PDA

View Full Version : Update to my routine

sarahthegemini
May 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Hi guys, as you know I have been having issues with my hair lately. As it happens, my hair is still getting greasy and/or limp the day after washing - regardless of whether I have shampooed or co-washed; so I have resorted to washing daily. I am continuing to co-wash and using a little leave in conditioner on my ends and nothing else. Using a rinse out condish (at least the one I usually would use) is too much for my fine hair at the moment.

I am happy that this now means I have fresh feeling hair everyday and I actually enjoy the wash process, the only gripe I have is drying time. But at least I can stop obsessing and thinking "will my hair be okay tomorrow?" as I plan to wash it anyway :)

Because I have been strictly co-washing since September, all of the recent shampooing/clarifying/chelating (i.e. attempts at getting my hair back to normal) have dried it out a little though I think it's better today. Although I have terrible lighting in my new house so assessing whether or not my hair looks dry is quite challenging! It definitely needs more moisture though to bring my waves back in full force. I'm hoping this will happen over time. When I started co, it took months for my waves to really come out, hopefully it won't take that long again!

My only worry is, will washing daily dry out my hair? Aside from that concern, i'm quite happy. I mean it's a bit of a PITA but oh well. I think it's the Summer heat that's to blame tbh.

Johannah
May 19th, 2014, 08:35 AM
It's great to hear you're happy with your new routine!

There are a lot of people who wash their hair daily, especially with CO. I don't think it's that damaging for your hair at all.

P.s. someone on this forum has tried to put peppermint EO in their conditioner (she does CO every day as well). It made her hair grow faster. Maybe it's something to try? :p

sarahthegemini
May 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
It's great to hear you're happy with your new routine!

There are a lot of people who wash their hair daily, especially with CO. I don't think it's that damaging for your hair at all.

P.s. someone on this forum has tried to put peppermint EO in their conditioner (she does CO every day as well). It made her hair grow faster. Maybe it's something to try? :p

That's something to consider, thanks! :)

I may try experimenting with diluted shampoo as opposed to co-washing or full strength 'poo and see what happens. The great thing about washing daily? Not having to wait long to try something new out :p

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 01:00 PM
If washing daily works for you, go for it! But before you do, have you tried dry shampoos? Or maybe using a clay mask once in a while to absorb extra greasies?

Personally, I don't like the idea of washing daily due to time constraints, hygral fatigue and potential mechanical damage from manipulating wet hair. It helps that my scalp is dry-ish. I think if I wash my hair only 52 times a year (if I wash weekly) versus 365 times a year (if I wash daily) results in saving my hair from a lot of unnecessary damage in the long run. But not everybody can stretch washes.

ExpectoPatronum
May 19th, 2014, 01:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with washing daily, especially if you're co-washing as it's really gentle. I tend to wash my hair daily in the summer too. Not only does my hair get greasier, but I tend to swim every day and I don't like to let chlorine sit in my hair. Before learning how to care for long hair, I was a daily washer and I never noticed anything negative from it. I stretch washes now to conserve water and because of the drying time. I'd wash daily all year round if I had the patience!

spidermom
May 19th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Right now I'm wondering if we shouldn't be worrying so much about our hair but more about our scalp health. I've been washing only as often as absolutely necessary for years now, diluting my shampoo when I do wash, and now I have seborrheic dermatitis, a rash that makes my scalp itch terribly. If I'm not careful to keep my nails clippered down to nothing, I scratch holes in my scalp.

The doctor couldn't tell me what caused the seborrheic dermatitis, but I can't help but wonder if keeping my scalp more clean would have prevented it. The doctor did tell me to dry my hair after washing, not to sit around with wet hair.

P.S: Some of you know that my granddaughter and I recently went through lice treatment. That didn't do it. I developed the dermatitis before that.

lapushka
May 19th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Right now I'm wondering if we shouldn't be worrying so much about our hair but more about our scalp health. I've been washing only as often as absolutely necessary for years now, diluting my shampoo when I do wash, and now I have seborrheic dermatitis, a rash that makes my scalp itch terribly. If I'm not careful to keep my nails clippered down to nothing, I scratch holes in my scalp.

The doctor couldn't tell me what caused the seborrheic dermatitis, but I can't help but wonder if keeping my scalp more clean would have prevented it. The doctor did tell me to dry my hair after washing, not to sit around with wet hair.

P.S: Some of you know that my granddaughter and I recently went through lice treatment. That didn't do it. I developed the dermatitis before that.

There was a time when I was only able to get my hair washed every two weeks. That lasted for quite some time, and my SD flared like crazy! Then we used Nizoral on it for a fair number of weeks, until it subsided. For as long as the two-week-stretch lasted, there was SD again. Back to the Nizoral! It only cleared up when I went back to weekly washes (and after using the Nizoral, of course). Only washing with a harsh cleanser keeps my SD at bay. It does have *something* to do with cleanliness, at least IMMHO.

I'd stop diluting the shampoo, for one, *after* the SD has been cleared up, though.

jacqueline101
May 19th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I'm glad you have found a routine that works but I do hope you take care of your scalp. I don't know if your routine will keep your scalp healthy. I worry about my scalp health at times.

starlamelissa
May 20th, 2014, 02:57 PM

my husband has sebhorratic dermatitis, and must wash daily with a strong dandruff shampoo, and uses lava bar soap on any affected patches.

Less washing equals more flaring.

starlamelissa
May 20th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I keep my scalp healthy in summer with frequent cleaning. Sometimes I just comb kiwi lime vo5 through in the shower to save time.

two_wheels
May 20th, 2014, 05:54 PM

I agree with this too. I need SLS for scalp health- not every day, but at least every 3-4 days. I make it up to my hair with pre-wash oiling when I can remember.

MeowScat
May 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM
What about doing scalp washes? It'll save your length and get the greasies out of your scalp hair. I've been doing them for a couple years and they're great, but it took a few tries to get it right.

Charybdis
May 21st, 2014, 01:08 AM

I have SD problems also (lifelong), and find that I *must* shampoo at least twice per week to keep things under control, and I have to use SLS/SLES at least every couple of weeks (more often if the water is really hard). The damp scalp issue is why I always leave my hair loose at night, so that my scalp gets a good airing, even if it's a little harder on my hair. Also, if I've been exercising or doing anything else that makes me sweaty, I try to let my hair down and allow my scalp to dry afterwards, especially the area right above the nape of the neck. No damp bunning for me!