PDA

View Full Version : Ideally where should layers begin on hip length hair?

glitterbug
May 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM
:oHi all!

I'm getting a layered cut soon, but I will need to explain to the hair dresser how short I want the layers, etc. I would like to know ideally where the layers should start from if my hair stops at my hips, I also will want some face framing too :) any tips, on getting layers would be appreciated, I also dont want the layers to thin my ends too much either!

Thanks a lot ;)

spidermom
May 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Use your search engine and find pictures; that communicates far better than words.

My longest ends are brushing hip length, but the shortest layers are around BSL, and I have a steep U shape, also bangs and a bit of face framing bits. I wanted a lot of layering, though. You may not.

lapushka
May 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I have hip+ and my shortest layer is APL+, it used to be hip/APL, but then it grew. :) It's been cut with one of the compact cuts (self styling) methods, the ponytail on top of the forehead one, for short layers. Might want to consider cutting them yourself? No? :)

HintOfMint
May 20th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I have hip length hair and I have a similar texture/thickness to you and I also have layers. Aside from some bangs and face framers, my layers start at around waist. For me, any more drastic the distance between my shortest layer and my length, and the ends start to look thin and over-layered.

Good luck at the hairdresser's!

sourgrl
May 20th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Thank you, HintOfMint. This is helpful to me. I've been considering keeping my layers as I don't think a blunt hemline would look flattering on me once I reach my goal length. The only time my layers are a pain are in braids, which I really only wear to bed. The challenge is finding someone that knows how to cut layers right :-/

I have hip length hair and I have a similar texture/thickness to you and I also have layers. Aside from some bangs and face framers, my layers start at around waist. For me, any more drastic the distance between my shortest layer and my length, and the ends start to look thin and over-layered.

Good luck at the hairdresser's!

HumanBean
May 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I'm approaching hip and I have sideswept bangs with face framing layers that graze my collarbone (I curl these in loose ringlets when I pull them out), and my serious layers start at APL. I have a V shaped hem.

glitterbug
May 21st, 2014, 05:02 AM
I'm approaching hip and I have sideswept bangs with face framing layers that graze my collarbone (I curl these in loose ringlets when I pull them out), and my serious layers start at APL. I have a V shaped hem.

Hey thanks that was quite helpful, would you know for layers starting at the armpit, how much hair would need to be cut? This is a confusing question but I dont know how much in thickness or how big the section would need to be cut for starting at armpit length.

glitterbug
May 21st, 2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone- I'm going to get a gradual layer look, but I wondered how much of a section width should be cut for the layers to start at armpit length with out losing overall hair thickness and thin ends? Sorry for such a confusing question but I want the hairdresser to do this right.

SkyChild
May 21st, 2014, 09:10 AM
Phew, that's quite a question! Maybe try and work it out by taking sections of your hair and sort of folding them and pinning to show the length of layers you'd like? Then you'll be able to work out the section width that looks best without just chopping straight away?

lapushka
May 21st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Phew, that's quite a question!

I agree. Maybe that's best left to the hairdresser. Just say you don't want thick layers, just subtle layers and just a few of them.

HumanBean
May 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM
It's not much. Here's the pic I took right after the cut.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/b3ae43895dd1a5acff3315cb2e19f9d3.jpg

ErinLeigh
May 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
HumanBean how were they cut? Did you do it or a stylist. If stylist what did you say to get what you wanted?
Hair looks lovely by the way.

HumanBean
May 22nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
My stylist that I've had for years. I've self trimmed twice (Feyes method, no attempt at layers) since starting to grow my hair out and I've seen him three times. The first cut I was BSL when I went in and he took off more than I said (about 4"), but in retrospect he was cutting off damage so I wasn't too upset. The second time I was MBL and asked for layers and I got them, but he was super conservative about it probably 'cause I really stressed to keep as much length as possible. This last time - the pic above - I just detailed where I wanted the layers to start and that I wanted a deep V hemline. I had pics to show him but didn't actually end up showing them. As you can see he did fine. The style of his shop is retro glamour, like old Hollywood, so he does do a lot of long haired people, though more like BSL, and his own hair is shoulder length, so I guess between that and my explanations we are just getting better at communicating.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
It looks really pretty, HumanBean!

PraiseCheeses
May 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
It's not much. Here's the pic I took right after the cut.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/b3ae43895dd1a5acff3315cb2e19f9d3.jpg

Gorgeous hair and hemline! That cut is very flattering to both your hair and your figure. :)