PDA

View Full Version : Hair breaking around face?

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Does anybody out there have ideas for hair that's breaking off around the face? Over the past couple years mine has been getting worse and worse in that regard until it's really difficult to do any updos that look neat for any length of time--they just look really raggy in the front almost immediately.

One thing that might have made this worse is wearing my hair down, which I tend to do every other day (after I wash it) for most of the day...I've tried braiding it or putting it up on that first day after I wash it, but then it dries really funny. Also I like my hair down better...maybe I'll just have to get over that. My hair used to be coarser and could take a lot more rough usage, but near the end of high school it got a lot finer and started to break and get a ton of split ends.

I usually wash my hair every other day, using Tresemme shampoo on the scalp only and then Tresemme conditioner focusing on the ends and under-layer. I comb it out with a wide-toothed comb when it's still wet and then don't do anything to it until it's totally dry.

If anybody has tips, I'd be really grateful! :)

eadwine
May 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM
Just wondering.. when you look at those hairs.. do they have pointy ends or are they blunt at the ends?

The reason I am asking is that if they are pointy, those hairs are likely just falling out, having reached their terminal length. Some hairs just don't get longer than a certain point, annoying, I know!

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
The ends are blunt, not pointy at all, and hardly any of the short ones have split ends.

sourgrl
May 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Are you using a sleep cap? Some members have experienced breakage around the face from them.

I experienced breakage in that area when I was using regular pillow cases. Haven't had an issue with breakage since using silk pillow cases. Now I have tons of baby hairs every where around my face.

florenonite
May 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
One thing that might have made this worse is wearing my hair down, which I tend to do every other day (after I wash it) for most of the day...I've tried braiding it or putting it up on that first day after I wash it, but then it dries really funny.

What about doing a quarter- or half-up after washing? I have to wear my hair down when it's drying, too, but I often pin back the hair around my face as it bothers me.

How long does your hair take to dry? Unless it's taking the full day, you could maybe keep a hairstick handy so you can bun it once it's dry.

Of course, neither of those solves the problem of you preferring it down, but if wearing it down is causing damage then you'll have to decide if it's worth it for you.

Flor
May 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
I would be willing to get good money that shorter hair around your face is just hair with shorter terminal length (or new growth). We all have those baby hairs close to hairline that only grow 0.5-3 inches long. And yes, they do tend to stick out every each way sometimes.

eadwine
May 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Flor: shouldn't they have tapered ends?

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Does anybody out there have ideas for hair that's breaking off around the face? Over the past couple years mine has been getting worse and worse in that regard until it's really difficult to do any updos that look neat for any length of time--they just look really raggy in the front almost immediately.

If it's just a few hairs, it's perfectly normal. My updos *never* look neat. If it's chunks, then I'd worry. But a few stringy hairs, normal. Like eadwine said, look at the tips. Hairs around the hairline typically don't live long.

hennalonghair
May 23rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
I would be willing to get good money that shorter hair around your face is just hair with shorter terminal length (or new growth). We all have those baby hairs close to hairline that only grow 0.5-3 inches long. And yes, they do tend to stick out every each way sometimes.
Absolutely. Your hair could possibly be changing texture due to seasonal changes, product usage and/ or hormonal changes. Perhaps now you are just more aware of them because of this.
Im not sure what to recommend. I found massaging a bit of tea tree oil and peppermint on my scalp focussing on my hairline really helped and now when I clean and moisturize I make sure to condition these hairs well.
Most of the hairs around my face ( hairline ) have always been shorter and more fragile. Ive only recently paid more attention to it.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
Unless you are aware of hairs breaking, I would assume these are merely new hairs. I always have a lot of short and rather fly-away hairs around my face. Twirling them around wet, very lightly gelled fingers tames them.

Oh, and broken-off hairs tend to look ragged and even split at the ends, not blunt. New hairs do generally look rather pointy, though. I'm not sure what mechanism would result in blunt ends except cutting.

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Are you using a sleep cap? Some members have experienced breakage around the face from them.

I experienced breakage in that area when I was using regular pillow cases. Haven't had an issue with breakage since using silk pillow cases. Now I have tons of baby hairs every where around my face.

