PDA

View Full Version : How do you style your layered hair?

momschicklets
May 22nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
So I'm in need of some ideas. :confused: My hair is layered from below my cheekbone down, and is a little longer than collarbone now. And I'm just sort of stuck on how to style it now that it's getting longer. I generally wash, air dry, and scrunch the waves with a little light gel and hope for the best LOL I generally don't brush my hair, although I do comb it. I usually aim for simple, although I would put a little more effort into it to make it look nice.

Anyone here have layers with some styling tips? What is your favorite way to style your hair?? I might need it spelled out a bit if you're willing :)

Oh and pictures would be a bonus ;)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 22nd, 2014, 11:12 PM
Hi there,
My hair is a little longer now (not quite BSL) and I'm working on growing my layers out, but when it was shorter one of my favorite ways to wear it was piled up on top of my head in a pony tail/bun/mass of curls with a scarf tied around my head. Kind of like a retro, Rosie the Riveter type thing. Scarves/bandanas were my best friend at that length. As far as how to style layers to wear them down..... I have no idea. That's why I'm growing mine out :p

momschicklets
May 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM
Hi there,
My hair is a little longer now (not quite BSL) and I'm working on growing my layers out, but when it was shorter one of my favorite ways to wear it was piled up on top of my head in a pony tail/bun/mass of curls with a scarf tied around my head. Kind of like a retro, Rosie the Riveter type thing. Scarves/bandanas were my best friend at that length. As far as how to style layers to wear them down..... I have no idea. That's why I'm growing mine out :p

Sounds very cute...I'll have to try and find pics and detailed instructions because I can assure you to try it without would not be pretty. :D

I tend to wear my hair down, though, so that's sort of what I'm looking for....anyone do blowouts? Rollers? Maybe some sort of half-up idea that's easy? Maybe I'll go lurk around the updo thread :bigeyes:

jacqueline101
May 23rd, 2014, 06:29 AM
My layers are sort of v hemline and I've gotten into braids I just stop the braids where my v is that way it doesn't unravel.

Beborani
May 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Are you scrunching with gel wet or dry? It needs to be wet and then remain untouched until completely dry- naturally curly site should have some tips for your hairtype.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2014, 11:08 AM
I used to twist up the back and secure with a claw clip around that length, leaving the ends free.

Or I'd tuck in the ends and secure with bobby pins or roller pins, more of a french twist kinda style.

Or wear down scrunched with gel. Occasionally I'd roll it on my electric rollers - not often at all, preferring to avoid heat damage. Oh, and I did blow-dry it occasionally for a smoother style.

LunaHuntress
May 23rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
My layers are shoulder length at the shortest, BSL at the longest. I've given up on trying to do some of the more complicated braids and updos the longer, non-layered people here can do and am focusing on half ups and accent braids for now. Yesterday I made two accent side rope braids and joined them together at the back (and got compliments from three coworkers :) ) You could try different French braid styles (French rope, French fishtail, etc.) and use a little leave in to keep the shorter layers in place. Good luck.

lapushka
May 24th, 2014, 05:49 PM
My hair is hip+, and layered all the way to APL+. Because it's so long it's always in an updo (LWB or cinnabun), so it doesn't bother me. Wearing updos is really the way to go, IMO.

Simone_Fatale
May 24th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I've got layered hair somewhere between shoulder and APL, the layers start near shoulder except from my fringe which is chin length. It's wavy so it always looks better with layers. I usually just scrunch it while drying and put my fringe in a roller or do pin curls which are easy to make and make great curls or waves when combed out a bit.

ErinLeigh
May 24th, 2014, 07:39 PM
My hair is layered around jaw to the length which is CBL.
I do a side part, round brush my bangs to the side, round brush the other side of what is left of the little pieces or bangs there. I also do a quick round brush of the top for volume...the rest just do what it wants.
My hair is naturally wurly but ever since the keratin in October it still lays fairly straight. I style the front the same regardless.

If I want hair to look nice I do round brush all of it. I use the big 4 or 5 inch round brushes. Sometimes will follow with large rollers for extra volume.
Half ups do not look good on me and I cannot braid hair due to the layer lengths. Buns looks extremely spare and silly so If I am wearing hair up I just grab it all in a peacock twist and clip with a claw clip.
another inch or so and I will be able to go back to hair sticks.

DweamGoiL
May 24th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I had typed a whole detailed answer for you, but that darned 5 minute rule struck again...anyways. I basically scrunch with gel and a little Monoi Oil. My hair is fine and wavy and this works well with it. If I want it straighter then I let it dry in a damp bun on top of my head or if I am going to bed, and still want waves, I will pineapple it and make sure it's draped across the top of my pillow and by morning, it's dry and wavy.

I like the layers because I have a lot of hair and at WL, it would be really heavy and triangly at the bottom without them. The layers allow me to wear my hair down on most days. I bun on the third day after wash day when it starts looking greasy.

spirals
May 26th, 2014, 11:10 PM
I have an elongated shag, on purpose. When it's down to dry after washing, my herbal rinse supplies a little bit of hold to my curls. I comb it out with a wide-tooth comb, then put some putty in my bangs and either comb them to the sides or sometimes blowdry them with a diffusor if I want curly bangs. If I'm really short on time, I put a headband on. The rest of my layers fall into place perfectly. I just let them airdry. On non-washdays, I either brush it out with detangler or spray with curling spray and scrunch. Any way I do it, the layers fall correctly because I've learned how to cut them. No one knows your hair better than you, so self-cutting is a useful tool.