PDA

View Full Version : New "Topcoat" for hair - article

MeowScat
May 19th, 2014, 03:45 PM
It's supposed to help your hair dry faster. I'd never use it, but I thought I'd share the article. I've never posted a link so I hope this works:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2632840/A-quick-dry-topcoat-hair-FEMAIL-tests-new-spray-promises-cut-blow-dry-time-half.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2632840/A-quick-dry-topcoat-hair-FEMAIL-tests-new-spray-promises-cut-blow-dry-time-half.html)

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Sounds very promising, but I am not seeing anything exceptional in the silicones+oils formula:
Cyclomethicone, dimethicone, isopropyl myristate, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), phenyl trimethicone, wheat germ oil.

I am very curious which ingredient helps the hair dry faster... I was always under the impression that oils and silicones slow down water evaporation rather than speed it up.

I have a few products with similar enough formulations and they do work to give nice shine and fight frizz, but they are by no means irreplaceable to me.

florenonite
May 19th, 2014, 03:58 PM
So the general premise seems to be that high-porosity hair takes longer to dry than low-porosity hair, and so you fill in the 'gaps' in high-porosity hair to make it dry faster. I can't say I'm convinced; everything I've read about porosity says that higher-porosity hair dries faster, and this is borne out by my own experiences.

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 04:05 PM
So the general premise seems to be that high-porosity hair takes longer to dry than low-porosity hair, and so you fill in the 'gaps' in high-porosity hair to make it dry faster. I can't say I'm convinced; everything I've read about porosity says that higher-porosity hair dries faster, and this is borne out by my own experiences.
This^. There is no question in my mind that water (as well as all other penetrating chemicals) enters and leaves porous hair faster... research shows it, my porous highlights show it.
I think, it might be a marketing issue: they call it a "top coat" to express the idea that hair will get a nice, glossy "finish" with those cones and oils, and that it will be somewhat protected from humidity frizzing it up and messing up your look.

mira-chan
May 19th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Ingredients: Cyclomethicone, dimethicone, isopropyl myristate, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), phenyl trimethicone, wheat germ oil

So it probably lacquers hair pretty much. Might be a pain to wash off with milder detergents but it might be something the local cone lovers might like. If used on wet hair it probably seals the moisture in nicely as well. Though it is suggested for before blowdrying so it might not shorten the drying time as much for air drying.

HintOfMint
May 19th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I've seen marketing like this for silicone serums on Ulta, so I don't think it's a terribly new concept. Basically, it was for heavy duty serums that were supposed to, in theory, "shrink wrap" hair.

MeowScat
May 20th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I wish my hair liked cones, but it gets so tangly and rough-feeling. My hair reacts the opposite to what cone-lovers rave about. I guess it's because my hair isn't very porous. Who knows.