014, 01:26 PM
I have the same problem with the thinness on the side with the cowlick being more apparent. In reality, one side is not thinner than the other, I just think the cowlick causes the hair to lay differently and causes a different appearance than what's on the other side of my head. I tend to part my hair on the other side to cover the cowlick up a bit, but really that's all I can do about it. I sleep with a sleeping cap and do not wear tight hair styles, so I have no idea where else I would have gotten premature thinning from. I don't suffer from any conditions that cause me to pull out my own hair, and I don't vigorously brush it either. :shrug:
I think it's probably just a natural occurrence and you shouldn't think too much of it. I used to be bothered by mine so much that I would cut bangs into my hair to cover it, but I'm trying to accept my hairline for what it is and have foregone the bangs in the past 6ish months.

you're a beautiful person from what I can see in your photos, and I wouldn't give your hairline much thought. I know that's easier said than done, but it looks fine to me. :)

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Those are very kind words that I needed to hear, not so much you saying I'm beautiful (thanks) but form hearing that my hairline looks fine to you. If you could look once more, I don't know if the picture of the "gap" still shows up on the thread, so I put it into the albumhttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=11117 Just because since you say you have a cowlick, I wanted to know if you have little gaps like this. Mine thinner side is actually opposite the way the cowlick goes. It's almost like all the hair went more to the other side, and left "this" side with less density. I also do not wear tight hair styles, because my temple hairs only grow two inches, so even if I wanted to, I can't pull my sides/forehead hair back into tight updos, they don't reach! And yes, I currently always have bangs to hide it, as I've become not only concerned with this, but the "receding" temples I've had too. Sincerely your votes of confidence make me feel better. Until you show it and ask about it, you tend to think you're the only one!

I have the same problem with the thinness on the side with the cowlick being more apparent. In reality, one side is not thinner than the other, I just think the cowlick causes the hair to lay differently and causes a different appearance than what's on the other side of my head. I tend to part my hair on the other side to cover the cowlick up a bit, but really that's all I can do about it. I sleep with a sleeping cap and do not wear tight hair styles, so I have no idea where else I would have gotten premature thinning from. I don't suffer from any conditions that cause me to pull out my own hair, and I don't vigorously brush it either. :shrug:
I think it's probably just a natural occurrence and you shouldn't think too much of it. I used to be bothered by mine so much that I would cut bangs into my hair to cover it, but I'm trying to accept my hairline for what it is and have foregone the bangs in the past 6ish months.

you're a beautiful person from what I can see in your photos, and I wouldn't give your hairline much thought. I know that's easier said than done, but it looks fine to me. :)

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Hairlines aren't even, aren't full all over, they vary in thickness, and that goes for all of us; it's all perfectly normal, mamaherrera. :flower:

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the flower, how sweet. I appreciated hearing that. My husband's been telling me that for months, but you know how it is, you want a women's opinion on something like this. Maybe mine just struggles to start in a couple of areas. Maybe now I can let this topic rest in my heart.

Beborani
May 23rd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Don't want to send you all off looking for more problems but female pattern baldness does not begin at temples or hairline--it happens right behind it--even women who are nearly bald will have thin layer of their original hairline intact.

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
So I won't start looking for signs of what you describe Beborani, right, but it's to make me feel better, no, that what I'm worried about isn't something to worry about. Right?? Thanks!

Beborani
May 23rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
Right mamaherrera!

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
But on the other hand I have heard that some women get MPB, in the same pattern as males. which had me worried since I have already a hairline kind of like young males, but my SO says if it were MPB, it wouldn't be just contained to a couple wide spots in the first half cm, but rather it would be throughout the front.

diddiedaisy
May 23rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Your hairline looks perfectly normal to me. I think everyone has some baby fine hairs there that don't seem to grow and I've yet to notice a perfect hairline on anybody. I think sometimes us women spot something that we've never particularly noticed before and blow it all out of proportion. Don't worry about it.

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
thanks very much!! I think that's the biggest problem, my eyes now see it as looking terrible, and you know how imagination can make us go nuts. So thanks for bringing me back to reality. It's those little gaps, that bug, but like someone said above, no hairline is perfectly and evenly dense, sometimes it has funky starts.

eadwine
May 23rd, 2014, 02:12 PM
If you really keep working, just go to your doctor and tell him/her. Ask to have your full blood drawn to check for any deficiencies, and if there are none then that part at least is ok :)

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 02:18 PM
Oh I've checked blood stuff before, I have some inflammation (stress) thyroid is low (I know ) but bloodwork shows it's fine. It's not anything a doctor would give two cents about, that's why I came here. but thanks

shutterpillar
May 23rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Those are very kind words that I needed to hear, not so much you saying I'm beautiful (thanks) but form hearing that my hairline looks fine to you. If you could look once more, I don't know if the picture of the "gap" still shows up on the thread, so I put it into the albumhttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=11117 Just because since you say you have a cowlick, I wanted to know if you have little gaps like this. Mine thinner side is actually opposite the way the cowlick goes. It's almost like all the hair went more to the other side, and left "this" side with less density. I also do not wear tight hair styles, because my temple hairs only grow two inches, so even if I wanted to, I can't pull my sides/forehead hair back into tight updos, they don't reach! And yes, I currently always have bangs to hide it, as I've become not only concerned with this, but the "receding" temples I've had too. Sincerely your votes of confidence make me feel better. Until you show it and ask about it, you tend to think you're the only one!

Yes, I have that gap as well. It's on the same side as my cowlick. I have one down the middle (which is my naturally occurring part) and one off to the left side, which is the side my cowlick is on. it doesn't go all the way to the back of my head, but hovers right behind the cowlick. It takes some maneuvering to hide it in updos. ;)

mamaherrera
May 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Oh goodness, thanks for taking a look. That makes me feel so better now. Now i can quit stressing, just to find one person like me. I too, have one on each side of the widow's peak. Just that this one was never documented in a pic, so I was worried and it's slightly bigger than the other one. But And yes mine goes into about .5 cm after the hairline, and then the hairs tighten up (closer together) . They are pretty symmetrical on both sides of the peak. I have a couple of other minor gaps, but they don't go back, there is just some space between those first hairs at the hairline, but these two gaps are more prominent. Thanks for looking again. I just wanted to know if others had these.