PDA

View Full Version : Can you make leave in conditioner from a hair masque?

missmex
May 20th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I have been dying to buy It's a 10 leave in for a while now, but feel guilty spending near $40 for a bottle big enough for my amount of hair. I have the It's a 10 hair masque (which I love) and wondered if I could use that and concoct a leave-in with it. Is it possible, or are chemicals and the nature of it not ideal? If you guys have awesome leave-in recipes instead, that'd be great! Thanks! :)

ErinLeigh
May 20th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I don't know if its "right" or not but I do it with my Redken extreme builder plus mask.
I mix a dollop in a 2iz mister with water and drop of favorite oil. It works well for me.
Sometimes when I deep condition I don't rinse out 100percent so I figured if that was ok mixing my deep conditioner in a mister would be ok. I only make enough for a few days at a time so the water doesn't get yucky.

They sell the trial size Its a 10 in drugstores for $10. Maybe get a small one and compare how it feels vs your mix?

Nadine <3
May 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I don't see why not. I make leave it with my regular conditioner all the time. I just add a few gobs of it into a spray bottle and fill the rest with water and shake. Works well and it's cheep. Just make small amounts so it gets used up before it goes icky.

missmex
May 20th, 2014, 07:21 PM
ErinLeigh, that's a great idea! What oils do you recommend for oily hair? I think I will snatch the small size to compare. And Nadine, yeah I did not know it could go "bad," makes sense why my old homemade leave-in was kinda weird smelling after a while.

woodswanderer
May 20th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Try distiller water to keep it fresh longer.

meteor
May 20th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Yep, I do this all the time. I use conditioners and masks interchangeably, leave-in, rinse-out, detangler,... whatever! I always judge by the ingredients list and also take into account the texture of the product (because it affects application and the way it feels on hair), but I don't care what it says on the label. Sometimes I'll dilute a small amount of conditioner/mask in water and add a tiny bit of oil, honey, aloe or vinegar, if I have time.