I've just been using a regular pillow case...I may try a silk one. Thank you. :)

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM

I was hoping that was it, but it's not just a few hairs...it's a number of small sections of hair.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 11:50 AM
I was hoping that was it, but it's not just a few hairs...it's a number of small sections of hair.

Might you have pictures of that? Just so we can see, and possibly put your mind at ease?

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Unless you are aware of hairs breaking, I would assume these are merely new hairs. I always have a lot of short and rather fly-away hairs around my face. Twirling them around wet, very lightly gelled fingers tames them.

Oh, and broken-off hairs tend to look ragged and even split at the ends, not blunt. New hairs do generally look rather pointy, though. I'm not sure what mechanism would result in blunt ends except cutting.

Hmm. I haven't been cutting the hair around my face at all...I don't know how the ends would get blunt like that. Maybe I have the wrong idea of what blunt ends are. :P
Thank you. :)

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Might you have pictures of that? Just so we can see, and possibly put your mind at ease?

I'll try to put a picture in as soon as I can figure out my camera. :)

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
I don't know how to insert a picture. I will try with a link: Moderation -- removed the link, on the chance that you don't want to share your Facebook ID with everyone.

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Sorry, that didn't work. Facebook won't let me make that one photo public.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Woops, sorry. :( Can you upload it to a site like Photobucket or some such, then post the image link?

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
I uploaded one to Photobucket...here it is...a picture that captured how the broken-short part typically behaves (tucked behind my ear in this photo): http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y497/ursibethenge/IMG_0483_zps382be1af.jpg

florenonite
May 23rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Those look like normal around-the-face hairs to me. Are you sure they're broken?

Anje
May 23rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
When you do wear it up, how are you securing it? That looks a lot like ponytail breakage to me.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
It looks like it's a big chunk. Has that been cut in its lifespan?

Lauram
May 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I have a lot of sections all around my hairline growing in after post pardem hair loss. I'm sure it's throughout my hair too but it's most noticeable around my face. They get all flippy and are annoying. I can't wait till they grow long enough to blend in more.
Did you have any large sheds in the last year? It seems like a large clump of hair all to the same length. Hopefully it grows quickly into the rest.

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Those look like normal around-the-face hairs to me. Are you sure they're broken?

I'm pretty sure they're broken because I didn't have this problem before.

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
When you do wear it up, how are you securing it? That looks a lot like ponytail breakage to me.

Usually when I do wear my hair up I do a French braid...although I probably wear it in a ponytail about once or twice a week. I hadn't realized that would break it off; thanks for letting me know! :)

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 04:21 PM
It looks like it's a big chunk. Has that been cut in its lifespan?

I had bangs when I was younger, but I started growing them out about ten years ago. I think most of the shorter hair is from that section that used to be bangs.

Lady Una
May 23rd, 2014, 04:22 PM
And replying to Lauram--no, I haven't had any large sheds at all, ever, that I can recall.

Lindenare
May 23rd, 2014, 05:07 PM
I noticed from your picture that you wear glasses, which may well be the cause of your shorter sections. I also have glasses and have some hair around my face that is shorter than the rest from getting caught in the hinges of my glasses. When I try to extract the caught hairs, there will nearly always be at least one broken hair, and others will be sharply crimped, which I assume would make them more likely to break in that spot. I've been trying to minimize this damage by wearing my hair in styles that keep hair away from my glasses, but I don't expect to see significant change for months at least. Hope this helps!

ErinLeigh
May 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
I get these broken hairs. Mostly from my glasses ripping them but sometimes from sleeping without my satin pillowcase. My temples are a bit thinner than rest of hair due to this (plus I think that hair is just finer and weaker by design).
I find hemp seed oil helps strengthen my strands to resist snapping. I apply post wash on damp or dry hair. It helps wither way. I also use Panacea on the temples when I want to give them a little layer of protection.
Oiling with coconut oil the night before a wash has also helped I notice.

hennalonghair
May 24th, 2014, 05:13 AM

Ive gotta agree with this. Aftrr seeing your picture it shows that much of the breakage is right about the place where your pony tail holder would be and if youve got fragile hair surround your face, perhaps this is too much mechanical manipulation and frictiin for this.
Pretty hair. Such a tidy looking french braid

Lady Una
May 24th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Thank you! :)